Buffalo native Greg Gabriel gives his insight on Williams & Graham

I thought that this would be important for all Bills' fans to hear. Greg Gabriel is a Buffalo native who works for the National Football Post but he was with the Chicago Bears when they drafted Corey Graham and Chris Williams in consecutive years. He was on the John Murphy show and if you don't want to listen to the whole broadcast (it's 18+ minutes long) then at least listen at the 6:20 mark when he discusses Chris Williams. I think that you'll get a much better insight on our newly signed LG. Admittedly I have never heard of Gabriel before this broadcast but I'm glad that I listened though. Enjoy.

Bills Mobile: Greg Gabriel on Ties to Bills Recent Signings | http://bit.ly/1d3K6Jp

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/audio/Greg-Gabriel-on-Ties-to-Bills-Recent-Signings/4d8ada91-a1b7-49e0-a786-78781eb1e038

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone give us a wrap-up for those unable to listen until this evening? We just gotta know! :w00t:

In short, though, there really is not much harm in signing Williams because he could at least provide depth and experience to many positions should something - which always happens - go wrong - which it will.

Anyone give us a wrap-up for those unable to listen until this evening?

He came out of college with a back injury that flared up. He played very, very well for Ron Turner, but when Mike Tice came in their styles didn't mesh. He lost his job, went to St Louis and played well. Versatile, can play any position except center.

could you share the insights that you gained? or atleast cliffs of what he said?

I provided a link, aren't you able to listen to it? Basically that my opinion has changed about Williams. Where as I was disappointed in this signing but now I have renewed hope. Gabriel said that Williams wasn't coming out of college and that he was hurt early in his first season with the Bears. In the 2nd year the Bears changed DCs and in turn there was a new OL Coach (Mike Tice) and their relationship never developed. Gabriel stated that Williams is a great kid, strong as an ox, extremely intelligent and now has an awful lot of experience up and down the OL and can play any of the positions except maybe for C. One other note, the Eagles wanted him after he played for Chicago but he chose the Rams because his wife has some non serious health issues and he wanted to stay as close to Chicago as possible. I think we are gonna be alright!

Gabriel was once thought of as one of the "hot" personnel up and comers, but I guess picks like Williams will land you with a job at the National Football Post.

I've known Greg Gabriel for a long time he is a good friend of my sister and brother-in-law. He was at my home a few years ago, it was when Losman was named the Bills starter. He gave a very accurate assessment of Losman which was pretty depressing, almost prophetic though.

Greg is a guy that worked his way into an NFL job. Watched a lot of film, wrote reports. Spent two scouting part time for the Bills. Then sixteen years as a full time scout for the Giants, which led to him being named the Director of College Scouting for the Bears. A position he held for ten years. All in all a 28 year career in the NFL.

And you?

I provided a link, aren't you able to listen to it?

at the moment i actually wasnt able to listen, just like the second poster also wasnt able - FYI many read the board either on mobile devices or at work (or just dont want to listen to an interview) so when posting audio, its nice to give a quick rundown of the high points.

I've known Greg Gabriel for a long time he is a good friend of my sister and brother-in-law. He was at my home a few years ago, it was when Losman was named the Bills starter. He gave a very accurate assessment of Losman which was pretty depressing, almost prophetic though.

Greg is a guy that worked his way into an NFL job. Watched a lot of film, wrote reports. Spent two scouting part time for the Bills. Then sixteen years as a full time scout for the Giants, which led to him being named the Director of College Scouting for the Bears. A position he held for ten years. All in all a 28 year career in the NFL.

And you?

i dont think he was bashing gabriel or putting himself above the guy as much as noting that a couple bad picks change fortunes fast (and williams was one of those)

Back problem flared up in camp, had minor surgery, back hasn't been a problem since. Chris didn't hit it off with Tice, undeservedly, in Chicago, but thrived at STL. Sez LG a great spot for him, and could do RT without a problem. Says Williams will shore up the left side of our line. Also said he was VP of National Honor Society.

Gabriel told Philly's GM Rosenbaum to watch CWilliams in that year's Bears vs Philly game. Handled Bryant, just mauled him. Philly tried to get him in Philly, but Williams opted for closer to home.

And you?

Come on Chris....u know these armchair GM's know way more then someone that has actually worked in the NFL

at the moment i actually wasnt able to listen, just like the second poster also wasnt able - FYI many read the board either on mobile devices or at work (or just dont want to listen to an interview) so when posting audio, its nice to give a quick rundown of the high points.

i dont think he was bashing gabriel or putting himself above the guy as much as noting that a couple bad picks change fortunes fast (and williams was one of those)

Actually I think that is exactly what he was doing. For some reason posters seem to think they know more then real NFL people.

It is their right as a fan I guess.....but I think it makes people look silly when they do that.

Sorry, just didn't understand why. I did this all by an IPhone, didn't want to message more because of that, it's a real pain in the ass. I hope you get to hear it, it's a good listen.

And you?

Fwiw I found your friend very insightful and easy to listen to. I would love to hear more of what he has to say about the NFL, especially about Buffalo.

Sorry, just didn't understand why. I did this all by an IPhone, didn't want to message more because of that, it's a real pain in the ass. I hope you get to hear it, it's a good listen.

No worries - just figured I'd let you know. Been there and posted similar to yours myself before when on my phone....

Tipster19 ..

I have had a good feeling about Williams. Bills keyed on him . So i trust they know something .

Thanks for giving solidity to my gut instinct .

I am pleased with all the FA work so far actually .

You're quite welcomed, it was my pleasure. I think that there may be quite a few of us in the same boat, a little nervous, being unsure about the competency of this new regime, especially with that whole Byrd mess. Plenty of us are looking, hoping that the right moves are being made. At first look I was pretty disappointed in our new recruits, well,only Williams really, but after hearing Gabriel I am feeling a whole bunch better!

Go Bills!

You're quite welcomed, it was my pleasure. I think that there may be quite a few of us in the same boat, a little nervous, being unsure about the competency of this new regime, especially with that whole Byrd mess. Plenty of us are looking, hoping that the right moves are being made. At first look I was pretty disappointed in our new recruits, well,only Williams really, but after hearing Gabriel I am feeling a whole bunch better!

Go Bills!

Trepidations here abouts also.

Bills FO was moving with confidence last year this time with the respective targets .

I did notice that repeating this year. And after doing some digging about I'm pretty well pleased about the method . Whaley is a different animal than what we have had .

For the better we may hope

Go Bills !