Game of Thrones Part Deax: The Readers Thread

Kevin

they replaced the jousting girl on the pig with the Varys

Maybe... It would make sense to do so if you're not going to focus on Tyrion finding his wife. But, since it looks like they do end up in Yunki (sp) and the fighting pits, they could keep her around. I'm not sure Varys would be taken as a slave like Tyrion, Mormont, and the girl would have. But maybe...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that will be interesting to see years from now is how much Martin strays from the TV show when he writes his final book (if he ever gets around to it). Last I heard, the show has the ending already and just needs to get to it. How much will Martin deviate from anything they write?

One thing that will be interesting to see years from now is how much Martin strays from the TV show when he writes his final book (if he ever gets around to it). Last I heard, the show has the ending already and just needs to get to it. How much will Martin deviate from anything they write?

Very true. I would imagine it would be tough for Martin not to be influenced by the direction the show takes when it begins to deviate, which in many ways it already has. He's not only the author of the book series, he's taken a growing interest (it seems from the outside) in executive producing and writing episodes of the series itself. The man started off in TV as a writer, and I assume he's been collaborating a ton with Benioff and Weiss on all the season arcs thus far (TV is a very collaborative medium, more so than any other form of writing, even film). I'd think it might be impossible to untangle the two when GRRM sits down to work on the final books of the series.

It absolutely doesn't follow. It's completely different from the books. But they showed us Varys leaving on the boat with Tyrion at the end of the last season, so it's not surprising that he's paired with him on his journey to Danny for the show considering how much bigger of a character Varys is in the world of the TV show compared to the books. That was all I was saying.

Because they changed so much of Tyrion's exit from King's Landing, I would expect a ton of his story will change when he crosses the narrow sea. You'd think he has to meet the prince at some point, but I could also see them changing all of that if they wanted.

Well, IIRC we don't really know what happens to Varys after the death of Joffrey, do we? I think he just disappears, and doesn't re-emerge until the end of Book 5, though I'll admit I don't remember it very well at this point and could be wrong. I thought he re-emerged in King's Landing to facilitate the death of Kevin Lannister, in order to help perpetuate the chaos that could assist in the return of the Targaryen kid.

Of course, I don't believe GRRM imagined he went east with Tyrion, but I suppose the TV show could do almost anything with him at this point.

Well, IIRC we don't really know what happens to Varys after the death of Joffrey, do we? I think he just disappears, and doesn't re-emerge until the end of Book 5, though I'll admit I don't remember it very well at this point and could be wrong. I thought he re-emerged in King's Landing to facilitate the death of Kevin Lannister, in order to help perpetuate the chaos that could assist in the return of the Targaryen kid.

Of course, I don't believe GRRM imagined he went east with Tyrion, but I suppose the TV show could do almost anything with him at this point.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I need to go back through the last book again. I read them all back-to-back-to-back which kind of blurred a lot of it for me. He does kind of vanish around that time.

Very true. I would imagine it would be tough for Martin not to be influenced by the direction the show takes when it begins to deviate, which in many ways it already has. He's not only the author of the book series, he's taken a growing interest (it seems from the outside) in executive producing and writing episodes of the series itself. The man started off in TV as a writer, and I assume he's been collaborating a ton with Benioff and Weiss on all the season arcs thus far (TV is a very collaborative medium, more so than any other form of writing, even film). I'd think it might be impossible to untangle the two when GRRM sits down to work on the final books of the series.

I didn't know he was working with the show. For some reason, I thought that he was at odds with them over something. I'm probably mistaken. It's good to know that the show will likely have his fingerprints on it at the end though. Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I didn't know he was working with the show. For some reason, I thought that he was at odds with them over something. I'm probably mistaken. It's good to know that the show will likely have his fingerprints on it at the end though.

From everything I've heard, he's very involved with the show and in fact shared where the books are going with the two showrunners so that they'd know how to steer the ship in case he fell behind with the books. He wrote the episode with the first attack on King's Landing (the wild fire episode) and I think he wrote one or two more in subsequent seasons.

IIRC that is the lase we hear of him (so far)

From everything I've heard, he's very involved with the show and in fact shared where the books are going with the two showrunners so that they'd know how to steer the ship in case he fell behind with the books. He wrote the episode with the first attack on King's Landing (the wild fire episode) and I think he wrote one or two more in subsequent seasons.

Martin can offer insight on characters, but the story has diverted enough that even the 2 ends may differ quite a bit IMO

I'm guessing the TV show writers are going to deviate strongly from GRRMs plans for the books for one main reason: to give the fans of the books a reason to keep watching. I know plenty of readers who will not watch the show anymore until the books come out because they don't want it spoiled. But if they publicly state that the show is going to be very different than what GRRM told them, then it won't necessarily be spoiled.

Tough sell, though.

I'm guessing the TV show writers are going to deviate strongly from GRRMs plans for the books for one main reason: to give the fans of the books a reason to keep watching. I know plenty of readers who will not watch the show anymore until the books come out because they don't want it spoiled. But if they publicly state that the show is going to be very different than what GRRM told them, then it won't necessarily be spoiled.

Tough sell, though.

they made that turn in the road a while ago,

Anyone see or heard of or see Damphair Greyjoy or his brother(s) on the TV show?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

they made that turn in the road a while ago,

Anyone see or heard of or see Damphair Greyjoy or his brother(s) on the TV show?

They made somewhat of a turn, true, but they still kept things fairly close to most of the main story arcs. At least, close enough. The descriptions of the first three episodes of Season 5 tells me they're still keeping most of the main story arcs, but the other information leads me to believe it will deviate much more as the season goes on.

I haven't heard anything about Damphair, but my recollection is the Season 5 casting call did not include any new Greyjoys. So not a great sign.

They made somewhat of a turn, true, but they still kept things fairly close to most of the main story arcs. At least, close enough. The descriptions of the first three episodes of Season 5 tells me they're still keeping most of the main story arcs, but the other information leads me to believe it will deviate much more as the season goes on.

I haven't heard anything about Damphair, but my recollection is the Season 5 casting call did not include any new Greyjoys. So not a great sign.

To me its a spoiler into the last 2 books. the Greyjoys get :death: . all those chapters read wasted!!! :lol: :lol:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I'm kind of pleased they are bringing back Jaqen H'ghar this soon.

Oh the havoc Arya could bring to Kings Landing

They're bringing back the Faceless Assassin guy? Sweet, that guy was kickass

And yes, I suspect Arya will do some damage

Not into the Gotham show.

You should give it a try. They foreshadow the Batman stuff periodically but for the most part its a dark crime/cop show. There are some flashes of old school Mafia where you can almost hear the Godfather trumpets in the back of your mind