Chris Williams signed

Seriously, I respectfully urge you to calm down.

You want to talk about the signing? Kirwin and Miller were asked about it today. Kirwin said that he has not shown anything since as far back as the Senior Bowl. Miller was a bit more kind. He said that he played poorly at Guard and had big problems at LT, but he had some success at RT.

I have not read the entire thread, but according to these announcers he is a swing tackle more than he is a guard. I have not seen enough of him to form or present an opinion. If he is a decent swing tackle, the price is right. If not and they think he is a guard, it will be attempt #3 to plug the hole that the front office created when they let Levitre walk.

What is important to me is that they address the OL in the draft, in spite of this new addition which appears to be not such a big deal.

I appreciate the sentiment, Bill. I'm quite calm--my post was clear that this thread was started to discuss the signing and not to be a referendum about how horrible the team is in everything it does, as there are plenty of places for that exact discussion. If you (or anyone else) takes issue with that sentiment, by all means PM me as I have no problem discussing such things.

As for the de facto signing, we shall see. What I saw from St. Louis last year tells me he is capable of being a short-term starter at LG; my personal hope is that he's a stop-gap to a younger guy that they're planning to draft.

The first Big Cat I remember is Ernie Ladd, KC Chiefs then professional wrestler.

I met Ernie a few times...he'd make a fantastic Santa Claus (vis-a-vis he has the best "ho ho ho"-style laugh I've ever heard)

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the Buffalo News article, I don't know anything about Chris Williams. I do know Greg Gabriel and I trust his opinion. So I am optimistic about this signing.

Williams was drafted in the first round to play tackle, before the rookie salary cap. He struggled at tackle was moved to guard. Was the reason Chicago cut him,that he was making first round tackle money while playing guard?

I just read the Buffalo News article, I don't know anything about Chris Williams. I do know Greg Gabriel and I trust his opinion. So I am optimistic about this signing.

Williams was drafted in the first round to play tackle, before the rookie salary cap. He struggled at tackle was moved to guard. Was the reason Chicago cut him,that he was making first round tackle money while playing guard?

Probably not, because they benched him before they cut him. Also, even under the old setup, #14 overall wasn't a huge contract. It was the top 5, and to a lesser extent the top 10, that were really nuts.

I just watched Williams against Dallas and San Francisco (first one in Dallas)

Week 3 at Dallas

Not much of a run game because the Rams are out of the game early, when they run the ball, Williams moves his man.

He's solid in pass protection but gives up a sack to Hatcher on third and long. Again, he doesn't look smooth when he pulls. No penalties. The right side of the Rams Oline is bad. lots of drops and Bradford isn't very good.

Week 4 at home against 49ers

He's matched up against Justin Smith all game one on one, Smith isn't a factor. No penalties. The Rams can run the ball more, he's still a better run blocker than pass blocker.

So far I see solid player, maybe as the year goes on he get worse but I don't see it. Good thing we like to run the ball a lot.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10597325/2014-nfl-free-agency-aqib-talib-contract-early-deals-make-no-sense

Along with the Talib and D'Qwell Jackson deals, coming in at number five is the Chris Williams signing. It is an insider article so I'm sorry if anyone cannot read but I'll post the Chris Williams portion for easy-perusal. It is only an opinion and slightly mine as well, but I'm also open to seeing him try and develop. It's just difficult to argue hopeful development with his established resume of statistics. Not sure if anyone else felt as though the Bills overreached in this regard, but I would like to be convinced otherwise if possible!

"Chris Williams, OL, Buffalo Bills

Four years, $13.5 million, $5 million guaranteed

This move can only be explained as a team not actually getting around to watching the tape of the guy it is signing. I'm not just talking about his 2013 tape either; you could throw in pretty much any tape of Williams since coming into the league, and you would come away convinced that there is a better option available.

Williams is a former first-round pick, however, and has name recognition, which apparently is worth enough to outweigh the 41 total pressures he surrendered last season playing guard for the Rams, a figure that was seventh-worst in the league among guards. Only one of those players surrendered pressure at a worse rate per snap in pass protection than Williams. Somehow, the Bills thought that Williams was worth signing to a four-year contract."

-Sam Monson, Pro Football Focus

I'm sure playing twice against SF, Sea and Arizonas killer pass rushes had nothing to do with all those pressures. Not making excuses but those numbers have to be skewed

I thought the same thing when I saw this. St. Louis seems they do not know whats going on with their o-line. Lets him next to a really solid C/LT in Eric and Cordy. He also mentioned about how coach Marrone already was telling him simple things on how to be better.

At least he is good on screens, apparently. BTW he may be OK next to Glenn.

Admittedly not knowing much that was a point that I was going to expunge on. Using him screens and as a pulling Guard may make a difference in Williams' production or at least I'm hoping it will. I listened to John Murphy's interview with Williams and one thing that Murphy said before he introduced Williams is that we signed another former 1st rd pick, the other being LB Keith Rivers and while he can't endorse them as great players but because they are former 1st rders that in itself validates that they are good athletes. That makes a lot of sense to me. So seeing that we do run a lot of screens maybe this is a better signing than what it initially appears. All I can say is I sure do hope that this could be the case because at this point that's all I, we, can do about it.

Go Bills???

I understand that a writer has to be creative to make things interesting...but implying they never watched any tape on the guy--literally or figuratively---it's kind of cheesey. Riiighhhht----no one could ever possibly see it differently than you, an esteemed writer from PFF. You know what? I had Sam Monson from PFF rated 17th out of the internet bloggers I rated, and I only rated 11. I have him at -.66537.

On the other hand, I don't get wrapped up any more on what a guy from PFF or Rotoworld writes because it's largely irrelevant to the fact that THEY thought he was worth it. he's one of our guys now, my assumption is that they have a plan for the guy and they didn't just throw a dart against the board. oh--and I definitely support guys who write positive pieces about players who actually do sign here--that's totally different.

I'm sure playing twice against SF, Sea and Arizonas killer pass rushes had nothing to do with all those pressures. Not making excuses but those numbers have to be skewed

So, I guess as long as we're not playing good teams he'll do just fine. With us not making the playoffs in I can't even remember when, sounds like a great pick up.

no one could ever possibly see it differently than you, an esteemed writer from PFF. You know what? I had Sam Monson from PFF rated 17th out of the internet bloggers I rated, and I only rated 11. I have him at -.66537.

other than polians grade, ive literally seen no one say its a good move. even if it is, ive not seen any indication that we were bidding against anyone but ourselves really. he was cut midseason in 2012, and in 2013 he played on a one year 1m contract with play time incentives i believe. ive seen no commentary better than that he was adequate against weak opponents and overmatched by strong ones last year.... to jump to what we gave him makes the contract a bit of a head scratcher potentially, even if he plays better... drafting brady in the first round wouldve been crazy kind of idea that im getting at

Edited by NoSaint

other than polians grade, ive literally seen no one say its a good move. even if it is, ive not seen any indication that we were bidding against anyone but ourselves really. he was cut midseason in 2012, and in 2013 he played on a one year 1m contract with play time incentives i believe. ive seen no commentary better than that he was adequate against weak opponents and overmatched by strong ones last year.... to jump to what we gave him makes the contract a bit of a head scratcher potentially, even if he plays better... drafting brady in the first round wouldve been crazy kind of idea that im getting at

and that's all well and good, and i'm not disagreeing with you, non-heavenly one. they could have made a mistake here, or thought they got someone for a fair buck when in fact they didn't. time will tell, and sam monson will be off doing his thing with the next batch of fa signings. but to be fair--if you're looking for commentary supporting the move, you have polian...and the only one that truly matters, that of the bills. he's certainly not an expensive signing, relatively speaking. put another way---is the thought that no one was eer going to sign the guy...or sign him only for vet minimum?

the fact remains..sammy mons keeps moving and we'll know soon enough if the signing of Chris Williams by the Buffalo Bills was a fair deal or sucked some'in awful. he's here, they chose him, that's what they saw. marrone's degree is a master's in line management (or so they say), so let's see what happens.

or sign him only for vet minimum?

roughly, that. his local paper speculated as much last month, he was essentially playing on one of those types of deals last year that he didnt sign til april, the year before he was cut mid season while receiving modest pay on a rookie contract, and cleared waivers on a lower paying contract with no guarantees....

it certainly wont be devastating even if he flops, so im not losing sleep or anything, but its a bit out of sorts that it happened the way it did with the information available (admittedly limited)..... we passed on him twice at much lower salaries and no guaranteed dollars in the last 18 months (3 times if you count clearing waivers and his following free agency separately).

Edited by NoSaint

He's an upgrade over what we had and this contract is VERY reasonable. If he was a real good player we'd be paying double this contract

Yea that is kind of the point. Why not go out and sign a great player and have a great offensive line, instead the overpay for a below average - bad starter. It's what losers do.