Jets Cut Cromartie

H2o

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3671/antonio-cromartie

Jets released CB Antonio Cromartie.

The move saves $9.5 million in cap room, clearing a $4.3 million salary, $5 million roster bonus, and $200,000 workout bonus off the books. Cromartie was a legit shutdown corner in 2012, but his play slipped dramatically in 2013 as he battled a chronic hip injury, appearing stiffer than ever. Still only 30 years old -- he turns in April -- Cromartie will be a boom-or-bust free agent signing. The Jets have flirted with free agent Alterraun Verner, and appear poised to move on.

What real sense would it make for them to sign Byrd at this juncture?

Their best CB played horribly last season.

They are crazy thin in the secondary. Milliner looking like a bust so far. If I am Byrd, I don't go where I am the only one back there who can play. At least in Buffalo he has some other 1st and 2nd rd talent back there. I think the Jets are the team he most likes to play AGAINST, anyway, lol. He sure feasted on Sanchez and Geno.

They are crazy thin in the secondary. Milliner looking like a bust so far. If I am Byrd, I don't go where I am the only one back there who can play. At least in Buffalo he has some other 1st and 2nd rd talent back there. I think the Jets are the team he most likes to play AGAINST, anyway, lol. He sure feasted on Sanchez and Geno.

Don't they have LaRon Landry?

May i suppose , part of the notification here was to ask consideration as to his being looked at by OBD.

I would think not.

I also had no thoughts that Byrd was pondering becoming a Jet.

And even less so now.

Also

wow.

The Jets appear to be, ahem , rebuilding ? Or something like that ?

Milliner had a pretty good second half of the year. I think he's trending away from bust status.

May i suppose , part of the notification here was to ask consideration as to his being looked at by OBD.

I would think not.

I also had no thoughts that Byrd was pondering becoming a Jet.

And even less so now.

Also

wow.

The Jets appear to be, ahem , rebuilding ? Or something like that ?

Nothing official on their interest in him, however it has been speculated that they will go after him because they are so thin at the Safety position and because he played so well in Pettine's D and could easily slip into Rex's.

Milliner had a pretty good second half of the year. I think he's trending away from bust status.

Did he? They better hope that is the case as he was picked so high. It is hard to break into the league as a corner. I think Walls was decent last year too.

Nothing official on their interest in him, however it has been speculated that they will go after him because they are so thin at the Safety position and because he played so well in Pettine's D and could easily slip into Rex's.

Did he? They better hope that is the case as he was picked so high. It is hard to break into the league as a corner. I think Walls was decent last year too.

But i would think it would be low on Jairus wish list

That's why I think Byrd will sign with a team who has a more established defense. To me, the Eagles or Rams make the most sense.

http://www.rotoworld...tonio-cromartie

Jets released CB Antonio Cromartie.

The move saves $9.5 million in cap room, clearing a $4.3 million salary, $5 million roster bonus, and $200,000 workout bonus off the books. Cromartie was a legit shutdown corner in 2012, but his play slipped dramatically in 2013 as he battled a chronic hip injury, appearing stiffer than ever. Still only 30 years old -- he turns in April -- Cromartie will be a boom-or-bust free agent signing. The Jets have flirted with free agent Alterraun Verner, and appear poised to move on.

Look for him to make his way to Cleveland.

It's going to happen with more regularity, big time starters getting cut due to huge contracts. It's an interesting NFL.

Dudes are getting signed to crazy numbers, but then teams also have to let go of players that are expensive... Wonder what the average length of time a player will stay on a team is going to be... a couple years?

Anyways, I could see this happening to Mario within the next year or two. Even if he's producing at a high rate... 18-19mil (whatever it's going to be) is a lot of money tied up in one player. Especially for a franchise that really needs to maximize profits.

Obviously Rex feels that his front line will put enough pressure on the QB that they only need average CBs to defend. Not a bad move IMO! Imagine spending 10million per year on a SAFETY!

Edited by curitiba

Obviously Rex feels that his front line will put enough pressure on the QB that they only need average CBs to defend. Not a bad move IMO! Imagine spending 10million per year on a SAFETY!

Yup, the big money should be spent up front. For as much credit as Seattle's secondary gets, they benefit from a great pass rush. That said, a playmaking S is a huge asset. Hard to see it as a $9-$10 million/ year one though.

Given that Byrd was a 2nd round pick, it seems like there is a replacement for him in this draft. They just need to find one.

Yup, the big money should be spent up front. For as much credit as Seattle's secondary gets, they benefit from a great pass rush. That said, a playmaking S is a huge asset. Hard to see it as a $9-$10 million/ year one though.

Given that Byrd was a 2nd round pick, it seems like there is a replacement for him in this draft. They just need to find one.

they are also borderline extorting and robbing their secondary. All of them on deals so cheap that its not even funny! Edited by jboyst62

I thought they were still pretty critical of him throughout the year, but calling any CB a bust after one season would be crazy talk. The jury is a long way from coming in on Milliner.

Cro was an excellent signing for the Jets but he definitely ran out of steam last year.

I thought they were still pretty critical of him throughout the year, but calling any CB a bust after one season would be crazy talk. The jury is a long way from coming in on Milliner.

Cro was an excellent signing for the Jets but he definitely ran out of steam last year.

milliner looked a lot like Gilmore at his worst but consistently and every play. His athleticism and speed saved his ass many times. He had some beautiful pass deflections but the guy looked to be stuttering and bewildered when processing the play. And when the play was made it was like a switch turned and he showed up

There is upside there but there is room for a lot of concern. He reminds me of McKelvin.

The market for corners is a really good one. Revis getting traded or possibly cut, all sorts of vet corners who are still pretty decent getting cut. Good corners hitting the market on top of all that. Its definitely a buyers market that the Bills should be in on. They are a little thin at corner and there is no need to burn a pick on a corner when you have a market filled with them.