NFL getting "hoggy" according to Mark Cuban

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. For me the game has just gotten too wide open. I remember when I was young and started watching football it was big when a qb threw for 300 yards in a game. Now there are guys who average 300 yards per game in a season. Just saying this because it has really turned me off the NFL the past few years. The casual fan might like it, but I sure don't.

It's pretty much that now a defensive back looks at the receiver the wrong way and it's pi. Also it's like the receivers can do to the dbs wwhat the dbs could do to the wrs in the 1970s. I really wish the NFL would stop catering to the casual fan.

This is not exactly rocket surgery. All things are cyclical, and all things eventually fade away. Boxing was atop the world 40-50 years ago and then returned to power for a stint in the 90's. Baseball was extremely popular until some point in the last 15-20 years. All sports have seemingly had a climax at some point already, except soccer, hockey, and a few of the lesser popular sports.

Marketability drives the industry. It is a lot harder to market an NBA team to middle America then it is a team clad in armor that you seldom see or hear from outside of their uniform.

Sports like NASCAR are far more popular then soccer in this country because of marketability. It is a reason why UFC rose to popularity and why LAX is growing still.

The NFL is not going away. It may rise up and down, but Cuban isn't saying anything phenomenal.

Agreed. For me the game has just gotten too wide open. I remember when I was young and started watching football it was big when a qb threw for 300 yards in a game. Now there are guys who average 300 yards per game in a season. Just saying this because it has really turned me off the NFL the past few years. The casual fan might like it, but I sure don't.

It's pretty much that now a defensive back looks at the receiver the wrong way and it's pi. Also it's like the receivers can do to the dbs wwhat the dbs could do to the wrs in the 1970s. I really wish the NFL would stop catering to the casual fan.

I am not sure that is what Cuban is referring to, but I know what you mean. I think he is referring to them over-sarturating their fan base, and price gouging that seems to go on with nearly everything with the NFL brand name.

Then, more to your point perhaps, Mr. Locke, their is a trend among parents not wanting their kids to play football any more... IMO, that is going to affect the game more than anything. In another 10-15 years, the game is going to get even further away from the game that most of us grew up with, as there is a shorter supply of kids playing the game, and the rules on hitting and safety change the look of the game. It's coming...

He is spot on. Troy Aikman said it last year during a telecast I think that the NFL is way over saturating the market. Quit raising the salary cap, in fact drop it so lower market teams can compete better. Quit demanding so much from Networks and quit having games on 4 + days per week. Its not needed.

its a fine line between short terms gains and long term sustainability. the NFL (as any business) likes to push the boundaries with regards to squeezing every penny out of every revenue stream. i think its fair to say at some point it will be at the expense of future growth. i dont forecast a total collapse but more of a leveling out, or possible slight decrease as opposed to the current constant and huge growth.

i think IF they relocate the super bowl to london itll be one of those tipping point type of moments.

You're right. Fast-paced, wide-open, passing-oriented football has certainly killed interest in college football, hasn't it? Your observation has little or nothing to do with Cuban's point.

Edited by mannc

My biggest issue is that the NFL can't leave well enough alone. Granted, I am a traditionalist, but every time I see something new it just raises the question, "why?" Why did Nike have to come in and put those preposterous white collars on the jerseys? Why are they trying to eliminate the kickoff from the game? Why can't they just leave the extra point alone? Why do they have to add more playoff teams? Why the incessant Thursday night games? Why again is Nike trying to get teams to move to the futuristic uniforms? When you read any article about the new Bucs uniforms, literally 100% of the people commenting thought that their new jerseys looked ridiculous. Same with the whole moving the kickoff to the 40- everyone is against it. Who are they trying to appease with this stuff? Man I miss sports from when I grew up in the 80's and 90's.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

My biggest issue is that the NFL can't leave well enough alone. Granted, I am a traditionalist, but every time I see something new it just raises the question, "why?" Why did Nike have to come in and put those preposterous white collars on the jerseys? Why are they trying to eliminate the kickoff from the game? Why can't they just leave the extra point alone? Why do they have to add more playoff teams? Why the incessant Thursday night games? Why again is Nike trying to get teams to move to the futuristic uniforms? When you read any article about the new Bucs uniforms, literally 100% of the people commenting thought that their new jerseys looked ridiculous. Same with the whole moving the kickoff to the 40. What? Man I miss sports from when I grew up in the 80's and 90's.

Metz, you know the answers to all those questions. The rule changes are to give the perception that the league is really concerned about player safety (rather than impending and continuing law-suits), and the other stuff is all about selling merchendise.

I think Cuban is right. As an NBA owner, he is obviously concerned with the NFL's seeming obessession with having football every night of the week. The NBA has carved out a nice niche for itself in the pro-sports world, and the NFL is obviously threatening that. But, I will be honest. Unless the Bills are playing, I have no real interest in Thursday Night football. I am starting to lose interest in Monday Night Football as well, unless it is the Bills. What used to make the NFL so awesome, in part, was that it was so limited...one day a week, and one game on Monday night. Now, everything is so constant and so accessible, it is taking some lustre off the game.

Edited by Buftex

i think IF they relocate the super bowl to london itll be one of those tipping point type of moments.

Unfortunately I believe another one will be to rip the game from "real fans" by way of uprooting a few teams with deep roots like the Bills, chasing around false gold in Toronto, London, etc.

My biggest issue is that the NFL can't leave well enough alone. Granted, I am a traditionalist, but every time I see something new it just raises the question, "why?" Why did Nike have to come in and put those preposterous white collars on the jerseys? Why are they trying to eliminate the kickoff from the game? Why can't they just leave the extra point alone? Why do they have to add more playoff teams? Why the incessant Thursday night games? Why again is Nike trying to get teams to move to the futuristic uniforms? When you read any article about the new Bucs uniforms, literally 100% of the people commenting thought that their new jerseys looked ridiculous. Same with the whole moving the kickoff to the 40- everyone is against it. Who are they trying to appease with this stuff? Man I miss sports from when I grew up in the 80's and 90's.

Well...Kickoffs had the highest rate of injury than any other play-type, and the injury percentage was growing faster than any other play type...That's why they've done what they've done with Kickoffs specifically...

I'm not saying it was justified because the actual raw numbers of reduction are pretty small since the change...But just saying... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I get a kick out of the comment by Adam Silver the NBA Commish, "someday we want to rival the NFL". I have some advice for Silver, cut the schedule in half or more!!!!

The NFL and the television industry will keep adding days on the schedule as long as there is demand! When that diminishes because of either oversaturation, reduced product integrity, or changing market interests it will be faced with a crisis.

Don't see how it happens. Maybe we get another league again, and it waters down everything. Maybe they start allowing guys to leave college earlier, or not even go to college?

As long as there is gambling, fantasy football (which is the easiest fantasy to play, 1 game a week for 17 weeks) and beer being sold at stadiums, and tailgates, the NFL will be just fine.

He is underestimating the gambling part.

Well...Kickoffs had the highest rate of injury than any other play-type, and the injury percentage was growing faster than any other play type...That's why they've done what they've done with Kickoffs specifically...

I'm not saying it was justified because the actual raw numbers of reduction are pretty small since the change...But just saying... B-)

OK I understand that. But anyone who has paid any attention to this whole brain trauma thing knows that the real long term issues come from the constant "dull" hits on every play in the trenches, not the one time you get lit up by Chuck Cecil going across the middle. If you want to avoid injuries, then don't play football. And I'll tell you another thing- if they really move the kickoff to the 40, you could see kickers skying them and trying to make the opponent catch the ball on the 1 yard line to try and pin them inside the 20, which would create an even more dangerous situation.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I get a kick out of the comment by Adam Silver the NBA Commish, "someday we want to rival the NFL". I have some advice for Silver, cut the schedule in half or more!!!!

The NFL and the television industry will keep adding days on the schedule as long as there is demand! When that diminishes because of either oversaturation, reduced product integrity, or changing market interests it will be faced with a crisis.

I realize it isn't in the same stratosphere as the NFL, and I realize, most NFL fans (at least here) seem to loathe the NBA, but they have done a really great job sustaining that leauge, and it is thriving. David Stern may be a putz, but he really was a good commissioner for that league. They know their market, and they know what their market wants.

Edited by Buftex

OK I understand that. But anyone who has paid any attention to this whole brain trauma thing knows that the real long term issues come from the constant "dull" hits on every play in the trenches, not the one time you get lit up by Chuck Cecil going across the middle. And I'll tell you another thing- if they really move the kickoff to the 40, you could see kickers skying them and trying to make the opponent catch the ball on the 1 yard line to try and pin them inside the 20, which would create an even more dangerous situation.

Right...I'm just saying that's why they did it...And it's not going to go back the other way so...It is what it is I guess...

I know it sucks...Taking away one of the more exciting plays in a game was not going to be popular...Watching the Kickoff's now is about as boring/dumb as it gets... :thumbdown: