Am I the only one that thinks Aaron Williams could fill the void left

D521646

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will have more trouble filling the void at SS now that AW has to move to FS. AW is more gifted than Byrd athletically. He just needs the game experience. And he was well on his way last year.

GO BILLS!!!

Unfortunately you're not the only one who likely believes this and it is not to insult you but you don't understand or appreciate the differences in defensige schemes and FS&SS

In Pettines D it is easy to miss how Byrd and AWilliams differed but watch some tapes again and you'll see how muchbetter pass coverage was with Byrd. Not to take away from AWilliams but he doesn't have the instinct nor ball skills of Byrd.

To put AWilliams @ FS creates a larger hole at SS, a position many regard as more important, anyway.

Unfortunately you're not the only one who likely believes this and it is not to insult you but you don't understand or appreciate the differences in defensige schemes and FS&SS

In Pettines D it is easy to miss how Byrd and AWilliams differed but watch some tapes again and you'll see how muchbetter pass coverage was with Byrd. Not to take away from AWilliams but he doesn't have the instinct nor ball skills of Byrd.

To put AWilliams @ FS creates a larger hole at SS, a position many regard as more important, anyway.

Yup. Especially in a defense that stinks at stopping the run.

Yup. Especially in a defense that stinks at stopping the run.

throwing this out there

Who was our best DB against the run over the last 3 seasons?Who is a leader on this team for tackles despite a position ththatoesnt place him in an ideal position to do so?

Yeah. Better get ready for some crappy run d next year. But its OK. We have really good pass rushers and DT's that can plug gaps!

Yeah well, not to burst anyone's bubble here, but let's be honest scheme or no scheme (As if to suggest AW can't learn Byrd's position and that somehow Byrd is a better pass defender) I admit I think the Bills FO and Whaley made the right call here. The price tag was too high for the relative difference the Bills would receive having AW take over Byrd's position. Searcy had another year under his belt, and Meeks watched and learned. I think we're not nearly as bad as the doom and gloomer out there.

Tim-

Aaron Williams will be a very good player next season if he is positioned to play the same role as last year. That's why you need to find someone else to replace Byrd if he is gone for good, I wouldn't even think about moving Williams to FS. Why turn a strength into a weakness?

The Bills are experts in turning strengths into weaknesses so forgive me if I am a bit skeptical that they will somehow get this right. The replacement at S either FS or SS will probably be picked at #9 instead of upgrading a weakness the Bills will create one.

I don't think we gain anything by moving AW. He played very well last year especially seeing it was his first year playing SS. If it aint broke dont fix it. FS is now broke and moving AW seems to be braking 2 things as opposed to fixing anything. However AW could be even better FS, glad it up to coaches. I am all for using a 2-4th rounder on a safety and bringing in a vet.

The Bills are experts in turning strengths into weaknesses so forgive me if I am a bit skeptical that they will somehow get this right. The replacement at S either FS or SS will probably be picked at #9 instead of upgrading a weakness the Bills will create one.

O-line LB & Wr i would put above S,,,, depending on how the draft goes.

I don't think we gain anything by moving AW. He played very well last year especially seeing it was his first year playing SS. If it aint broke dont fix it. FS is now broke and moving AW seems to be braking 2 things as opposed to fixing anything. However AW could be even better FS, glad it up to coaches. I am all for using a 2-4th rounder on a safety and bringing in a vet.

O-line LB & Wr i would put above S,,,, depending on how the draft goes.

I was hoping they would sign Byrd and then draft OL/WR/LB in rounds 1-3 but now one of those positions will be ignored so a safety can be drafted.

New regime same as the old. Let player walk, ignore other needs and draft replacement, let player walk, ignore other needs and draft replacement.

I'm interested in what Duke Williams brings to the table ,the reviews were he had about everything you'd want in a safety except he was a little on the skinny side

Would love to see Duke flourish in our defense. He was a baller in college and the Williams Bros. would be a fun tandem to watch.

I think AW could fill the Byrd hole if we sign TJ Ward or some other veteran FA.

I was hoping they would sign Byrd and then draft OL/WR/LB in rounds 1-3 but now one of those positions will be ignored so a safety can be drafted.

New regime same as the old. Let player walk, ignore other needs and draft replacement, let player walk, ignore other needs and draft replacement.

Of course this could change with FA! Wishful thinking i guess

This is a travesty.. The Buffalo Bills dropped the ball as usual. But we're fans, we move on. And here's the reason we drafted like we did last year. Byrd wants out of Buffalo, don't let the door hitcha where the good Lord splitcha. AS and Searcy will only get better and last year they showed promise. Maybe if we start winning players will want to stay. CATCH 22

Yeah well, not to burst anyone's bubble here, but let's be honest scheme or no scheme (As if to suggest AW can't learn Byrd's position and that somehow Byrd is a better pass defender) I admit I think the Bills FO and Whaley made the right call here. The price tag was too high for the relative difference the Bills would receive having AW take over Byrd's position. Searcy had another year under his belt, and Meeks watched and learned. I think we're not nearly as bad as the doom and gloomer out there.

Tim-

Will we get a compensatory pick ? If so, in which draft - 2014 or 2015 ?

I brought this up in the Byrd thread and everyone hated it, but if the Bills only want to pay 2nd tier FA dollars then Chris Clemons of Miami is a FA. He will come cheap and on a short contract. He is a solid player, not a Ward or a Byrd, but solid. He can play either SS or FS. AW is solid, but moving him creates a hole. Getting Clemons fills the hole cheap enough for the Bills FO, and gives them breathing room to see if either D Williams / Meeks really has any kind of real future. Searcy is a depth player at best. No more filling from within without a real plan B ala Lev. It works out so well.

Edited by simpleman