who thinks we will go OT in the 1st round

The best thing that could happen is for the bills to trade out of the 9 spot. The problem is, who would they trade with. Cleveland could look to trade up that second 1st round pick they have. SanFran could also be a partner if they value a WR that highly.

I could also see Arizona, Greenbay and Baltimore looking to trade up.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing that could happen is for the bills to trade out of the 9 spot. The problem is, who would they trade with. Cleveland could look to trade up that second 1st round pick they have. SanFran could also be a partner if they value a WR that highly.

I could also see Arizona, Greenbay and Baltimore looking to trade up.

This is definitely the draft that trading down makes sense, it is very deep into 3rd round. The problem is that every team knows that. I do think SF (with multiple picks, and being 1 or 2 players away) and Dallas (they always like to move up) are two options as partners

If Matthews or Robinson fall to 9 i do think the bills will pick a RT and I certainly think it's the right move.

Pears was subpar and either of these guys would be instant upgrades. That would have an impact on all players on offense, opening holes in the run game and allowing more deep balls to be thrown (ie the offense marrone/Hackett want to run).

This would also give insurance for a Glenn injury as well as leverage in negotiation of a longterm deal (which should start now by the way - there a lot of guys the bills should be trying to lock up now, but that's another story).

The bills are clearly not going to spend big on guards, in free agency or the draft. I don't agree with this strategy but if they are going to employ it they need to throw more at the RT spot after investing a high pick at LT and big money at C.

If the Matthews, Robinson, and Watkins are off the board i hope they move back and try to land Benjamin and one of the other tackles with the extra pick.

To the OP. No, I don't think the Bills will be lucky enough, or smart enough to get an elite OT in the first round at #9, In either Matthews / Robinson. So, All I can do is hope that the Bills get lucky in the second round and find another Cordy Glenn for the right side.

I'm not the only person on the planet that thinks the RT position is a huge need: Football Outsiders thinks the Bills biggest need is OT. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2014/four-downs-afc-east

Run blocking was not a strength of the offensive line, especially to the outside, and right tackle Erik Pears in particular could be the player replaced in the draft by a top prospect like Greg Robinson (Auburn) or Jake Matthews ""

According to them the Bills were #16 in run blocking, and 28th in pass blocking. Which really sucks if a team is trying to develop rookie QB's

The reason I want to see an elite OT drafted early is because there tend to be a great falling off of players actually becoming great in that position after the 10th pick. Also, most defenses will put their best pass rusher on the opposing teams weakest OT.

Another reason is the Bills have a very young QB corps, and I for one would like to give them the very best chance to develop behind a top line.

Some draft analysts state that there are 7 OT's in the top 50 prospects, and so with that said there should a decent OT in round #2. Another position of great need is at offensive guard.IMO The Bills can perhaps get by with RG Urbik as his play might improve with a better tackle next to him. But that LG situation needs a serious upgrade, and hopefully in the 2nd or 3rd round.

My dream draft my be something like (TE Eric Ebron at #9), (OT Zack Martin or OG Cyril Richardson at #41) depending on who is there at #9 of course.

If Matthews or Robinson fall to 9 i do think the bills will pick a RT and I certainly think it's the right move.

Pears was subpar and either of these guys would be instant upgrades. That would have an impact on all players on offense, opening holes in the run game and allowing more deep balls to be thrown (ie the offense marrone/Hackett want to run).

This would also give insurance for a Glenn injury as well as leverage in negotiation of a longterm deal (which should start now by the way - there a lot of guys the bills should be trying to lock up now, but that's another story).

The bills are clearly not going to spend big on guards, in free agency or the draft. I don't agree with this strategy but if they are going to employ it they need to throw more at the RT spot after investing a high pick at LT and big money at C.

If the Matthews, Robinson, and Watkins are off the board i hope they move back and try to land Benjamin and one of the other tackles with the extra pick.

Man I like the way you think :thumbsup:

I don't like taking OTs that high.

Why not? With our history of high draft picks, we should pick to needs such as solid offensive linemen, and not worry about how big a neme he is. We've picked disasterous quarterbacks and a certain linebacker with recent number ones. How did that work out?

Why not? With our history of high draft picks, we should pick to needs such as solid offensive linemen, and not worry about how big a neme he is. We've picked disasterous quarterbacks and a certain linebacker with recent number ones. How did that work out?

Excuse me, he was supposedly a defensive end when we drafted him.

I'd prefer Watkins or Mack, but if they're off the board at 9 and Robinson or Matthews is there, I'd be all for it. I'm also of the mindset that #9 is too high for a RT, but if they are elite players and can get our running game going, lets do it. I'd rather have Robinson or Matthews than Ebron or Barr.

I agree completely with this. There are certain players that I wouldn't mind taking at 9 and Matthews and Robinson are certainly 2 of them.

This is definitely the draft that trading down makes sense, it is very deep into 3rd round. The problem is that every team knows that. I do think SF (with multiple picks, and being 1 or 2 players away) and Dallas (they always like to move up) are two options as partners

Yes I would love a trade down with Dallas! 17 isn't too far down to still get great talent and it would net us their 1st and 2nd. Which would give us 17, 41 , and 47.

At 9 I would be happy with:

Robinson, Matthews, Mack, Watkins, Clowney (pipe dream)

In a trade down I would be happy with:

Ebron, Mosley, Maybe Lee, Benjamin, or Lewan

Guys I want to stay away from in this draft:

Evans and Barr - both are my candidates for high draft picks that will be busts this year.

I like OT at nine. Lots of people are saying you don't pick a RT in the top 10. When is it ok? 11? 15? Not until the second round? There are two premier tackles in this draft and if either falls to #9 my opinion is grab them and run. Pun intended. Start them at RT and later let the best player play LT. Whoever feels Pears is servicable at RT is just not watching the game. Our LT was servicable in run blocking and very good against the rush. LG was a huge problem. Center was at times less than stellar (too many penalties) but a couple notches above servicable. RG was servicable. O-line is a big part of the O-problem. They are frequently overmatched by bigger stronger DLs and get mauled (must be ugly in practice). They do ok against average mid-sized D lines. Attacking Ds give them fits. Spiller/Jackson hit in the backfield (again). At least Jackson turns the loss into a minimal gain. QB has little time to throw and receivers have little time to get open. I guess a big factor is understanding our strategy around free agency. If we pick up a couple good OL in FA then I pick LB and then WR. But they need to be very good FAs and not lazy soft slow slobs. The best OL are athletes. Quick strong and huge. Understand leverage, can get low and deliver the blow (hit). O-lines win championships along with tough Ds. They go together and become an attitude. IMHO.

Any members of the Buffalo media reading this thread? We need some news on Chris Hairston. He missed a year with an "undisclosed" leg injury, which sounds odd. Is this guy rehabbing with plans to be in camp this year? Is he done?

I periodically do a search to see if there is any news, but not a peep.

Edited by chris heff

If we draft OL at 9, we better be getting an absolutely great prospect.

The only OL in the top picks last year that made a difference was Fluker- he was an animal. I see only two OL at his level: Robinson and Matthews.

I could be content with either of those two. If I had a choice, I would select Khalil Mack- I think he is a complete LB and one of the better ones to come out in some time and would immediately improve our run defense. Because OL is so deep, I would take multiple picks later in the draft, hoping for a starter-like talent like Glenn to fall and then to pick up solid depth.

FA will paint a better picture as to what we shall do in the draft, as will information regarding Hairston. Honestly if the Bills are in good shape cap-wise it might actually make sense to keep Pears around for his last year as a backup. We got lucky this year that injuries didn't decimate our OL, but we might not get so lucky next year. If the Bills get rid of Pears, they will need to be even more proactive in attaining players who can step up to the plate. We shall see.

If we draft OL at 9, we better be getting an absolutely great prospect.

The only OL in the top picks last year that made a difference was Fluker- he was an animal. I see only two OL at his level: Robinson and Matthews.

I could be content with either of those two. If I had a choice, I would select Khalil Mack- I think he is a complete LB and one of the better ones to come out in some time and would immediately improve our run defense. Because OL is so deep, I would take multiple picks later in the draft, hoping for a starter-like talent like Glenn to fall and then to pick up solid depth.

FA will paint a better picture as to what we shall do in the draft, as will information regarding Hairston. Honestly if the Bills are in good shape cap-wise it might actually make sense to keep Pears around for his last year as a backup. We got lucky this year that injuries didn't decimate our OL, but we might not get so lucky next year. If the Bills get rid of Pears, they will need to be even more proactive in attaining players who can step up to the plate. We shall see.

You would hope that a top ten pick would be of pro bowl quality, and as good as Fluker. Think what an improvement to the offense a player like that could make, and the impact of a top player at his position.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2014/four-downs-afc-east

This franchise has been picking at or near the top ten of the draft for over a decade and the results have been far from stellar.

The main reason for a new, renewed hope is young GM Doug Whaley who seemed to hit several home runs in not only last years draft class. Plus, he did excellent in a trade to with the Colts to acquire Jerry Hughes, free agent acquisitions Manny Lawson & Alan Branch.

Now if he can find five new starters this off season, and some decent depth this team should be ready for a playoff run. LG-RT-WR-TE-LBer

I read a that Chris Hairston states he is getting better, so who knows what his current situation is. Personally, If healthy, I'd rather see him as the backup RT

I don't get why all of you are like "RTs aren't difference makers" or "we should get an elite player, and RTs aren't elite" and all that. If one of the best players in the draft happens to be a tackle, and for now you can plug him in at RT because you have an even better tackle already at LT, then you have the foundation of an absolute kick@$$ dominant line. If that tackle becomes better Cordy, or Cordy gets hurt, he could then slide over to LT, and there's no drop off at the position. So argueing that we shouldn't draft one of the best players in the draft simply because we already have a very good LT in Cordy Glenn makes absolutely no sense to me.

All that being said, I believe that if Sammy Watkins is still on the board when we draft, he should definitely be the pick. If not, then one of the two top tackles. I believe that 3-4 QBs will go before we draft, as well as Clowney, so if all of those are off the board, you go with either Barr or Mack. That's my opinion.

There is probably an expectation of thos OT's to play RT in their 1st year and then move to LT in their second?

We dont have that situation. Our LT spot is solidified I honestly dont know if I go OG that high.

Not in the case of Fluker, who is a pure RT and he looks like he will be a literally great one.

The Bills were lucky last year in terms of injuries to OTs. Other than Glenn, there isn't all that much talent and even less depth. Also, if EJ proved anything last season it's that he needs all the help he can get. And if he does turn out to be a bust (a strong possibility), it would be great to have a talented OL in place for the next quarterback.

Edited by Bill from NYC