Change in running philosophy that makes CJ expendable?

Not the same style of runners. And if CJ isn't in the plans, they should get value now, not wait till the last minute.

It doesn't really matter to me if they are the same style of runner or not. They are both guys who excel in open space -- it doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't make it a part of your strategy when you have that kind of player. But that's a function of Spiller's troubles, EJ's, and the line's.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't really matter to me if they are the same style of runner or not. They are both guys who excel in open space -- it doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't make it a part of your strategy when you have that kind of player. But that's a function of Spiller's troubles, EJ's, and the line's.

I've never understood why some coaches insist on force feeding their system. Trying to get "square" players into "round" holes just does not work. The hallmark of a great coach is someone who evaluates the talent he has and adapts his scheme around their strengths. It really boggles my mind sometimes.

Spiller's issues last season were two fold IMO:

1. Health - He obviously was nowhere near 100% last season. The attempted comeback also hurt him; he should've just sat until his knee was good

2. Offense ineptitude - With the carousel at QB and the devastating loss of their pro-bowl LG, they became one dimensional. Teams knew Jeff Tuel or Thad Lewis wasn't going to beat them throwing the ball so defenses focused on stopping the run.

Both of those are very fixable problems. If we can get a fully healthy Manuel (cross your fingers) & pick up a weapon or two at the top of draft for him, balance will be restored to the offense. We don't need Peyton Manning out there to be more effective offensively. Hopefully Spiller is taking it easy this offseason and rehabbing his knee. His effectiveness stems from his speed and agility; he needs to be able to cut on a dime.

I gotta chime in again.

The scheme or philosophy had nothing to do with CJ's "struggles" last year. I put that in quotes bc despite being banged up he still had a 4.6 ypc which was tied for 9th among RBs. Then, consider that that 4.6 ypc is good for a tie for 4th among RBs with over 200 carries. Also, don't forget that he was 15th overall in rushing yards (FJ was 16th)...

All on a team with inexperienced QBs and a makeshift O line.

But those "excuses" aside, had he been fully healthy, he would've been even better. It's not like Fred was better and CJ just stunk. Freddie had some more receiving yards, but like I mentioned upthread- the book is out on Spiller. Defenses aren't going to give up all those screens to him when they are keying on on him and no one else.

Riddle me this: If you're facing the Bills- don't you have a safety or LB "spying" CJ just in case they call a screen or a swing pass? I'd rather give Chandler or SJ room in the middle because even if EJ makes the right read, both of those guys are getting caught from behind.

I'm not trying to put this all on EJ, but until he proves that he can hurt defenses in a variety of ways, defenses are going to key on the run game, and CJ in particular.

Is CJ expendable? Sure, but only in the sense most NFL RBs are to varying degrees. Certainly not because of his particular "fit" to the scheme or philosophy.

Is CJ worth a huge extension? Probably not, but not because he isn't talented or doesn't fit on the Bills. It's because good teams can rely on their QB and can get by with an adequate RB or two.

If the Bills can sign him to a reasonable extension, great. He's one of my favorite Bills and I'd hate to see him go. I think most of us are on the same page here, but I can't get with the idea that the offense was bad because CJ isn't that good, or that he's a poor fit. CJ didn't seem that good because the offense as a whole wasn't that good.

Not the same style of runners. And if CJ isn't in the plans, they should get value now, not wait till the last minute.

If CJ is not in the plans then they should fire Marrone. CJ is more valuable to the Bills than Marrone is.

I gotta chime in again.

The scheme or philosophy had nothing to do with CJ's "struggles" last year. I put that in quotes bc despite being banged up he still had a 4.6 ypc which was tied for 9th among RBs. Then, consider that that 4.6 ypc is good for a tie for 4th among RBs with over 200 carries. Also, don't forget that he was 15th overall in rushing yards (FJ was 16th)...

But those "excuses" aside, had he been fully healthy, he would've been even better. It's not like Fred was better and CJ just stunk. Freddie had some more receiving yards, but like I mentioned upthread- the book is out on Spiller. Defenses aren't going to give up all those screens to him when they are keying on on him and no one else.

Riddle me this: If you're facing the Bills- don't you have a safety or LB "spying" CJ just in case they call a screen or a swing pass? I'd rather give Chandler or SJ room in the middle because even if EJ makes the right read, both of those guys are getting caught from behind.

I'm not trying to put this all on EJ, but until he proves that he can hurt defenses in a variety of ways, defenses are going to key on the run game, and CJ in particular.

Is CJ expendable? Sure, but only in the sense most NFL RBs are to varying degrees. Certainly not because of his particular "fit" to the scheme or philosophy.

Is CJ worth a huge extension? Probably not, but not because he isn't talented or doesn't fit on the Bills. It's because good teams can rely on their QB and can get by with an adequate RB or two.

If the Bills can sign him to a reasonable extension, great. He's one of my favorite Bills and I'd hate to see him go. I think most of us are on the same page here, but I can't get with the idea that the offense was bad because CJ isn't that good, or that he's a poor fit. CJ didn't seem that good because the offense as a whole wasn't that good.

Great post. CJ has to be accounted for on every play. We don't have too many of those guys on offense.

GO BILLS!!!

The biggest problem with CJ last year and the difficulty getting him productive was he was injured. He could come in and rip off one decent run and have to hobble off the field and wait a while before he could come back in. I think he even missed 2 games in the middle of the season and was never right.

Everything Spiller can do, Freddy can do better. Except take the ball 90 yards to house when we're down 34 points twice a season.

He's unnecessary.

Care to wager on their stats this year? You are so vocal about Fjax over CJ so put your money where your mouth is. I got $1000 on CJ, what you got? I will escrow the bet before the season with any number of long time posters.

Put up or shut up.

If CJ is not in the plans then they should fire Marrone. CJ is more valuable to the Bills than Marrone is.

That'll happen.

I think it's because to you have to build a whole offense around CJ to get maximum production. Chan wanted CJ because Chan was going to build the Bills offense around someone with his skills. Well Chan ain't here no more.

And to be clear I'm not advocating getting rid of CJ. All I'm saying is don't waste him. Either use him or get some value from him.

PTR

It would be cool if any of this was true. 18 seconds into this video we have 5 broken tackes. Hmmmmm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IldpoY5kkk

Almost forgot about these sick huge runs vs the jets.

so you find one highlight and pretend you are right?? how bout the 50 runs last year for 1 yard by CJ??? anyone with two eyes knows CJ cant take a tackler with him past half a yard...and which other things did I say aren't true?? he sucks at pass protection, has several fumbles etc...he doesn't get injured easily? he doesn't run out of bounds when we need to kill clock??? maybe look at stats rather than a highlight film...or do you like to play make believe? CJ is just plain dumb...sorry but its true.

Edited by enlightener

I gotta chime in again.

While I agree with most of what you say in this post. However, I don't agree with that first sentence because that was a huge area where rookie OC Nate Hackett held CJ back!

Like I said in an earlier post, CJ is not the type of back you run up mid guard 71% of the time (which is exactly what the Bills did),and I can recall the game announcers giving him grief because CJ wanted to bounce it outside for more then 2 yards up the middle.

Then you need to consider how bad that O line really was PFF ranked them 25th in run blocking, and so many times I would see opposing teams stacking the box and keying on Spiller. So much so that he was often tackled behind the line of scrimmage. The #2 team in the NFL in rushing yards, and mostly due to the talent in the RB's.

Opposing teams were so "amped up" in stopping the kid that averaged 6.0 YPC last in 2012, that they were indeed keying on him because he was the focal point of their entire defensive plan. They sure as heck weren't worried about EJ, or Freddy, or SJ, or Chandler. They were worried about the kid who can break one tackle and burn them for a big run.

Then CJ and his struggles with a high ankle sprain, a very painful injury that can cause some players to miss 4-6 weeks http://leadingedgephysio.com/the-dreaded-high-ankle-sprain/ Spiller played in 15 games,so he only missed one game.

The very last thing I want to see is a team like New England somehow obtaining Spiller and utilizing him properly and then ripping the bills up for 150 yards on 20 touches every time they play. If you think Marshawn Lynch to Seattle was stupid, then giving away the Bills best offensive weapon is galactic-ly stupid! JMO

Spiller has no vision, can't break a tackle, and has way too many negative plays. He has killer speed but two coaching staffs have not been able to use him effectively in the passing game. He can not pass block anyone - a DB, a LB, or even chip a DE. No doubt when he makes it to the second level he can beat the linebackers and safeties on speed alone. He has truly elite speed but simply is not a good RB. I don't think it can be taught either. I think it is just running instincts and he simply doesn't have them. He doesn't read blocks well, he doesn't know when to follow a blocker instead of running past him, and I think he simply has no elusiveness.

He is going to want a huge money deal and RB's aren't worth it. If he plays well this year then he is the ideal player to franchise for a year or two. Don't commit big long term dollars to an aging RB.

That'll happen. I think Marrone will get his three years, and if anyone gets the ax this year it will be the offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett.

I think it's because to you have to build a whole offense around CJ to get maximum production. Chan wanted CJ because Chan was going to build the Bills offense around someone with his skills. Well Chan ain't here no more.

And to be clear I'm not advocating getting rid of CJ. All I'm saying is don't waste him. Either use him or get some value from him.

PTR

You have to realize exactly how Gailey built his offense, and it was built more so around a broken QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick then it was for Spiller. Kinda why the Bills had 511 attempts passing vs 442 attempts rushing in 2012.

One of the big reasons why Gailey was hired in the first place was, because he gloated to the Biills FO that he could build a winning team without superstars. Meaning he could do it with ordinary players rather then 15+ mill per QB's.

Unlike Hackett, Gailey built his offense around Fitz because the guy was a journeyman QB, who was also excellent at reading defenses, setting then O line protections. But the main reason why Gailey loved Fitz (and never drafted a young QB to develop, and he went down in the ship with Fitz). Was because Fitz had an ability to get the ball out to the open receiver in 2 around seconds.

This ability Fitz had to find Stevie Johnson in 2 seconds meant that the team didn't need a top O line to protect the QB for 3-5 seconds every play like Brady, Brees, Manning have. So Gailey could make things work with a sup par line. Then his 4-5 receiver spread offensive sets were just a smoke screen because the team only had one viable WR in SJ, and one viable receiving TE in Chandler. Kinda why Marrone & Co jettisoned all the other receivers aside from Stevie.

Like Gailey, Hackett ran quite a lot out of the shotgun-spread formation hoping to duplicate Gailey's success but didn't seem to comprehend the differences between the offenses, and that his style of offense would actually hinder Spiller more then helping him make those big plays he was noted for making.

I think this season will be very telling on if this coaching staff, and "IF" they can get the most out of their players by utilizing what they are best at, rather then forcing them into a style of play that simply doesn't suit their talents.

So far I'm very leery of the Bills having a successful offense this up coming season mostly because they just signed the worst player from a bad St Louis O line to take over at LG. The Bills had a better ranked O line then the Rams did last year. This signing reminds me of the Bills signing Doug Legursky as an afterthought to back up the center position. Lord help us should Wood go out with an injury, as that running 71% up the middle will go right down the toilet with Legurski under center.

Keep Spiller, build a better O line that can power block and open holes off tackle. Bills RB carries 456, carries off left end 6%- carries left tackle 11%- carries mid guard 71%- carries right tackle 10%- carries right end 3%.

To put how lopsided that Buffalo offense was, the Eagles were the #1 rushing offense in the NFL last year. Eagles RB carries 402, carries off left end 21%- carries off left tackle 10%- carries off mid guard 40%- carries off right tackle 9%- Carries off right 19%. Now, that is a very well balanced effective offense run game.

You have to realize exactly how Gailey built his offense, and it was built more so around a broken QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick then it was for Spiller. Kinda why the Bills had 511 attempts passing vs 442 attempts rushing in 2012.

One of the big reasons why Gailey was hired in the first place was, because he gloated to the Biills FO that he could build a winning team without superstars. Meaning he could do it with ordinary players rather then 15+ mill per QB's.

Unlike Hackett, Gailey built his offense around Fitz because the guy was a journeyman QB, who was also excellent at reading defenses, setting then O line protections. But the main reason why Gailey loved Fitz (and never drafted a young QB to develop, and he went down in the ship with Fitz). Was because Fitz had an ability to get the ball out to the open receiver in 2 around seconds.

This ability Fitz had to find Stevie Johnson in 2 seconds meant that the team didn't need a top O line to protect the QB for 3-5 seconds every play like Brady, Brees, Manning have. So Gailey could make things work with a sup par line. Then his 4-5 receiver spread offensive sets were just a smoke screen because the team only had one viable WR in SJ, and one viable receiving TE in Chandler. Kinda why Marrone & Co jettisoned all the other receivers aside from Stevie.

Like Gailey, Hackett ran quite a lot out of the shotgun-spread formation hoping to duplicate Gailey's success but didn't seem to comprehend the differences between the offenses, and that his style of offense would actually hinder Spiller more then helping him make those big plays he was noted for making.

I think this season will be very telling on if this coaching staff, and "IF" they can get the most out of their players by utilizing what they are best at, rather then forcing them into a style of play that simply doesn't suit their talents.

So far I'm very leery of the Bills having a successful offense this up coming season mostly because they just signed the worst player from a bad St Louis O line to take over at LG. The Bills had a better ranked O line then the Rams did last year. This signing reminds me of the Bills signing Doug Legursky as an afterthought to back up the center position. Lord help us should Wood go out with an injury, as that running 71% up the middle will go right down the toilet with Legurski under center.

Keep Spiller, build a better O line that can power block and open holes off tackle. Bills RB carries 456, carries off left end 6%- carries left tackle 11%- carries mid guard 71%- carries right tackle 10%- carries right end 3%.

To put how lopsided that Buffalo offense was, the Eagles were the #1 rushing offense in the NFL last year. Eagles RB carries 402, carries off left end 21%- carries off left tackle 10%- carries off mid guard 40%- carries off right tackle 9%- Carries off right 19%. Now, that is a very well balanced effective offense run game.

And we were #2. I agree we need to use Spiller better, but it is not as if we had a poor running game last year. I like your comments on the line. It always starts there.

Great post. Where are you getting the numbers?

so you find one highlight and pretend you are right?? how bout the 50 runs last year for 1 yard by CJ??? anyone with two eyes knows CJ cant take a tackler with him past half a yard...and which other things did I say aren't true?? he sucks at pass protection, has several fumbles etc...he doesn't get injured easily? he doesn't run out of bounds when we need to kill clock??? maybe look at stats rather than a highlight film...or do you like to play make believe? CJ is just plain dumb...sorry but its true.

Is something wrong with your computer ? That video was over 3 minutes long. That's ONE long highlight. You have called CJ dumb in many many posts now. I would bet on CJ vs you in a game of jeopardy or trivial pursuit all day everyday. I am not sure your opinion on this matter can be trusted as you troll too hard to be taken seriously. The evidence is right in front of you but you ignore it to troll.

If you want to talk stats lets talk stats and then this thing is over.

2012----1600 yards. Yep 1600. Projected top 2 fantasy rb going into 2013. **w gailey 2nd half freezeouts

2013-----900 yards. High ankle sprain/Colin brown/Legursky brick wall wasted carries.

Agree to disagree. Troll so hard just like Stevie though. Some of us like the Bills.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Spiller has no vision, can't break a tackle, and has way too many negative plays. He has killer speed but two coaching staffs have not been able to use him effectively in the passing game. He can not pass block anyone - a DB, a LB, or even chip a DE.

No doubt when he makes it to the second level he can beat the linebackers and safeties on speed alone. He has truly elite speed but simply is not a good RB. I don't think it can be taught either. I think it is just running instincts and he simply doesn't have them. He doesn't read blocks well, he doesn't know when to follow a blocker instead of running past him, and I think he simply has no elusiveness.

He is going to want a huge money deal and RB's aren't worth it. If he plays well this year then he is the ideal player to franchise for a year or two. Don't commit big long term dollars to an aging RB.

In 2012 Spiller attained a phenomenal 6.0 yards per carry on 207 attempts, 1244 yards. Go back and look at the stats of RB's with 200 or more carries in the last ten years, and see which ones attained that type of success running the ball.

Then if you go back and look at each game by game result you come away thinking that Chan Gailey simply didn't use Spiller often enough.

Week 1, Opening day against the NY Jets- 14 attempts for 169 yards, one TD. 2 receptions for 25 yards..total 194 yards!

week 2, against the Chiefs-15 attempts for 123 yards, two TD. 3 receptions for 47 yards....total 170 yards!

week 3, against the Browns- 4 attempts for 16 yards , 2 receptions for 42 yards...total 58 yards

Week 4, against the Patriots-8 attempts for 33 yards, 2 receptions for 5 yards...total 38 yards

week 5, against the 49ers-7 attempts for 24 yards, no receptions... total 24 yards

week 6, against the Cardinals-12 attempts for 88 yards, 4 receptions for 22 yards...total 110 yards

week 7, against the Titans-12 attempts for 70 yards, 6 receptions for 32 yards...total 102 yards

week 8, against the Texans-6 attempts for 39 yards, 5 receptions for 33 yards..total 72 yards.

week 9, against the Patriots-9 attempts for 70 yards, 4 recptions for 61 yards...total 131 yards

week 10, against the Dolphins-22 attempts for 91 yards, 3 receptions for 39 yards...total 130 yards

week 11, against the Colts 14 attempts for 107 yards, 1 reception for -1 yards..total 106 yards

week 12, against the Jags- 14 attempts for 77 yards, 1 reception for 7 yards...total 84 yards

week 13, against the Rams-7 attempts for 37 yards, 1 reception for 15 yards...total 52 yards

Week 14, against the Seahawks- 17 attempts for 103 yards, 3 receptions for -2 yards...total 101 yards

week 15, against the Dolphins- 22 for 138 yards, 4 receptions for 35 yards...total 173 yards

week 16, against the NY Jets- 24 attempts for 59 yards, 2 receptions for 72 yards....total 131 yards

What I come away with looking at those games is that Chan Gailey didn't run Spiller enough, and or gave up on the run game entirely to quickly, as he panicked when the team got behind in points. Probably why Nate Hackett stated before the season started that he would run Spiller until he threw up. He did, he just didn't do it very effectively!

In regards to that bolded part about Spiller's elusiveness,

"They don’t get much more elusive than Spiller. He turned his 207 rushes into 1,244 yards largely because of his ability to turn a little into a lot. That’s why his 2012 Elusive Rating(94.6) was the best we’ve ever recorded. A threat every time he touched the ball and a snip at costing the Bills $3.5m of their cap."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/25/performance-based-value-buffalo-bills/

So you see that I'm not the only one who think CJ Spiller could be an awesome asset to an offense that understands how to properly utilize him. Then think, "IF ONLY" the Bills had an offensive line comparable to the Eagles or 49ers, that they would absolutely dominate opposing teams with the run game.

Great post. Where are you getting the numbers?

Thanks

from,

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/3/

And we were #2. I agree we need to use Spiller better, but it is not as if we had a poor running game last year. I like your comments on the line. It always starts there.

When you really look at all the numbers, all the bills managed to do was put up some good yardage numbers by having the most rushing attempts in the league, and most of that was because of the talented RB's. Now, you would think that because they ran the ball so much last season that they must have been pretty good at controlling the clock, and line of scrimmage.

To quantify why they were so bad a team (6-10) while being the #2 running team in the NFL. Just look at how ineffective they actually were running the ball.

The Bills were 25th in three, and out drive percentage. 214 total drives, and 53 were three and out. They only had 10 drives all season of holding the ball more then five minutes.

The Bills were 29th in third down efficiency

The Bills were 31st in first down percentage.

The Bills were 28th in offensive yards per play, 5410 overall yards, 1116 plays, 4.61 yards per play.

To put it bluntly, the Bills offense stunk it up because they because they couldn't control the line, or the clock on offense. They need better talent on that line IMHO.

In 2012 Spiller attained a phenomenal 6.0 yards per carry on 207 attempts, 1244 yards. Go back and look at the stats of RB's with 200 or more carries in the last ten years, and see which ones attained that type of success running the ball.

Then if you go back and look at each game by game result you come away thinking that Chan Gailey simply didn't use Spiller often enough.

Week 1, Opening day against the NY Jets- 14 attempts for 169 yards, one TD. 2 receptions for 25 yards..total 194 yards!

week 2, against the Chiefs-15 attempts for 123 yards, two TD. 3 receptions for 47 yards....total 170 yards!

week 3, against the Browns- 4 attempts for 16 yards , 2 receptions for 42 yards...total 58 yards

Spiller got hurt in that Browns game after an electric 30+ yard screen play in the first half. It was his shoulder, and at first I thought he was going to be out for a long time given how much pain he seemed to be in. He was not 100 percent for either of the next two games, and IIRC the next week was a game-time decision. Also, that Niners game got out of hand very, very early.

Edited by dave mcbride