DeSean Jackson released

I think Jackson allows them to make a decision on Stevie next season, when his salary kind of explodes into a big cap hit.

im not sure that jumping from an 8.5m to 8.85m is really exploding. im guessing you were talking about the jump from 5.6 to 8.5 thats happening this year. really even next year its over 5m in dead money, so why not just keep him for the extra 3m. the final year when his hit approaches 9m and dead money is closer to 2m is probably where the real discussion happens, unless marrone really hates the guy.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about it, I don't think the Eagles released Jackson because of his ties to Los Angeles gangs. The Patriots haven't suffered terribly from the Hernandez implosion. They cut him immediately and that was that.

I think his release shows you how committed Jeffrey Lurie is to Chip Kelly and how impatient Lurie can be with diva-like personalities.

the real reason is that managing the salary cap involves tough choices. high priced players are always at risk of being replaced by less expensive players.

this whole story of his friendship with gang members is just the philly PR machine throwing desean under the bus to justify cutting a star player to their fans.

nice post. Fully agree.

I don't - with DeSean only being 28 yrs old and having drafted two WR's last year, I think it forces a lean towards a situation where best player available at picks one and two lean towards OL, LB, and possibly TE. So, IMO, the chances of drafting the topTE (Ebron) goes up with a signing of DeSean.

Still, having said that, I see the Bills drafting Mathews or Lewan at pick 1 or Mosely/Barr instead of Evans.

Unless they are really high on Evans (hedge hedge).

This all assumes that Mack and Watkins are gone of course (which I expect).

Stats don't lie. His are better than any other receiver we have on this team. A proven, deep threat which would help a struggling offense. BTW, Who is that Mr. Clutch wearing #13 in my avatar picture and why is he sitting down?

This was the first year in the last 3 that Jackson has outproduced Stevie.

I don't - with DeSean only being 28 yrs old and having drafted two WR's last year, I think it forces a lean towards a situation where best player available at picks one and two lean towards OL, LB, and possibly TE. So, IMO, the chances of drafting the topTE (Ebron) goes up with a signing of DeSean.

Still, having said that, I see the Bills drafting Mathews or Lewan at pick 1 or Mosely/Barr instead of Evans.

I guess I don't see why they would not draft Evans (if they like him) regardless of whether they sign Jackson. He is 20 years old and a different type of WR, one they really need. While he can still help this offense as a rookie based on pure matchup issues and talent, he is still raw and may not hit his full potential as an NFL WR for another 3 years. Who knows where Jackson will be then. But we would still have Evans. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't want them to draft Ebron or Evans. My first option is Watkins, if hes gone, then draft OL. So I would love for them to sign Jackson, draft and OL and then draft a TE in the second round.

I don't want them to draft Ebron or Evans. My first option is Watkins, if hes gone, then draft OL. So I would love for them to sign Jackson, draft and OL and then draft a TE in the second round.

Just curious why you don't want them to draft Evans (if Watkins is gone)?

This was the first year in the last 3 that Jackson has outproduced Stevie.

Im the of the opinion that Jackson is better than SJ. To each their own! :thumbsup:

imoossible. Stevie sucks and Jackson is amazing.

another great comment by the one and only Mr. Rags.

True. IT's hilarious how people put down our own players. Stevie had a much better 3 year stretch than Jackso nhas ever had in the NFL. This year Stevie was hurt and played with 3 1st year QBs. Jackson had Foles who was absolutely on fire.

Jackson's a good player but he is pretty one dimensional. And it's funny how that guy gets on Stevie for not being clutch when Jackson does incredibly dumb things (dropping the ball, getting taunting penalties after big plays).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CObHcUf_Hsk

Dude is a straight up moron.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Ha. I don't think it's like that though. I think they would push each other (competition) and I don't really see the redundancy in type as Stevie is 6'2" and DeSean is a smaller speedster. The redundancy is only the price tag and that would work itself out on performance. Keep the one who performs best in.this.offense, with this QB (or QBs, ahem).

Just curious why you don't want them to draft Evans (if Watkins is gone)?

I would like to see the Oline fixed. I believe that Watkins is the only NFL ready receiver in the Draft.

True. IT's hilarious how people put down our own players. Stevie had a much better 3 year stretch than Jackso nhas ever had in the NFL. This year Stevie was hurt and played with 3 1st year QBs. Jackson had Foles who was absolutely on fire.

Jackson's a good player but he is pretty one dimensional. And it's funny how that guy gets on Stevie for not being clutch when Jackson does incredibly dumb things (dropping the ball, getting taunting penalties after big plays).

If you truly believe that SJ13 is better than Jackson, more power to you! :thumbsup:

I guess I don't see why they would not draft Evans (if they like him) regardless of whether they sign Jackson. He is 20 years old and a different type of WR, one they really need. While he can still help this offense as a rookie based on pure matchup issues and talent, he is still raw and may not hit his full potential as an NFL WR for another 3 years. Who knows where Jackson will be then. But we would still have Evans.

They might but there is a limit to how many players one can keep at a given position and I am sure you agree the Bills need more help along the offensive line and at TE and at LB. Best Player Available is only REALLY applied when either the player truly stands out way above other possible selections AND when a team can afford not to draft a player that fills a big hole. My comment had to do with increased likelihoods and freedom to be more selective. If the Bills do not sign Jackson, I DO expect the Bills to draft Evans unless Matthews is still there. Again, just my opinion.....

I would like to see the Oline fixed. I believe that Watkins is the only NFL ready receiver in the Draft.

If you truly believe that SJ13 is better than Jackson, more power to you! :thumbsup:

so every though SJ has outproduced Jackson with worse QBs, Jackson is obviously better. Good point. And I don't live in a black and white world. Both players can be good. I think Jackson is a moron but he's talented. IMO, he's like Spiller and Johnson is like FJax. both have a place in the league, they are different receivers.

They might but there is a limit to how many players one can keep at a given position and I am sure you agree the Bills need more help along the offensive line and at TE and at LB. Best Player Available is only REALLY applied when either the player truly stands out way above other possible selections AND when a team can afford not to draft a player that fills a big hole. My comment had to do with increased likelihoods and freedom to be more selective. If the Bills do not sign Jackson, I DO expect the Bills to draft Evans unless Matthews is still there. Again, just my opinion.....

I think that is where I stand - I think Evans does truly stand out and I think he fills a big hole, with or without DeSean. I think OL, TE and LB are all needs but can be addressed in later rounds than the 1st. JMO ;-)

https://www.youtube....h?v=CObHcUf_Hsk

Dude is a straight up moron.

Why would you ever show a video of a route that SJ13 cannot do? After watching that play, I really want to sign Jackson.

Really? I have heard draft evaluators say there are 20 WRs in this draft who could fill a starting role - WR1, 2 or 3 this year with success. I have to think there is another NFL ready WR in the draft. Jordan Matthews and Odell Beckham stand out to me and I do think Evans creates problems immediately for a defense yet he will keep getting better as he adapts to the game.

Really? I have heard draft evaluators say there are 20 WRs in this draft who could fill a starting role - WR1, 2 or 3 this year with success. I have to think there is another NFL ready WR in the draft. Jordan Matthews and Odell Beckham stand out to me and I do think Evans creates problems immediately for a defense yet he will keep getting better as he adapts to the game.

your points are valid and of course other WRs will crack the NFL next year...but WHICH ONES. IMO I believe Watkins is the only sure thing. All the best.

Not that it really matters, but Stevie is not and has not been better than Desean. Using AV over at pro football reference. Last year Jackson was an 11 and Johnson a 5. The last 4 years, Jackson 35 in fewer games and Johnson 31. Career Jackson 58 in 86 games, 10.8 per-season: Johnson 31 in 58 games, 8.5/season.

Not that it really matters, but Stevie is not and has not been better than Desean. Using AV over at pro football reference. Last year Jackson was an 11 and Johnson a 5. The last 4 years, Jackson 35 in fewer games and Johnson 31. Career Jackson 58 in 86 games, 10.8 per-season: Johnson 31 in 58 games, 8.5/season.

:oops: