Source: Bills could have new owner as soon as October

OR....They told Ralph they would keep them here just to BS him into being the front runner. Not everyone is honest in Business, sorry to bust that bubble.

No, but the amount of due diligence that goes into the sale of a team is insane. If we are that close to a sale I feel VERY confident that it is a positive. I 100% believe that there are a few groups that have already been in talks with the Bills for quite some time. These groups are not forming now. They may not be too far down the path but the owner was in his mid 90's. this wasn't a surprise. In fact, I will go as far as to say the Bills know who the favorite is to be the next owner. We won't know this for a while but Littman/RB and company have some ideas.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that when the Hornets/Pelicans sold it was about a year and a half process. There were really 3 candidates from that point on (Benson, Chouest and the bathing suit company guy whose name escapes me).

This leads me to believe that we are not starting from scratch if a sale could be done in October. I feel pretty confident that any candidates that RW may have talked to intended on keeping the team in WNY. I don't think that he was opening negotiations with an LA group for example.

I wonder if the parameters for a sale of the team including a purchase price were put in place by Ralph and the prospective ownership group a while ago. It's interesting that Jason LaCanfora reported the name that most often came up with the other owners during the recent meetings was Terry Pegula. It maybe wishful thinking on my part.

This is absolutely good news!! The sooner the better for Buffalo's long term future. The ball has been rolling on this for quite some time IMO.

But could be potentially bad for the product on the field short-term. After plunking down $1B (give or take) the new owner is going to make sure they have their own choice for president / CEO , who will choose their GM, who will choose their head coach etc. So Russ, Doug, and Doug could all be out by the end of 2014. That may be good or bad depending on your perspective, but it would certainly start the rebuilding process again.

Of course the other way to look at it is all of the front office moves we have seen have been done in anticipation and/or with the blessing of a specific ownership group already.

Been telling you guys this. Mary Wilson does not want the team this was made clear years ago. Ralphs will said to sell it ASAP based on league rules, that has been known (and apparently ignored) as well. Now for the final part fans ignore, an owner CAN Move the bills and pretty much ignore the 400 mill fine. No Court will ever force a person or business to be a tenant. AND WNY must prove to a court they suffered 400 million in damages and they will never be able to. Now a new owner may keep the team here, but fans need to quit wishing and start dealing in facts.

Do we have a lawyer here? I'm not so sure about this.

OR....They told Ralph they would keep them here just to BS him into being the front runner. Not everyone is honest in Business, sorry to bust that bubble.

If the Wilson Estate wants to keep the team in Buffalo, a non relocation clause will be in the purchase agreement. Goliasno put one in the sale of the Sabres to Pegula, so they could not be moved.

But could be potentially bad for the product on the field short-term. After plunking down $1B (give or take) the new owner is going to make sure they have their own choice for president / CEO , who will choose their GM, who will choose their head coach etc. So Russ, Doug, and Doug could all be out by the end of 2014. That may be good or bad depending on your perspective, but it would certainly start the rebuilding process again.

Of course the other way to look at it is all of the front office moves we have seen have been done in anticipation and/or with the blessing of a specific ownership group already.

I am more concerned about the long term.

Do we have a lawyer here? I'm not so sure about this.

The Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz, who is a lawyer, plus Marc Ganis who a stadium lease guru, he helped the Rams and Raiders leave LA, both said no this is not possible.

I wonder if the parameters for a sale of the team including a purchase price were put in place by Ralph and the prospective ownership group a while ago. It's interesting that Jason LaCanfora reported the name that most often came up with the other owners during the recent meetings was Terry Pegula. It maybe wishful thinking on my part.

It is certainly possible. I have a feeling that it isn't Pegula but I have no idea why I have that feeling. My best guess is the group that Kelly assembled is the front runner. Just a feeling

Been telling you guys this. Mary Wilson does not want the team this was made clear years ago. Ralphs will said to sell it ASAP based on league rules, that has been known (and apparently ignored) as well. Now for the final part fans ignore, an owner CAN Move the bills and pretty much ignore the 400 mill fine. No Court will ever force a person or business to be a tenant. AND WNY must prove to a court they suffered 400 million in damages and they will never be able to. Now a new owner may keep the team here, but fans need to quit wishing and start dealing in facts.

Since you believe this it's almost a certainty to not happen.

I am not quite sure why you say this. Every thing in the last week has said the " specific performance " clause in the lease prevents the movement of the team forget the $400 million, that is only a last resort if in some crazy instance the courts let the Bills leave.

Then, there is this on PFT, from an actual lawyer

A window to move the Bills opens after the 2019 season when the buyout to leave Ralph Wilson Stadium drops to $28.4 million. A move would be impractical if not impossible before that point and it seems likely that the Bills will have different ownership by the time that date rolls around.

So please do tell how you are so much smarter than everyone else and how the Bills will be be able to move strictly cause a new owner came into place. I cannot wait to be enlightened

I know that when the Hornets/Pelicans sold it was about a year and a half process. There were really 3 candidates from that point on (Benson, Chouest and the bathing suit company guy whose name escapes me).

This leads me to believe that we are not starting from scratch if a sale could be done in October. I feel pretty confident that any candidates that RW may have talked to intended on keeping the team in WNY. I don't think that he was opening negotiations with an LA group for example.

I'll generally agree but was just lightly tapping the brakes

Any lawyer can tell you: there is no buyout.

The team has to win a court case that the lease is practically iron-clad in securing for the County.

As to this news: I cannot see how this is a bad thing; a sale this quickly would mean that the wheels have been in motion a long time.

I am more concerned about the long term.

+1. EJ Manuel could turn out to be a complete bust and the Bills could completely suck again this year and I wouldn't care one bit if we got an owner to commit to Buffalo long term. The Bills will be good again someday. It's the law of averages. All I care about at all is the Bills staying in Buffalo.

I'll generally agree but was just lightly tapping the brakes

Ha ha, fair enough. I am not dumping champagne on my head yet but I have no doubt that this is positive. Again, things could change and someone could submit a ridiculous offer. Nothing is done until it is done but if this is true it is almost certainly positive. Edited by Kirby Jackson