Change in running philosophy that makes CJ expendable?

I'm sorry, but an RB who gets 10 carries a game isn't a "core" player. Especially when he still kinda stinks at pass blocking and getting short yardage.

"If that is the case, then why did we spend a first round pick on the guy?" Previous front office staff clearly though he was a player to build around. That is my point. We cant waste first round picks on guys then have the next regime toss them away. The front office from player personal to head coach and position coach have to be on the same page and be stable like Baltimore, NE, Pitts and other franchises with a long history of winning .

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PTR I think Marrone wants a bigger, full time back. I can very easily see him traded on Draft day. That said if not then they have to make him 'Percy Harvin' and use him in that type role. I would have him running with WR's this offseason if I planned on keeping him AND returning kicks

How many playoff seasons with CJ and Stevie? I can't see either one being the #1 guy on any team (except Stevie in Carolina). We dont' have a drug problem there bud, YOU have a KOOLAID problem and need to wake up yourself

Whoa!! If you've ever read any of my posts, the last thing you could ever accuse me of would be that I'm a "Koolaid" drinker. I'm as cynical of this team as the day is long. I think Ralph's a greedy old S.O.B.; Brandon's a snake oil salesman, and Marrone is dumber than a box of rocks. And I'm a afraid that Manuel has bust written all over him. I just can't wrap my mind around the hate for Stevie and Spiller- guess I never will.

"If that is the case, then why did we spend a first round pick on the guy?" Previous front office staff clearly though he was a player to build around. That is my point. We cant waste first round picks on guys then have the next regime toss them away. The front office from player personal to head coach and position coach have to be on the same page and be stable like Baltimore, NE, Pitts and other franchises with a long history of winning .

Problem is the head coaches for those staffs do not change. So its hard to compare what happens here to what happens in those orgs. I do agree with you that the wanton disregard of first round pick the bill has shown is pretty disturbing.

Well toss them away would be cutting. This new group shouldn't be railroaded in keeping a guy they don't want, because he was on the roster last season. Get someone you can use for him.

CJ Spiller is a great change of pace back. I'd keep him. Allow him to return punts & kickoffs, and line him up as a WR. He's a great weapon to have. His TD this past season at Cleveland was a thing of beauty considering he was a couple weeks removed from a high ankle sprain.

It was Sal on WGR who said it best. And it is the unfortunate reality of today's NFL. We should not want to get rid of a starting RB, especially as good as CJ. But, like he said, he would trade any running back in the league for a first round pick. And he'd listen to any offer for a trade on a RB.

There is no RB in this league that is not replaceable or not expendable to their team. That is just my opinion, though.

I think the days of teams paying top dollar for a running back are done. Moreno, MJD, and Tate remain unsigned. McFadden got a 1 yr deal. Guys are expendable. I don't think teams will have to break the bank for running backs. It's easier just to draft a replacement in the mid-rds.

I think the days of teams paying top dollar for a running back are done. Moreno, MJD, and Tate remain unsigned. McFadden got a 1 yr deal. Guys are expendable. I don't think teams will have to break the bank for running backs. It's easier just to draft a replacement in the mid-rds.

Tate just signed with the Browns. 2 yr deal.

Two things: the Dixon signing and the inability of the Bills to get CJ into space last year.

It seems like Hackett can't or won't use CJ the way Chan did. Maybe it was an O-line issue that we are working on fixing?

Or maybe the Bills are going to a straight-ahead power running game with Dixon, Freddy and maybe a rookie like Brandon Oliver?

If so could we flip CJ for picks? Just throwing it out there.

PTR

Wait, now we are going to trade a "future Hall of Famer" in his prime? :lol:

Everyone forgets spiller went for 1600 yards the season before. I am not in favor of letting him go anywhere.

He is a weapon when not hobbled by a high ankle sprain. I understand the power back sentiment, but will still love to have cj around as long as he wishes to stay.

Agree. I do not understand the fascination people seem to have for wanting to get rid of our best players. ( yet cry all day about Byrd choosing to leave). We should be collecting playmakers not trading them.

Agree. I do not understand the fascination people seem to have for wanting to get rid of our best players. ( yet cry all day about Byrd choosing to leave). We should be collecting playmakers not trading them.

Agree with you and RLB, if your "system" cannot properly utilize one of the most explosive players in the league it is probably an issue with your system.

Seems like one of the first things they mentioned when signing Williams for guard was that he can help with the screen game, one of Spiller's strengths. With the addition of the Sr. Off Asst, I would doubt they'd move away from making one of their best weapons more effective.

Two things: the Dixon signing and the inability of the Bills to get CJ into space last year.

It seems like Hackett can't or won't use CJ the way Chan did. Maybe it was an O-line issue that we are working on fixing?

Or maybe the Bills are going to a straight-ahead power running game with Dixon, Freddy and maybe a rookie like Brandon Oliver?

If so could we flip CJ for picks? Just throwing it out there.

PTR

Good, but surprising post Promo. It's as if you are implying that selecting Spiller at #9 was a display of imperfection by the otherwise infallible Bills brass.

The truth is that he was an awful selection. Would you, or anyone else like us to draft a small, situational running back at 9 in May? I for one think that Spiller has very little trade value. That said, if a team would offer us a 2nd round pick I would jump all over it. I would probably grab a 3rd.

The Bills have bigger needs than a scat back, who is possibly hobbled to boot. Mario is great. KW is very good but neither is young. There is a drastic need at LG. So yes, if a team out there is willing to offer up a nice pick for Spiller it would be just wonderful.

Edited by Bill from NYC

It would be cool if any of this was true. 18 seconds into this video we have 5 broken tackes. Hmmmmm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IldpoY5kkk

Almost forgot about these sick huge runs vs the jets.

Look at how much room he has to assess those runs. I miss Chan's play calling for CJ. I feel like he was run up the gut all year last year. :/

spiller is a stud.

he played on two bum wheels last season. when healthy he is elite.

the line needs to open a hole or the coaches need to call a few more screen plays to get him into open space.

This.

The Bills ran mid guard, or up the middle 71% of the time last season, and that is simply not Spiller's forte to pound it up the middle.

As Promo put it Gailey did manage to get Spiller more running room by utilizing a 4-5 WR spread vs Hackett's 3 WR-TE spread. The difference being is with 4-5 WR's on the field it not only causes the opposing defense to spread out more, it also usually makes the defense substitute DB's over Lbers. If the defense keeps LBers on the field, then the WR's have a mismatch. If the defense subs in more DB's, then its a mismatch for the RB's.

Hackett was so predictable last year with his run play calling almost always up the middle, and almost always keeping TE's in to help with the blocking for protection.

Hopefully this year Hackett will change up his offense to get Spiller more into space, or actually to run off tackle more to allow him to break some long runs like he used to do.

You people are out of your minds if you think Spiller is expendable. He is by far and away the most talented player they have offense. Yes, injuries hampered is production last season BUT he was terribly misused. He is a devastating player in space yet the screen pass was almost nonexistent last season- Spiller is almost unstoppable in space. Coaches really need to implement that into offense.

FJax is hearing the end. He can't go on forever. Dixon is nothing more then a short yardage / goal line back.

Getting Manuel some more weapons & actually having the threat of a passing attack will really open things up for CJ.

Like I stated in the other thread, CJ doesn't seem to fit what Marrone wants to do. If we could get a 2nd for him it'd be a win, maybe draft someone like Carlos Hyde. I feel like this offense is made for a RB that punishes defenses.

Teams these days are being built to stop the pass, put a team out there that punishes them on the ground and you'll have an advantage. Seattle is a perfect example of this. Whaley and co. Are moving ahead of the curve

I like your position. CJ excelled in a spread offense Gailey used. If Marrone/Whaley/Hackett plan not do so, then get some value for CJ. I prefer the punishing style of Marshawn Lynch anyway. Much more fun to watch a bruiser out there. I do like having a guy like Summers leading out there and every once in awhile throwing or handing him the ball.

Living in Tampa I used to love watching Alstot. He would have the ball running downfield and run right into the defender vs. avoid.

I like what Whaley is doing. Not sure on that guard, but the other picks look good.

Look at how much room he has to assess those runs. I miss Chan's play calling for CJ. I feel like he was run up the gut all year last year. :/

Thanks for sharing this video. The problem as I stated above is if they won't play the spread, he's not being used properly. There is no question he is a dynamic player. The other thing I noticed in the highlight reel is how many times he ran off left tackle. God, Cordy Glenn is so damn good. We better not screw that one up and resign him in the beginning of his third year so we don't have another Jason peters, Jarius Byrd, etc.