Stevie Johnson should be dealt addition by subtraction

Do you honestly believe that another NFL team is going to trade for Stevie Johnson and his almost 9 million dollar a year contract?

ok. This is where I'm completely confused. Can someone just post his real actual cap hit every year because in this thread alone we've seen his salary range from 7 million to almost 9 million. And it's only a few pages.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok. This is where I'm completely confused. Can someone just post his real actual cap hit every year because in this thread alone we've seen his salary range from 7 million to almost 9 million. And it's only a few pages.

His average salary for the life of the deal is 7.25m (5 years, 36.25m)

Once you amortize the signing bonus dollars, and the naturally upward direction of salaries he will have cap hits in the mid/upper 8s from here out. This year he will take home 6.8m and his cap hit will have 1.7m tacked on from his signing bonus making the hit 8.5 and actual pay 6.8.

Edited by NoSaint

Once you amortize the signing bonus dollars, and the naturally upward direction of salaries he will have cap hits in the mid/upper 8s from here out. This year he will take home 6.8m and his cap hit will have 1.7m tacked on from his signing bonus making the hit 8.5 and actual pay 6.8.

thank you for this.

And I don't see how anyone can be upset with his pay. He's making about what's commensurate with his abilities. Sure he's above a few guys on this list, he's also below a few he shouldn't be. After factoring in 1 year deals (like Anquan Boldin) and rookie deals (like Julio Jones) he's probably right around where he should be.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=WR

thank you for this.

And I don't see how anyone can be upset with his pay. He's making about what's commensurate with his abilities. Sure he's above a few guys on this list, he's also below a few he shouldn't be. After factoring in 1 year deals (like Anquan Boldin) and rookie deals (like Julio Jones) he's probably right around where he should be.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=WR

The cap shooting up as fast as it has the last decade has given some fans a hard time wrapping their heads around good players being paid market value being on par with elite pay in 2005. Vet starting receivers get paid well even when not game changers.

The cap shooting up as fast as it has the last decade has given some fans a hard time wrapping their heads around good players being paid market value being on par with elite pay in 2005. Vet starting receivers get paid well even when not game changers.

yup

A-freakin-men. The top WRs are now getting 12 million per year. The WR franchise tag number is north of 11 million. Stevie making 8 million seems right in line with abilities as a top 20 WR.

Agreed His salary is a non issue. The question on him is, can he get better? Will he be more productive with improvement at QB and will his durability return or are we seeing a decline?

Biggest question for me is, will he build chemistry with EJ? Didn't see it last year... I felt I saw numerous times they just didn't seem to be on the same page and Woods as a rookie had similar production and at times appeared to be more in synch with the rook signal caller.

Biggest question for me is, will he build chemistry with EJ? Didn't see it last year... I felt I saw numerous times they just didn't seem to be on the same page and Woods as a rookie had similar production and at times appeared to be more in synch with the rook signal caller.

Excellent observation. SJ and Fitz were second teamers together before they became starters and developed quite a chemistry. EJ was a rookie who lost time due to several injuries. They had little time to get used to each other.

Excellent observation. SJ and Fitz were second teamers together before they became starters and developed quite a chemistry. EJ was a rookie who lost time due to several injuries. They had little time to get used to each other.

Stevie missed the section of camp with ej healthy and some regular season time too.

Yes, Stevie Johnson had a down season for him. But how would you like to be the Bill's targeted receiver playing catch with last year's turnstile of 'not ready for prime time' QB's?

While Stevie may not be a true #1 receiver (hope the FO will stop drafting TJ Graham, et al), he IS more than capable of being part of a successful team. This board is quick to get RID of talented, outspoken players (Marshawn, Donte, etc.). A likely 4th round draft pick for SJ doesn't advance the playoff cause.

This explains a LOT of issues on offense this season. Injuries by both QBs and WRS had no hope of developing continuity .

Again , i say. This is the most important year for this offense. Past season had just too many injury issues to develop a team.

Lets hope these guys realize they should all be spending as much time together as soon as they are able.

This applies to Stevie too

Stevie missed the section of camp with ej healthy and some regular season time too.

someone should make a chart about how many times the line up changed from training camp forward. Just a mess really.

Doesn't the cash to the cap philosophy put the entire signing bonus in year one for cap purposes? I thought that wa the benefit and idea behind it so that money wouldn't be tied updated in the contract. Mind you I have no idea if I'm correct it's just what my understanding of the philosophy was.

Doesn't the cash to the cap philosophy put the entire signing bonus in year one for cap purposes? I thought that wa the benefit and idea behind it so that money wouldn't be tied updated in the contract. Mind you I have no idea if I'm correct it's just what my understanding of the philosophy was.

Nope. All signing bonuses are amortized by nfl policy. We'd have to give him a roster bonus payable essentially immediately in order to actually accomplish that.