FJax has been in touch with Jairus and he's still open to returnin

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd HAS to say he is open to returning to the team. If he said otherwise he would lose negotiating leverage. If Buffalo does make him a juicy offer, that only further helps him get a better deal with another team.

We all want Byrd to stay but I think we'll just have to be happy with Williams.

He doesn’t have to say that at all. Reason being is that there are multiple teams who will be attempting to sign him. Whether one of them is the Bills or not won’t make any difference. Byrd has leverage already just by virtue of being the top player available at his position and one of the top players available in general.

Is there a team out there willing to get into a 10+ million bidding war for him? I’m interested to see that myself. I agree with you that he’s gone. There are teams out there that need what he brings and have a lot of cap money to blow.

Williams is a good player to have. Up and coming at the position and under contract for 5 more seasons. Health permitting there is a good chance we see a lot more good things out of him.

Edited by purple haze

:w00t: I love Byrd as a player but I've accepted he's not coming back and I'm ready to move forward. I think Byrd is a top 3 S but I do question spending that much on a S. I also want to get players who really want to be here and not just because we completely overpay them.

I'm so sick of people whining about "wanting players who want to be here". What player in their right mind would WANT to play for the ****ty Bills? I'm serious.

If not for boat loads of cash, I see no other reason. There's no winning tradition, horrible management, horrible weather, no stability at QB and on offense, a new defensive coordinator every year, etc.

It's time people stop getting emotional over players at least wanting to see what else is out there.

Edited by cantankerous

Well, it appears that if all things are equal Byrd stays with us. Now, if another offer comes in a little bit more from another team does he sign just for the money or does he still stays with us due to being content? I guess that would be the question in my mind at this time but only Byrd can answer that.

As far as FJax goes I I only did that to try and fit it all into the title, no disrespect meant.

Go Bills!

That’s a good question too. I would say it depends on the team offering a little bit more. If it’s Cleveland, maybe he stays. If it’s Philly he probably bounces. I think Pettine leaving was a blow. Yet another DC and system to learn.

I'm pretty sure Buffalo has made their final offer....

Agree, but their offer will be better than anyone will be willing to offer...so welcome back Byrd...the eagles, et cetera are not stupid enough to pay 10 million a season for a player with PF.

I'm so sick of people whining about "wanting players who want to be here". What player in their right mind would WANT to play for the ****ty Bills? I'm serious.

If not for boat loads of cash, I see no other reason. There's no winning tradition, there's horrible management, there's horrible weather.

It's time people stop getting emotional over players at least wanting to see what else is out there.

I agree the fans talking “players who want to be here” are a bit off. At the same time the fans who whine about “why would they want to play for the Bills except for the money” are just as off in a way; off in that 31 other teams fall into that category. It’s not just the Bills.

Andy Levitre went to Tennessee for the money. Albert Haynesworth went to DC for the money. Mario came to Buffalo for the money. Paul Kruger went to Cleveland for the money. Mike Wallace went to Miami for the money. The NFL is the players’ jobs. They aren’t as emotional about things as fans. Yes, if all else is equal they will go to the team with the better whatever it is as they judge it. But most FA’s leave one place and go to another because some team is willing to pay them that much more money than the next or commit to giving them playing time they haven’t been getting. If it’s in Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville or Timbuktu won’t matter to them.

A family member of mine was a friend of Alvin Harper. I asked him why Alvin would leave Dallas and go to Tampa Bay, who at the time was still the Creamsicle bums everyone knew. I asked doesn’t he want to win? I was told he just wants to get paid and Tampa Bay paid him. That was it.

Edited by purple haze

Dude, players will always go for more money if they can get it. Unless they’re an older player chasing a ring. I agree the fans talking “players who want to be here” are a bit off. At the same time the fans who whine about “why would they want to be here except for the money” are just as off. 31 other teams fall into that category. Andy Levitre wen to Tennessee for the money. Albert Haynesworth went to DC for the money. Mario came to Buffalo for the money. Mike Wallace went to Miami for the money. The NFL is the players’ jobs. They aren’t as emotional about things as fans. Yes, if all else is equal they will go to the team with better whatever as they judge it. But most FA’s leave one place and go to another because they are getting a lot more money.

Ironically ....except Stevie.

aren't the 49ers letting Whitner and a few others go? I know they have to sign Kaepernick so you may be right.

On that note, rumor is CK wants no less than 20m per and sees himself as a top 5 QB in the league. thatll be an interesting negotiation.

i'm open to dating kate upton.

Get in line.

But come on guys. Of course he is open to returning to the Bills just like he is open to not returning to the Bills. What's the point in trying to psychoanalyze every offhand comment by a teammate.

On that note, rumor is CK wants no less than 20m per and sees himself as a top 5 QB in the league. thatll be an interesting negotiation.

I read that. Reports that he may pull a Flacco and take a chance if 9ers don't give him what he wants.

I think that's actually a bull **** answer to cover the simple motivating factor....greed. Byrd wants to make as much money as possible, he doesn't give a **** about his teammates. If the Bills offered him an $18M signing bonus and $10 per he's going to forget all about his teammates and he'll wind up singing somewhere else for $20M and $11 per yer.

Normal people take less money for jobs they love everyday. Most of them won't make in their lifetime what Byrd will pay in in taxes. Teammates my ass, it's all about the Benjamin's for Byrd.

What less money are people taking for jobs they love IF they have the option of making more money to do the same job at a different company? Come on, man...

Say you made 50 grand pulling levers at company X. Well, you get info that at company Y a guy pulling levers there makes 75 grand. That guy hasn’t been named employee of the month as many times as you have. He hasn’t won employee of the year as many times as you have either. You show up on time everyday. You work overtime when asked. You rarely, if ever, utilize one of your given sick days. The boss made you responsible for your line crew because of your excellent performance and the high regard your colleagues hold you in. Should you be asking for a raise from company X? If they don’t give it to you how would you feel? Would you not entertain going to Company Z or A or B who informed you that they would potentially give you 85, 90, 95 grand?

Let me answer that for you: YOU WOULD BOUNCE… And as a worker in a “normal” job you would have every right to give company X two weeks notice and leave for more green; as any sensible person would. Does that mean you don’t love your friends still working at company X? No. They don’t have anything to do with your financial business. Does it mean you hate company X? Not necessarily. You would have liked them to pay you. But since there are other companies out there who will pay you why bother to hate company X? They hired you at one time. You just have a better opportunity to get the money you feel your work performance deserves elsewhere.

Jairus Byrd and other pro athletes do not work in the “normal” world. They can’t give two weeks notice. They play where they are drafted. They can call their own shot once they play out their rookie deal barring an early extension. And they can do that in the NFL only if they don’t get tagged. The fact Byrd or others are making millions has no bearing on it. This isn’t the same as a CEO making a 50 million dollar bonus and workers at one of their plants, making 8 bucks an hour, are getting laid off so the CEO can cop 50 million+1.

Edited by purple haze

Honestly, I wouldn't expect Byrd to say any different. Doesn't mean he truly believes that tho.

The key to this being somewhat interesting is that he said it to Fred. It would be meaningless if he said that on ESPN or some other media outlet.

The key to this being somewhat interesting is that he said it to Fred. It would be meaningless if he said that on ESPN or some other media outlet.

He's obviously said the same to Aaron Williams as well...Last night on John Murphy's show when asked about the Byrd situation Williams said...and I'll paraphrase a little...he's been asked a ton about Byrd and the one thing he wants people to understand is that Byrd would have no problem coming back to Buffalo...He said it's just business and it's got to play out basically...So... B-)

I'm not really siding with anyone. The Bills are doing what they have to do to protect their rights and interests and Byrd is doing what he feels he needs to do to protect his. He's testing the market to see just how much he can get and that's fine. Byrd and his agent's both know full well that he could sign a 10 year $100 million contract but he's never going to see all of that money so the entire discussion of contract term becomes irrelevant. Just stop telling me how much you'd like to come back and how much you love your teammates.

What he's not saying is that he'd love to come back and stay with his teammates as long as the Bills are willing to give him more money than any other team.

What will be truly telling is when the news of his new contract comes out and the leak of what the Bills offered.

To be fair, he really might love to come back. And I don't doubt for a second that he hasn't forged great friendships with some of his teammates here in Buffalo.

But he's also human, and leaving whatever amount of money on the table for a team without the winning ways he might desire is entirely normal in my book. The revealing factor, and what might shed some light on his motives, is not what he signs for but where he ends up signing.

What less money are people taking for jobs they love IF they have the option of making more money to do the same job at a different company? Come on, man...

Say you made 50 grand pulling levers at company X. Well, you get info that at company Y a guy pulling levers there makes 75 grand. That guy hasn’t been named employee of the month as many times as you have. He hasn’t won employee of the year as many times as you have either. You show up on time everyday. You work overtime when asked. You rarely, if ever, utilize one of your given sick days. The boss made you responsible for your line crew because of your excellent performance and the high regard your colleagues hold you in. Should you be asking for a raise from company X? If they don’t give it to you how would you feel? Would you not entertain going to Company Z or A or B who informed you that they would potentially give you 85, 90, 95 grand?

Let me answer that for you: YOU WOULD BOUNCE… And as a worker in a “normal” job you would have every right to give company X two weeks notice and leave for more green; as any sensible person would. Does that mean you don’t love your friends still working at company X? No. They don’t have anything to do with your financial business. Does it mean you hate company X? Not necessarily. You would have liked them to pay you. But since there are other companies out there who will pay you why bother to hate company X? They hired you at one time. You just have a better opportunity to get the money you feel your work performance deserves elsewhere.

Jairus Byrd and other pro athletes do not work in the “normal” world. They can’t give two weeks notice. They play where they are drafted. They can call their own shot once they play out their rookie deal barring an early extension. And they can do that in the NFL only if they don’t get tagged. The fact Byrd or others are making millions has no bearing on it. This isn’t the same as a CEO making a 50 million dollar bonus and workers at one of their plants, making 8 bucks an hour, are getting laid off so the CEO can cop 50 million+1.

Nailed it.

Of course he is open for returning as long as some team does not meet his insanely high salary demands. If the Bills had any stones they would publicly state that they offered Byrd a very generous contract, he declined & now they are pulling their offer. But they won't do that, they will just continue to sit there & let parker make an ahole out of them.

Yes cutting off your nose to spite your face is always the best strategy.

Edited by section122