Browns almost traded for Jim Harbaugh

YoloinOhio

I am saying from either POV, management or Harbaugh. And Pettine was set to succeede here at his position not set up to fail like cleveland. I would think he could have stepped into a better position next year, not take the offer after the 5th interview and they were out of options, so what does that say about us.

Nothing. There is no reason for him to think he would have been able to step into a better position next year, since by all accounts he was never contacted for a HC position last year or any other this year. There is a reason he got this job, and a lot of it is they had to hurry up and hire someone. He gave them an ultimatum that they either hire him before SB week or he was pulling out. He would not have done that if he felt like he just wanted to leave the Bills. He knows it is his one shot, he has no idea what will come up next year. Guys like McDaniels and Gase will have offers every year because they have HOF QBs they are coaching and they are on winning teams.

I am not a huge fan of Pettine's defense and I have no idea how he will do as a HC. He seems like a good enough guy, I hope he succeeds but they need a QB. All I know is every day I pass a huge billboard on 315 in Columbus with his glaring mug telling me to buy season tix to the Browns. Um, I'll pass. Harbaugh completely turned around the Niners in his first year. A lot of people in Ohio aren't Harbaugh fans, but I am thinking he could grow on us real quick by fielding an actual, real football team that wasn't everyone's favorite laughing stock of a franchise.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harbaugh is such an impetuous a$$. He rubs everyone the wrong way. He has been uber successful in S.F. and their upper management still can't stand him.

Like this is news? Hasn't he always rubbed everybody the wrong way? Where have you been the last 27 years? I still can't get the memory out of my mind of that guy's (Harbaugh) sorry mug getting chewed out by Ditka.

When you look up the definition of the saying: "smooth as a burlap bag", it immediately takes you to: See Jim Harbaugh.

;)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Harbaugh is such an impetuous a$$. He rubs everyone the wrong way. He has been uber successful in S.F. and their upper management still can't stand him.

I would have to agree from what I see by his sideline antics that mirror those of a kindergarten kid throwing a temper tantrum. Successful coach that I'd love to have, but I'd prefer Carrol's style (apparently so do the players that played for Harbaugh at college).

Definitely the offseason in the country's most popular sport. I think this kind of stuff goes on all the time between teams and coaches, but rarely goes beyond the "talk" stage. Sounds like this was the usual chatter, but because of the name involved, someone took it and ran with it. I try to look at it from both sides: The Browns would be instantly seen as one of the more savvy teams in the league, and Harbaugh would be a lot richer. I don't get the impression that Harbaugh wants to spend the next 20 years coaching anyway. A big money deal like this would have pretty much set him up for retirement.

It's been said before, but there is no real loyalty in the NFL......not with the amount of money involved.

I guess that explains the firings of Lombardi and Banner after the coach search

Sometimes when things don't make any sense there is something we don't know

I thought that was because of Schiano.

Anyway, this story seems a bit bogus. Why would they part with Harbaugh?

But at least Cleveland got their guy, amiritie?

I thought that was because of Schiano.

Anyway, this story seems a bit bogus. Why would they part with Harbaugh?

But at least Cleveland got their guy, amiritie

Apparently there is a rift between Harbaugh and the GM. No they didn't get "their guy." They got Pettine. Hopefully he works out.

This is a crazy story and I maintain that Pettine is going to regret taking that job.

He could have improved the Bills' D enough to get an elite position in 2015 with a team that had a playoff letdown -- Cowboys? Giants? -- if he'd stayed here.

Picking up the last dented can on the shelf just because it's there doesn't mean you get a good meal out of it.

maybe he would've had a shot at the niners job even!

and then cleveland still wouldn't have had a QB

I'd normally post similar but given what he accomplished in San Fran with both a widely considered bust and now a second round project I don't know that I'd bet against his teams. Put it this way, which would you place money on:

Pettine, k shanahan and manziel

Or

Harbaugh, with Hoyer or the #30something pick

Dropping harbaugh into that franchise would be fascinating to watch. It'd certainly be boom or bust in a spectacular fashion.

Apparently there is a rift between Harbaugh and the GM. No they didn't get "their guy." They got Pettine. Hopefully he works out.

I loved watching Pettine's D here in Buffalo but I wish him nothing more than three .500 seasons in Cleveland. If there is one thing being a Bills fan for the last 14 years has taught us it is that somebody has to finish last. The AFC is in a down cycle right now, the Bills need as many bad teams in the AFC as possible to hope to earn a playoff spot....legitimize Marrone's message....and get out of the cycle of losing.

Retweeted by Rob Oller

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 39m

Owner Jimmy Haslam confirms that Cleveland Browns tried to trade with San Francisco 49ers for coach Jim Harbaugh http://dlvr.it/50XPdS

Rob Oller@rollerCD 30m

From @MaryKayCabot story (via @ProFootballTalk), Harbaugh was considering joining Browns, but his wife didn't want to move to Cleveland.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Retweeted by Rob Oller

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 39m

Owner Jimmy Haslam confirms that Cleveland Browns tried to trade with San Francisco 49ers for coach Jim Harbaugh http://dlvr.it/50XPdS

Rob Oller@rollerCD 30m

From @MaryKayCabot story (via @ProFootballTalk), Harbaugh was considering joining Browns, but his wife didn't want to move to Cleveland.

I would take Cleveland over San Francisco.

San Francisco has a lot of guys on bicycles for fitness. Cleveland because of DUI's.