Bills sign Aaron Williams to extension

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 20s

According to @MikeGarafolo, it's a 4-year, $26 million extension. Average of $6.5 million per year.

That's more than I was expecting, considering he just had the one good year at the position. Hope he works out over the next 4 years. (This is in no way me being down on this... I like Williams a lot, and want him on this team.)

Edited by Dorkington

Good news:

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 1m

The 4-year extension for #Bills S Aaron Williams is worth $26M, per source. It can be worth up to $27.25M over the course of the deal.

Great news. I really like Aaron Williams and he plays with a lot of heart. I read earlier that nobody would reasonably pay top money to two safeties on one roster. Byrd is a good name for a player on the Eagles. I just hope he doesn't go to the Pats.

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 20s

According to @MikeGarafolo, it's a 4-year, $26 million extension. Average of $6.5 million per year.

That is a good deal for both sides. If he plays at the level of last year he is absolutely worth that. From Williams' standpoint he gets a chance to get some security and a chance to remain in Buffalo (which he seems to like).

Thought: we blame Russ for Byrd leaving. Do we give him credit for extending AWilliams?

Not for nothing, but Byrd is a far better player than Williams.

As Dorkington said--it's a big reward for one season of decent play.

fantastic news!

let's see dareus and glenn next please - they've earned big deals and will only get more expensive/less willing to sign as they get closer to free agency

The Bills can't extend Glenn until next year, per CBA rules.

That is a good deal for both sides. If he plays at the level of last year he is absolutely worth that. From Williams' standpoint he gets a chance to get some security and a chance to remain in Buffalo (which he seems to like).

As a fan, this is something I really appreciate from players. When they seem to be enjoying being on the team/in the area.

Good news:

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 1m

The 4-year extension for #Bills S Aaron Williams is worth $26M, per source. It can be worth up to $27.25M over the course of the deal.

Great news. I really like Aaron Williams and he plays with a lot of heart. I read earlier that nobody would reasonably pay top money to two safeties on one roster. Byrd is a good name for a player on the Eagles. I just hope he doesn't go to the Pats.

Eagles maybe. Pats no way.

Guys: Be amazed at my genius!!!

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/164782-would-you-rather-have-aaron-williams-or-jairus-byrd-long-term/

My OP:

"Aaron Williams will be heading into the last year of a four-year deal this year.

Who would you rather sign long-term-- Williams or Byrd?

I honestly believe that the Bills won't pay both guys, so I don't believe "sign both" is a viable answer.

A few years ago, the Steelers made Mike Wallace a great offer; he turned it down; and they gave the same deal to Antonio Brown. Do the Bills do the same thing with Williams-- i.e., give him what they were willing to pay Byrd, and then tag/trade Byrd? That is the way I am leaning."

Always looking to argue arent we? When did I say I disagreed? I said you were a ray of sunshine. You even quoted it. Help me out..

I see, just getting in a dig for my posting that Byrd and Williams are not equivalent talents and therefore agreeing with another poster regarding Williams's relative compensation.

No argument here..

This is good news. I like him. He has talent. He played at a high level last year. He seems to be growing into a team leader. He shows passion for the team and seems to genuinely enjoy playing in Buffalo.

P.S. Just to be clear, do we "blame" Russ or Overdorf for this?

Edited by Peter

Guys: Be amazed at my genius!!!

http://forums.twobil...byrd-long-term/

My OP:

"Aaron Williams will be heading into the last year of a four-year deal this year.

Who would you rather sign long-term-- Williams or Byrd?

I honestly believe that the Bills won't pay both guys, so I don't believe "sign both" is a viable answer.

A few years ago, the Steelers made Mike Wallace a great offer; he turned it down; and they gave the same deal to Antonio Brown. Do the Bills do the same thing with Williams-- i.e., give him what they were willing to pay Byrd, and then tag/trade Byrd? That is the way I am leaning."

Nice work!