Buffalo native Greg Gabriel gives his insight on Williams & Graham

Very good listen. Any bashing of the Williams signing usually points to the pff ranking. I'd rather hear the opinion of someone who's actually scouted nfl players.

Gabriel also had good things to say about graham. He will be a very good special teams player, but could also push for time at corner. It'll be interesting to see who plays the nickel role between robey and graham or if graham could even push mckelvin.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Chris....u know these armchair GM's know way more then someone that has actually worked in the NFL

Actually I think that is exactly what he was doing. For some reason posters seem to think they know more then real NFL people.

It is their right as a fan I guess.....but I think it makes people look silly when they do that.

At least half the posters here had the same "prophesy" about Losman at the same time. Sometimes it's really not that hard....

Also said Corey Graham will at least be the 3rd CB, but knowing him, probably was told he'll compete for a starting job and has a good chance of getting it.

Very good listen. Any bashing of the Williams signing usually points to the pff ranking. I'd rather hear the opinion of someone who's actually scouted nfl players.

Gabriel also had good things to say about graham. He will be a very good special teams player, but could also push for time at corner. It'll be interesting to see who plays the nickel role between robey and graham or if graham could even push mckelvin.

It wouldn't surprise me that if Graham were to ball out then he could possibly be the successor to McKelvin if he doesn't play well this year. Isn't Leotis a FA after this year?

I provided a link, aren't you able to listen to it? Basically that my opinion has changed about Williams. Where as I was disappointed in this signing but now I have renewed hope. Gabriel said that Williams wasn't coming out of college and that he was hurt early in his first season with the Bears. In the 2nd year the Bears changed DCs and in turn there was a new OL Coach (Mike Tice) and their relationship never developed. Gabriel stated that Williams is a great kid, strong as an ox, extremely intelligent and now has an awful lot of experience up and down the OL and can play any of the positions except maybe for C. One other note, the Eagles wanted him after he played for Chicago but he chose the Rams because his wife has some non serious health issues and he wanted to stay as close to Chicago as possible. I think we are gonna be alright!

This is a good synopsis of the show. It can make you feel much better about OL Chris Williams.

GG also said he thinks only one QB will go in the top 10 picks.

Thanks, Tipster, for the link. Very interesting talk about Williams and Graham.

At least half the posters here had the same "prophesy" about Losman at the same time. Sometimes it's really not that hard....

It was one example out of many, are you actually saying that half the posters on this site understand football talent better than someone who spent 28 years scouting talent? If that were true all 32 franchise in a multi billion dollar industry are run by morons, and we are fools for being fans.

This FO/coaching staff has already sparked the careers of former 1st rounders McKelvin and Hughes. Like 3rd & 12 my gut feeling is positive on this one.

All you have to do is compare Bills free agency a few years ago: signing no one early, picking through the leftovers, almost never an impact player.

I look at it this way with Williams - we were all kind of jazzed at one point when Urbik became an odd man out a year after being a third round pick for Pittsburgh, and signed with the Bills. On talent, Williams should be a guy who is even more impressive to pick up.

It's not like there aren't concerns, but teams have done well with worse.

It was one example out of many, are you actually saying that half the posters on this site understand football talent better than someone who spent 28 years scouting talent? If that were true all 32 franchise in a multi billion dollar industry are run by morons, and we are fools for being fans.

You give some of these guys way too much credit. A lot of them are morons and come across their jobs through favouritism, nepotism, and any other -ism.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but if NFL teams could get just as good information from bloggers as they do from scouting, yet spend millions on scouting it would make them incredible stupid.

I'm going to keep positing this until the erroneous 5M guaranteed figure disappears.

Chris Williams is actual given 3.M guaranteed.

2014 - Chris Williams - 1.435 not Guaranteed

2015 - Chris Williams - 1.875 not Guaranteed

2016 - Chris Williams - 2.45 not Guaranteed

2017 - Chris Williams - 2.5 not Guaranteed

3.5M Signing Bonus - Guaranteed.

http://espn.go.com/b...lliams-contract

This is not a significant financial commitment.

If he is cut after the 2014 season he would cost less than 3M in Dead Money.

If he is cut after the 2015 season he would cost less than 2M in Dead Money.

I don't understand how this contract gets people's panties in a bunch.

He is a paid like a 6th man on the o-line.

I bet they let him compete at RT too.

Relax. It was an example you gave. I'm saying that many without a degree in scouting made the same call. How can you claim otherwise?

Anyway, the fact that GMs/HCs get turned over more frequently than the socks I am wearing is proof that they aren't all very good at what they do. I mean, that's self-evident, isn't it?

You give some of these guys way too much credit. A lot of them are morons and come across their jobs through favouritism, nepotism, and any other -ism.

As I stated earlier I know Greg Gabriel, nepotism and favoritism had nothing to do with his 28 years in the league. If what you are saying is true it would result in a bad product and make us all stupid for buying into it. Could you give some examples?

Relax. It was an example you gave. I'm saying that many without a degree in scouting made the same call. How can you claim otherwise?

Anyway, the fact that GMs/HCs get turned over more frequently than the socks I am wearing is proof that they aren't all very good at what they do. I mean, that's self-evident, isn't it?

I went surfing today and I'm having a glass of wine if I were anymore relaxed I'd be dead. The person in question spent 28 years scouting for NFL teams and you think the casual fan is just as good?

As I stated earlier I know Greg Gabriel, nepotism and favoritism had nothing to do with his 28 years in the league. If what you are saying is true it would result in a bad product and make us all stupid for buying into it. Could you give some examples?

I wasn't referring to Greg Gabriel.

Marv Levy (the GM version)

Danny Crossman

Waldorf and Statdler...I mean Overdorf and Littman

And that's just off the top of my head when it comes to the Bills.

As for it resulting in a bad product and all of us being stupid for buying into it, I don't think any fan on here has gone a week without having that very thought.

Edited by QB Bills

I've known Greg Gabriel for a long time he is a good friend of my sister and brother-in-law. He was at my home a few years ago, it was when Losman was named the Bills starter. He gave a very accurate assessment of Losman which was pretty depressing, almost prophetic though.

Greg is a guy that worked his way into an NFL job. Watched a lot of film, wrote reports. Spent two scouting part time for the Bills. Then sixteen years as a full time scout for the Giants, which led to him being named the Director of College Scouting for the Bears. A position he held for ten years. All in all a 28 year career in the NFL.

And you?

Take it easy Tex. See below.

i dont think he was bashing gabriel or putting himself above the guy as much as noting that a couple bad picks change fortunes fast (and williams was one of those)

That's exactly right - nice insight :thumbsup:

Come on Chris....u know these armchair GM's know way more then someone that has actually worked in the NFL

Actually I think that is exactly what he was doing. For some reason posters seem to think they know more then real NFL people.

It is their right as a fan I guess.....but I think it makes people look silly when they do that.

You are entirely wrong, that's not where I was coming from at all. :thumbdown: See above. Chill.

Agreed. Using Losman as an example of Gabriel's acumen is extremely weak.

Gabriel was fired by the Bears for a reason and it wasn't because he was a scouting genius.(check their draft's the few years before he was canned)

He was able to latch on to a job with the NFP when no other teams came calling.

That he stands by a player he wanted to draft is not a shock.

The reality is Williams was a bust with the Bears, and was shuffled along the line(as Mike Williams was here) because they could not find a spot where he could play adequately.

Ultimately they decided that Gabriel's hand picked player wasn't even good enough to be on the team.

Scouting like that puts you on the unemployment line, and it did with Gabriel.

Agreed. Using Losman as an example of Gabriel's acumen is extremely weak.

Gabriel was fired by the Bears for a reason and it wasn't because he was a scouting genius.(check their draft's the few years before he was canned)

He was able to latch on to a job with the NFP when no other teams came calling.

That he stands by a player he wanted to draft is not a shock.

The reality is Williams was a bust with the Bears, and was shuffled along the line(as Mike Williams was here) because they could not find a spot where he could play adequately.

Ultimately they decided that Gabriel's hand picked player wasn't even good enough to be on the team.

Scouting like that puts you on the unemployment line, and it did with Gabriel.

And Heff's point is still valid in that Gabriel doesnt get to the position he was at without paying his dues and being good at what he does....period. That is not disputable......there are only so many of those jobs and Gabriel had one of them.

Now regarding Williams....if he sucked so bad he wouldnt have started (and continued to start) for two separate teams. When you suck....you get benched. And WIlliams didnt.