Bills Draft Talk

I figured I would start a thread where we can all post about anything related to the Bills draft.

I am still against taking a OL in round one and think that if we dont draft Evans I would like to have Ebron.

I think we need to surround EJ with as many weapons as possible and I really think Ebron would be the missing piece for the Bills offense.

CBF

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm against taking Lewan at #9, but I'd be okay with either of the top 2 OTs. Not in love with it -- would definitely prefer Evans or Watkins. I'd be okay with Ebron as well, but he doesn't really wow me.

Looking back on our offense last year, I really think the skill positions are better than we might think. My biggest frustration was seeing how little time our QBs had to throw and seeing very good RBs stopped at or behind the LOS. From my eye, not that I'm an expert anything, is that the OL is the problem.

I have absolutely no problem with going with an OT at 9. Listening to Marone talk about what a quality offensive line can do, makes a lot of sense. He believes that having a better line frees up your skill players so they don't have to stay in and block. Watching CJ, FJ and Chandler blocking so much last year really made sick. Those guys need to have their hands on the ball instead of taking on linemen, LBs etc. When you are doing everything you can to keep the OL from collapsing rather than trying to put your skill players in skill positions you are losing an advantage.

A 1st round WR also makes sense, but I keep going back to what I consider to be the offenses core issue. The OL.

A 1st round TE makes sense too. He would be big enough to take on some of those blocks, but again, if he can catch why?

Perhaps stockpiling on Defense would make sense. We could have quality DLmen who never get tired because we always have someone available in the rotation. But I saw a defense last year that spent too much time on the field because the offense couldn't get clicking. My belief is the best way to fix a problem is to find the source of the problem. To me, it looks like the OL.

Edited by Rockinon

You may be right CBF. I definitely don't want to see our OL not addressed or worse, get some scrubs in late rounds. I'd be OK with a WR at 9 only if we get some guys on that OL who can actually turn things around.

My perfect draft would be either WR/TE in round 1 and 2 and then OL in round 3 and maybe even 4

CBF

I think all the Ebron chatter from OBD is just a smoke screen. Whaley wants trade back offers, and the Giants, Eagles, Lions and Panthers are all paying attention.

<puts tin foil hat on>

You are sure of this?

As for me, Mack, Watkins Or Robinson. If neither are there, trade down.

Looking back on our offense last year, I really think the skill positions are better than we might think. My biggest frustration was seeing how little time our QBs had to throw and seeing very good RBs stopped at or behind the LOS. From my eye, not that I'm an expert anything, is that the OL is the problem.

I have absolutely no problem with going with an OT at 9. Listening to Marone talk about what a quality offensive line can do, makes a lot of sense. He believes that having a better line frees up your skill players so they don't have to stay in and block. Watching CJ, FJ and Chandler blocking so much last year really made sick. Those guys need to have their hands on the ball instead of taking on linemen, LBs etc. When you are doing everything you can to keep the OL from collapsing rather than trying to put your skill players in skill positions you are losing an advantage.

A 1st round WR also makes sense, but I keep going back to what I consider to be the offenses core issue. The OL.

A 1st round TE makes sense too. He would be big enough to take on some of those blocks, but again, if he can catch why?

Perhaps stockpiling on Defense would make sense. We could have quality DLmen who never get tired because we always have someone available in the rotation. But I saw a defense last year that spent too much time on the field because the offense couldn't get clicking. My belief is the best way to fix a problem is to find the source of the problem. To me, it looks like the OL.

The Bills QBs were sacked a lot last year and the offense struggled down in the red zone. An OT, WR, or TE all make sense to some degree at #9. On offense, I think Pears is the weakest starter and therefore the easiest to upgrade. I think back to when the Bills made it to the Super Bowls, the OL was strong and dominant. I'm leaning toward an OT knowing that it is controversial.

This entire Ebron discussion is ridiculous. The bills have four tight ends under contract and have just resigned Chandler. How about drafting someone that we really need such as a starting tackle, a primary wideout, a destructive linebacker, or a safety?

I have not been one to beat the Ebron drum in any way up to this point. But if you think Chandler, Smith, Gragg, or even Moeaki are on the same level, you're not paying attention.

Ebron is really quite the athlete. He's an entirely different type of TE than the Bills have ever had on their roster. Gragg might be the closest athletically, but Ebron has much more potential IMO.

And I'm not even high on the guy

My perfect draft would be either WR/TE in round 1 and 2 and then OL in round 3 and maybe even 4

CBF

I was going to do a big writeup, but this pretty much sums it up. I think it would be entirely possible to do Mike Evans in round 1 and Austin Severin-Jenkings/Troy Niklas in round 2 and then find a starter at RT in round 3 and competition at LG in round 4.

My only variation would be if a top 5 player (Mack, Robinson or Matthews) takes a sudden drop, which would require four teams taking QB in the first eight picks. I doubt that's likely.

I have not been one to beat the Ebron drum in any way up to this point. But if you think Chandler, Smith, Gragg, or even Moeaki are on the same level, you're not paying attention.

Ebron is really quite the athlete. He's an entirely different type of TE than the Bills have ever had on their roster. Gragg might be the closest athletically, but Ebron has much more potential IMO.

And I'm not even high on the guy

Exactly.

One of these things, is not like the others: Ebron, Chandler, Smith, Gragg, Moeaki

This entire Ebron discussion is ridiculous. The bills have four tight ends under contract and have just resigned Chandler. How about drafting someone that we really need such as a starting tackle, a primary wideout, a destructive linebacker, or a safety?

I have nothing against Ebron, but I don't think drafting a TE at 9 is the best way to go.

I think Tight End can wait for the 2nd round. LB, OL & WR are more important.

Drafting an OT @ 9 makes most sense to me. We were deplorable last year against top physical defenses. I'd like to see OT followed by WR and then OG. TE is fine with Moeaki and Chandler. If EJ has time he can make the throws. He's got the arm strength and accuracy is mostly about mechanics which I imagine he has been working on this off season. A S we are hot on could figure in on day two as well. IMO

In every Draft I'm always 100% open to a trade down if it gets you a 2nd round pick in return, as long as you don't have to go too far down of course...I think with the crazy amount of top talent in this Draft a trade down is even more enticing...

But I'm looking at this Draft a little different than others...There are players at the top of this Draft that look to be once in a decade types...And if you feel like you need one of them...well...do it...The depth of this Draft would lead me to be a little more willing to gamble on greatness with my first pick...I think players like Matthews, Lewan, and Martin are going to be good, solid NFL OT's...No doubt about it...But I also think, despite the current hype to the contrary, it does matter some that they will play RT for this team for at least another 2 years...So I'm far more inclined to take Evans at #9 and try to develop him into a true NFL #1 WR...If by some miracle Sammy Watkins falls to the Bills I doubt very much they pass on him...And if they truly believe he's the next Vernon Davis I have no problem with Ebron at #9, though I prefer Evans...I do really like Ebron's make-up...And I believe he has a true desire to be the best...I would imagine that IF the Bills go WR in the 1st round they'll look to go OT at #41 with a player like Morgan Moses or Kouandjio...

I expect the Bills to come out of this Draft with a WR, an OT, an OG, and a S minimum...I think they could also Draft another CB, RB, DE, or TE depending on how things fall...I would be surprised if they took a QB, DT, or LB (especially if they believe Ty Powell can back-up Spikes in the middle)... B-)