Is this how the new era under Brandon going to go?

A Byrd in the hand is worth more than a bunch of players that 31other teams are also interested in. Not that they won't come in for a visit if they aren't initially offered the contract they want with a team with quality at the QB positon and HC.

Ha ha, I don't disagree. At the end of the day if you don't have a QB you can have all of the great FS or RTs in the world and you aren't going anywhere.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha, I don't disagree. At the end of the day if you don't have a QB you can have all of the great FS or RTs in the world and you aren't going anywhere.

I am in agreement, but using that logic you aren't building a team until you get a QB. Which isn't accurate. You should always be building.

I am in agreement, but using that logic you aren't building a team until you get a QB. Which isn't accurate. You should always be building.

I do agree and think that they have done a decent job of that. The holes aren't major (although another opened today). They need a S, LB, RT, WR, LG, TE and P. I think that they can get 4of those filled in the draft, WR (Evans), LG (Jackson), LB (Borland), TE (Gilmore) and a punter. If free agency was Delmas and Collins or something I think that the team is in great shape.

That BS press conference announcing Brandon as top dog was nothing more then PR spin

It still amazes me how many people believed it was anything more then that

Some teams want to win while others are happy just to be in the league

Edited by Max997

Russ Brandon is an individual who is a salesmen and a good one at that. He has sold Ralph Wilson Jr. on 3 promotions over the last 15 years. The same 15 years in which the Bills have failed to make the playoffs once. He is now head dog for the Bills, and I'm still trying to figure out what he's accomplished to warrant the title he holds. It's garbage in, garbage out over at One Bills Drive. It's embarrassing and inexcusable to go a decade and a half and not qualify for post season play once. Deciding against the franchise tag today was amateur hour. If you value the guy at $10 mill a year for 3 years then why don't you value him at $8 mill for 1 year. And please don't tell me theres to many moving parts to pull together a trade. We could've snatched a 3rd rounder at an absolute minimum in this years draft by trading him to a team that covets safety help. Instead the Bills have just let a guaranteed 3rd round draft pick walk out the door today. The Bills let a 3rd rounder out the door because they feared having to pay $8.5 million to a player if no trade market developed. Instead of taking that gamble, they worried about the money side of it and folded like a cheap chair. I like the possibility of a trade or even Byrd playing 1 last season with the Bills over no draft picks and no Byrd at all. Today was no different then selling 1 of our home games to Toronto. It's a money first operation at one Bills Drive. Money first, winning second. It's why winning has been secondary the last 15 years.

That BS press conference announcing Brandon as top dog was nothing more then a PR spin

It was the beginning of a new era! :lol:

Which is another reason this team is a joke. They will not draft a QB this year because they've sold themselves into the belief that EJ Manuel needs to be the sole QB on the roster with potential. In 1 season he's shown no ability to stay healthy, no ability to consistently throw the ball accurately, and no pocket presence, yet the Bills will stand pat at the position. And it's why we will endure another 6-7 win season.

I do agree and think that they have done a decent job of that. The holes aren't major (although another opened today). They need a S, LB, RT, WR, LG, TE and P. I think that they can get 4of those filled in the draft, WR (Evans), LG (Jackson), LB (Borland), TE (Gilmore) and a punter. If free agency was Delmas and Collins or something I think that the team is in great shape.

When was the last time this team filled 3-4 needs in the draft in one year with quality players? The last time they drafted 3 bonafide starters who played most of their rookie season was 2009. One of those three starters just walked out the door today and another hit UFA last year without even an offer.

You make it sound so easy and yet it's not. If it were wouldn't the Bills have figured it out by now after 14 years in the NFL wilderness?

That BS press conference announcing Brandon as top dog was nothing more then a PR spin

Russ Brandon - "We will leave no stone unturned" Translation: "We will let Eugene Parker outclass us once again"

When was the last time this team filled 3-4 needs in the draft in one year with quality players? The last time they drafted 3 bonafide starters who played most of their rookie season was 2009. One of those three starters just walked out the door today and another hit UFA last year without even an offer.

You make it sound so easy and yet it's not. If it were wouldn't the Bills have figured it out by now after 14 years in the NFL wilderness?

They say that this is the deepest draft ever because of all of the underclassmen that have declared. The example that I have above is realistic in terms of those players being available at those spots. The Bills last year added Manuel, Kiko, Woods, Goodwin, Hopkins (who would have been the kicker) and Robey. I do not think that 4 plus a punter is unrealistic especially this year.

They say that this is the deepest draft ever because of all of the underclassmen that have declared. The example that I have above is realistic in terms of those players being available at those spots. The Bills last year added Manuel, Kiko, Woods, Goodwin, Hopkins (who would have been the kicker) and Robey. I do not think that 4 plus a punter is unrealistic especially this year.

Which is why we will end up with the #1 next year and the top player will be a CB/S

Why do the Bills need so many starters in year 2 of their most recent rebuild? Especially if they added all these solid players and evidently found a couple of players in UFA last off-season? And why do the Bills so desperately rely on rookies every year?

They just can't seem to build an entire roster or at least enough pieces to compete.

Edited by BillsVet

Why do the Bills need so many starters in year 2 of their most recent rebuild? Especially if they added all these solid players and evidently found a couple of players in UFA last off-season? And why do the Bills so desperately rely on rookies every year?

They just can't seem to build an entire roster or at least enough pieces to compete.

OH OH OH, pick me pick me....I know I know!!

is it because we don't sign our own and we let them leave for nothing over and over and over again???

I am not about patching holes in the draft. The only position that is ever a real need on draft day is a QB if you don't have one. Otherwise, just pick the best players at premium positions early......players who your organization would value enough to pay if they play up to their early round status the way Byrd and Levitre did....... and let the lesser positions that are easier to find talent at later in the draft come to you. For example: I am a big Calvin Pryor fan, but can't see the Bills paying him $15M-$17M per year 4 years from now after all that new TV money floods in and breaks the bank. Therefore, he is off my draft board early. Same goes with CJ Mosley. Not sure they would even pay one non-pass rushing LB a max-contract let alone two within the span of a couple seasons. Mosley is a no-go. I like Evans. The Bills don't really have a need at WR......they have SJ13 and Woods and Goodwin will need snaps and I don't really see EJ transforming into Dan Fouts anytime soon so I think they have a limited use for 4 receivers. Basically, I would pick a receiver like Evans because he would be BPA at a prime position......I am OK with knowing that one or two of those early round picks from the past two years loses his snaps. I believe if you have a solid plan to fill out your starting 21 it can be done much more efficiently than the hunt and peck method of drafting for need. Free agency is where you fill short term needs.

As much as fans love the draft and the big deal it has become; the harsh reality is that you get one maybe 2 starters out of each draft and then they flame out after a few seasons. To think we will fill all of the holes in 1 or 2 drafts is foolhardy. The only way that happens is in Madden and you can take over the crappiest team and take all of their picks and trade the few players they have....

When you have an all-pro player you keep them...

Back to the main question though, if that was the Bills offseason is that team better or worse than the 2013 Bills? I think that team is a few games better and is a pretty complete roster (excluding QB). The OL would be above average to good, they would add a couple of weapons in the pass game with size, a run stuffing LB, improved ST and a starter at FS to soften the blow of losing Byrd. I guess that I just don't see the sky falling over the loss of a really good free safety.

This team has a lot of good young talent and has drafted well in recent years. If they continue to do that they will have a roster that can compete. The talent level on the Bills top to bottom is right there with anyone in the AFC East (and most of the AFC in general). I just hope when they do put it together it isn't like the Bengals with a good roster and no QB. If EJ develops this year great but if not you need to try again next year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Like I said in the Byrd thread this is not going to go over well...At all...It's a public relations nightmare for a team that has missed the Playoffs 14 straight years...That much can't be debated...

But in truth, that's just today...And it's only March 4th...

What is also the truth? No one really knows how it's all going to play out...Yes the past decade and a half can certainly be seen as a decent clue...No one can be more cynical about this Franchise than I can at times...It absolute feels like we're just cursed and it's never...I mean never, ever, going to get better...And if anyone wants to simply say this Franchise is screwed, and that's just the way it is, I can appreciate that argument...I really can...But there really is no reason, at least no logical reason, why the past HAS to determine the future...Nothing is determined yet...And the Bills can come out of this better...As hard as that may be to believe...

Byrd is a FS...Yes he's a darn good one, and yes the Bills would likely be better with him...But it looks like that's not going to happen...So how can they be better without him? Easy...EJ Manual has a breakout year...Done...OK...I realize it's not a given by any stretch, but it really would be that easy...Free Safeties can be replaced...The Bills were 2-3 without Byrd last year and one of those losses came on the last play of the game vs. NE...Another loss was the Justin Rogers game...The third loss was the Cleveland game where EJ got hurt...In that Browns game the Bills gave up a punt return, and an INT return, for TD's...None of those three losses could be blamed solely (or at all) on shoddy FS play...And the Bills had an ancient Jim Leonard out there...There is absolutely no reason to believe this team cannot win without Byrd...None whatsoever...

So anyway...Let's not get overly carried away with this...It looks far worse than it may be...We'll see how bad it really is this coming season...My guess is it's really not going to matter much...The Bills always finds ways to lose that go far beyond one position...They like to spread the ineptitude around... ;)

Like I said in the Byrd thread this is not going to go over well...At all...It's a public relations nightmare for a team that has missed the Playoffs 14 straight years...That much can't be debated...

But in truth, that's just today...And it's only March 4th...

What is also the truth? No one really knows how it's all going to play out...Yes the past decade and a half can certainly be seen as a decent clue...No one can be more cynical about this Franchise than I can at times...It absolute feels like we're just cursed and it's never...I mean never, ever, going to get better...And if anyone wants to simply say this Franchise is screwed, and that's just the way it is, I can appreciate that argument...I really can...But there really is no reason, at least no logical reason, why the past HAS to determine the future...Nothing is determined yet...And the Bills can come out of this better...As hard as that may be to believe...

Byrd is a FS...Yes he's a darn good one, and yes the Bills would likely be better with him...But it looks like that's not going to happen...So how can they be better without him? Easy...EJ Manual has a breakout year...Done...OK...I realize it's not a given by any stretch, but it really would be that easy...Free Safeties can be replaced...The Bills were 2-3 without Byrd last year and one of those losses came on the last play of the game vs. NE...Another loss was the Justin Rogers game...The third loss was the Cleveland game where EJ got hurt...In that Browns game the Bills gave up a punt return, and an INT return, for TD's...None of those three losses could be blamed solely (or at all) on shoddy FS play...And the Bills had an ancient Jim Leonard out there...There is absolutely no reason to believe this team cannot win without Byrd...None whatsoever...

So anyway...Let's not get overly carried away with this...It looks far worse than it may be...We'll see how bad it really is this coming season...My guess is it's really not going to matter much...The Bills always finds ways to lose that go far beyond one position...They like to spread the ineptitude around... ;)

I get the reasoning behind the "lets dump the kid who doesn't want to be here", and this same type of player attitude was held by Levitre, Jason Peters, Whitner, Poz as they chose to leave the Bills.

We don't know what Whaley is fully capable of just yet, and he could do an excellent job as a GM this off season. We all know the positions that need to be filled and it sucks to need to fill another already. If Whaley can find a decent OT-LG-Lber-TE-S in the draft, free agency or both.

I just gotta wonder if this franchise can retain Whaley if he shows the wherewithal to build a playoff contender this year or next. They sure can't find a way to keep the players that want out....