Brandon Spikes Predicting two W's against Pats

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Spikes is on the field the Pats will go spread and scheme him into coverage to take advantage of his inept coverage skills

unless you think hes sitting on the bench all day.... he will be forced to cover someone, and probably with some regularity.

I think it'll be a matchup-type situation...when NE is in a big set he'll stay in the game; he'll come out when they go to a spread. Sure there will be times when they flex their TEs to try and draw a mismatch, which is when a smart DC would have a defensive shift to allow Spikes to blitz or get help.

My point is that the Bills aren't going to simply play into Brady's hands by giving Spikes a 1-on-1 coverage assignment.

I think it'll be a matchup-type situation...when NE is in a big set he'll stay in the game; he'll come out when they go to a spread. Sure there will be times when they flex their TEs to try and draw a mismatch, which is when a smart DC would have a defensive shift to allow Spikes to blitz or get help.

My point is that the Bills aren't going to simply play into Brady's hands by giving Spikes a 1-on-1 coverage assignment.

Brady is the master of matchup mismatches. If Spikes is on the field you can bet that Brady will be in no huddle and will spread the Bills out forcing the matchup he wants on Spikes eventually rendering Spikes to the bench.

Sure there will be times when they flex their TEs to try and draw a mismatch, which is when a smart DC would have a defensive shift to allow Spikes to blitz or get help.

you just identified exactly what their offense has been predicated on for the last couple years with gronk (and formerly hernandez) and a back like vereen... its versatile and exploits guys like spikes. if hes in, they have the personnel to be dynamic passing and if you pull him you can bunch up and run on the nickel package.

whether gronk is healthy, and what they add in the draft could change that, but spikes is essentially the prototype of what you dont want when defending the pats.

Edited by NoSaint

Brady is the master of matchup mismatches. If Spikes is on the field you can bet that Brady will be in no huddle and will spread the Bills out forcing the matchup he wants on Spikes eventually rendering Spikes to the bench.

My point is that Brady cannot "force" a matchup. He can manuever his 5 eligible players how he likes, but if Buffalo's D doesn't want Spikes matched up 1-on-1, then he won't be.

you just identified exactly what their offense has been predicated on for the last couple years with gronk (and formerly hernandez) and a back like vereen... its versatile and exploits guys like spikes. if hes in, they have the personnel to be dynamic passing and if you pull him you can bunch up and run on the nickel package.

whether gronk is healthy, and what they add in the draft could change that, but spikes is essentially the prototype of what you dont want when defending the pats.

Most of the teams that have thwarted NE in recent years have done so because they're willing to play man coverage on the backs and receivers. This means counting on guys like Gilmore, McKelvin, Robey, Alonso, and Aaron Williams to hold their own in coverage against NE's group. That can be a tall order, but if your players are up to the task, you can protect a guy like Spikes from having to cover and thus beat them up front.

It remains to be seen if Buffalo can accomplish that though, as they haven't in the past.

55's the mike sounds way better.

Jerry Hughes? The center of the protection scheme?

I love it, I really couldn't care less who it offends. He's a football player not a politician.

Exactly.

Not the biggest Spikes fan in the world but his twitter is pretty funny. But the guy talks/ tweets way too much.

Don't listen or follow him.

I am ecstatic we finally have someone on this team who has a set of brass knuckles for balls...attitudes like this spread like wildfire in a locker room. The Buffalo Bills have lacked this type of "swagger" for a very long time...I have no doubts it will show up on the field.

This is how I want my team to be built...with FOOTBALL PLAYERS who swing big d***s and talk big s**t...then back it up on the field! We FINALLY have a Bryan Cox type of player, and I couldn't be more happy about it...CHEERS to becoming relevant again!

(As for the "slavery" comments, I think people are looking at that in the wrong context...look at where he just left, that speaks volumes! Bad ol' Bill and Mr. Kraft seem to treat their players like "slaves," and not human beings and/or employees...is how I took that comment.)

Exactly.

Don't listen or follow him.

I am ecstatic we finally have someone on this team who has a set of brass knuckles for balls...attitudes like this spread like wildfire in a locker room. The Buffalo Bills have lacked this type of "swagger" for a very long time...I have no doubts it will show up on the field.

This is how I want my team to be built...with FOOTBALL PLAYERS who swing big d***s and talk big s**t...then back it up on the field! We FINALLY have a Bryan Cox type of player, and I couldn't be more happy about it...CHEERS to becoming relevant again!

(As for the "slavery" comments, I think people are looking at that in the wrong context...look at where he just left, that speaks volumes! Bad ol' Bill and Mr. Kraft seem to treat their players like "slaves," and not human beings and/or employees...is how I took that comment.)

Nice.

My point is that Brady cannot "force" a matchup. He can manuever his 5 eligible players how he likes, but if Buffalo's D doesn't want Spikes matched up 1-on-1, then he won't be.

True, the Bills can pick their poison ...... die because Brady picks apart Spikes in coverage or die when Brady exploits another part of the field that is weakened due to a guy having to go help Spikes out.

Now granted, not all QB's will be good enough to take advantage of this but ..... Brady is the master at matchup recognition. Heck, that's been the primary strength of a Brady led offense throughout all of his career.

True, the Bills can pick their poison ...... die because Brady picks apart Spikes in coverage or die when Brady exploits another part of the field that is weakened due to a guy having to go help Spikes out.

Now granted, not all QB's will be good enough to take advantage of this but ..... Brady is the master at matchup recognition. Heck, that's been the primary strength of a Brady led offense throughout all of his career.

You're correct that that's Brady's strength. I just think that the rest of the D will be good enough to compensate for Spikes' lack of coverage ability.

Brady didn't kill us last year for the most part.

I think the point being made, which I agree with, is that the maximum # of eligible receivers on any given play is 5 and the Bills will scheme accordingly when Spikes is on the field. Brady can "exploit Spikes" in coverage all he wants, but if the scheme never gives him that responsibility, it's a moot point.

If Spikes is on the field the Pats will go spread and scheme him into coverage to take advantage of his inept coverage skills

for the pats to go into the spread, they will need at least 3-4 wr. in that case, i can't possibly imagine not being in the nickel or dime, in which case spikes and whoever is the slb should be on the bench and the nb and seacry should be in.

not that teams won't scheme to try to get spikes in coverage but that specific example isn't the best one.

for the pats to go into the spread, they will need at least 3-4 wr. in that case, i can't possibly imagine not being in the nickel or dime, in which case spikes and whoever is the slb should be on the bench and the nb and seacry should be in.

not that teams won't scheme to try to get spikes in coverage but that specific example isn't the best one.

When receiver 3 and 4 are vereen and gronk it can get trickier.

Like it or not, spikes will 100% be asked to cover guys 1-1 multiple times a game. Hopefully he hangs well more often than not. It's a weakness we can try to minimize but we can't just make it disappear.

Edited by NoSaint