The inconsistency of ref's in big games ruins the experience.

FireChan

Seattle held the Denver WRs over and over again and nothing was called. Because nothing was called they kept doing it. It's smart. I counted at least half a dozen blatant holds that weren't called. I'm not talking about ticky-tack stuff, I'm talking two hands, handful of jersey, shoving the guy 8 yards off the line holds. Would it have mattered? Who knows but it was interesting to see that stuff let go.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a large portion of it has to do with some of the rules being subjective. Like PI. I remember a tackle on Manning a good 2 seconds after the ball cleared that wasnt called. The point the OP is making is not that the Broncos would have/should have/could have but were denied by the refs or anything, the point is that some teams are allowed to get away with PI, holding or roughing calls when in other games teams ae blown out of the water for them. And I think the OP is right. Refs should call consistently but the aren't. I liked the way the game was called, no discussion there, however as the OP said it wasn't on par with how other games have been called this year.

Agreed. This has been the Seahawks strategy all season. Cheat enough, and it will start to look normal.

http://online.wsj.co...310500005285822

Edit: I also think Denver has found interesting ways "around" the rules (e.g. setting picks through routes) and I don't think a tighter called game last night would have made a difference, but it might have made it a bit closer. I also was not invested in who won.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Because the game wasn't called the same way regular season games and other playoff games were called. Whether that means the Broncos wouldn't be the number one offense under these rules, or should be but were jobbed by the officiating changes in the Superbowl is irrelevant. Clearly, I'm not the only one who says some calls that have been made in other playoff and regular season were not made tonight.

I only stated it from Denver's side because I thought that saying Seattle "got away" with calls would make it seem like I believed in the refs favoring Seattle. Which I don't. In a vacuum, it was a great officiated game, but based on other games it was inconsistent at best.

Exactly. Breathing on another player's helmet, even if the player moved his helmet into the defender's is a call we've seen over and over in every game. But not this one.

Should have? Based on other calls made this year? I bet I could find double that.

I guess you don't visit this site on game days during th football season. It is littered with posters moaning about missed holding call, bogus holding calls, missed PI, bogus PI calls. You are simply bringing more of the same. So, really, there was no "new set of rules"--all business as usual, unfortunately for the team you favored. They got their dicks handed to them, fair and square.

Agreed. This has been the Seahawks strategy all season. Cheat enough, and it will start to look normal.

Edit: I also think Denver has found interesting ways "around" the rules (e.g. setting picks through routes) and I don't think a tighter called game last night would have made a difference, but it might have made it a bit closer. I also was not invested in who won.

Here's a few more WSJ articles you might also want to read:

The NFL's Pass Interference Problem

The Denver Loophole: Pass Interference Is Surging—Except Against the Offense

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303755504579208284227437584

and

The Super Bowl of Cheating

Seahawks and Broncos Use Controversial Techniques on Pass Plays; Where's the Flag?

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303743604579350864192256256

I saw a handful of helmet to helmet hits that weren't called, and was surprised.

Seattle held the Denver WRs over and over again and nothing was called. Because nothing was called they kept doing it. It's smart. I counted at least half a dozen blatant holds that weren't called. I'm not talking about ticky-tack stuff, I'm talking two hands, handful of jersey, shoving the guy 8 yards off the line holds. Would it have mattered? Who knows but it was interesting to see that stuff let go.

The above two posts are 100% spot on.

I guess you don't visit this site on game days during th football season. It is littered with posters moaning about missed holding call, bogus holding calls, missed PI, bogus PI calls. You are simply bringing more of the same. So, really, there was no "new set of rules"--all business as usual, unfortunately for the team you favored. They got their dicks handed to them, fair and square.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303755504579208284227437584

and

Seahawks and Broncos Use Controversial Techniques on Pass Plays; Where's the Flag?

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303743604579350864192256256

Why do you like to argue so much? I don't get it. You can obviously see his point, I know you're not dumb. In fact I agree with things you've said in the past. I just don't understand why the constant need to fight.

Referee inconsistency is downright idiotic. Half of the hits in the Superbowl would have been called unnecessary roughness week 10 of the regular season. Why do the refs do this and why do fans seem to like it? We crown Denver with the best offense in the league, then make them play the Superbowl under a different set of rules? Might as well have made them play soccer and wonder why they didn't score 10 goals against Man U.

I understand that people say they don't want calls to decide games. And I agree. So, 4th quarter or so, the refs should let them play. But this was such an insane difference from regular season football I couldn't even believe it. Even worse, an insane difference from the 49ers and Panthers game a few weeks back in the playoffs. They called about 10 penalties in the first quarter, mostly unnecessary roughness. Some of the calls were identical to non-calls in the Superbowl.

DISCLAIMER:

I am not condoning pass- and offense-happy rules. I'm just saying the rules should be the same in the regular and postseason or else what is the point?

I think the game was adequately officiated. Denver's WR corps are beasts. Denver got beaten so decisively because Manning can't get the ball over the top of the Seattle defense with his weak arm and they knew it and choked off all the short routes.

It is amazing to me to watch a Seattle team with a roster full of non prospects that have suddenly gotten ridiculously quicker, faster, stronger and improved their hand eye coordination. It's uncanny. It's no secret that they have been busted for PED's a number of times but if I had to bet my life on it one way or another I would bet that there are some seriously high end chemicals going around that locker room. Significantly stronger than an aderall kick. I watched many of these guys in college and they were non-prospects because they were often overmatched even at the college level. Seeing Jermaine Kearse play like he does in the pros leaves me with that same feeling of astonishment as when former Baltimore Oriole Brady Anderson went from a slap hitter to hitting 50 HR the next season. I saw that guy a lot and he just appears to be a different athlete altogether. Maybe it is just a miracle that a dozen or so scrubs have morphed into dominant players in the NFL but I kinda' doubut it. But the lesson is that it ain't a crime if you don't get caught.......and in the NFL if you get caught after the fact they do not take away your accomplishments. The Bills aren't even in the picture as a contender so I really don't care who is winning the SB but if anyone out there doesn't think it is a bit odd how a cast of castoffs like the Seattle D has turned into maybe the most relatively dominant defense in the past 40 years then.......well I'm not surprised. For most of the PED era in baseball the majority of fans just thought that players were getting naturally bigger and stronger from improved training and genetics or that the ball was juiced.

I think the game was adequately officiated. Denver's WR corps are beasts. Denver got beaten so decisively because Manning can't get the ball over the top of the Seattle defense with his weak arm and they knew it and choked off all the short routes.

It is amazing to me to watch a Seattle team with a roster full of non prospects that have suddenly gotten ridiculously quicker, faster, stronger and improved their hand eye coordination. It's uncanny. It's no secret that they have been busted for PED's a number of times but if I had to bet my life on it one way or another I would bet that there are some seriously high end chemicals going around that locker room. Significantly stronger than an aderall kick. I watched many of these guys in college and they were non-prospects because they were often overmatched even at the college level. Seeing Jermaine Kearse play like he does in the pros leaves me with that same feeling of astonishment as when former Baltimore Oriole Brady Anderson went from a slap hitter to hitting 50 HR the next season. I saw that guy a lot and he just appears to be a different athlete altogether. Maybe it is just a miracle that a dozen or so scrubs have morphed into dominant players in the NFL but I kinda' doubut it. But the lesson is that it ain't a crime if you don't get caught.......and in the NFL if you get caught after the fact they do not take away your accomplishments. The Bills aren't even in the picture as a contender so I really don't care who is winning the SB but if anyone out there doesn't think it is a bit odd how a cast of castoffs like the Seattle D has turned into maybe the most relatively dominant defense in the past 40 years then.......well I'm not surprised. For most of the PED era in baseball the majority of fans just thought that players were getting naturally bigger and stronger from improved training and genetics or that the ball was juiced.

The real question is, can we give some of those chemicals to the Bills?

Unbelievable topic. I bet you won't find 3 plays that should have drawn a flag. This was physical domination. The refs called a great, consistent game and were what they should be: a non-factor.

The only thing unbelievable about certain topics is how often folks say that "this topic is unbelievable" as they reply to it, thus making the topic relevant.

There is something to this topic. Fans often see one set of rules in the regular season of a sport that seem to be thrown out in playoffs or championship matches. This is true of hockey, and often true for football.

I think the lesson Bills football and hockey teams have had to learn the hard way is you build and coach your team for how the games are played in the post season. Personally, my preference is to let them play fast and hard all year. Nothing worse in my mind than a game turning into a zebra show, but if the application or non-application of the rules are not consistent it erodes the integrity of a sport.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

http://online.wsj.co...208284227437584

and

http://online.wsj.co...350864192256256

So you missed the part above (in bold now) or just felt like arguing? Now I feel like arguing.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Why would I whine? It wasn't the Bills playing. And I won't be able to post examples until some of the major plays are on YouTube. I was just putting this out there and seeing if anyone had come to the same conclusion.

I remember one helmet to helmet hit, unfortunately it involved 2 teammates.

As another poster stated the game you saw is what you see when the guys wearing numbers in the 50's look like guys that should be linebackers. You are jaded and misguided because the Bills have lined up guys like Coy Wire, Poz, and Kiko for a decade to play LB. We are outgunned before the first snap. Our NT is 50 pounds smaller than needed. Our MLB is 20 pounds too small. Our SS is 20 pounds too small. Our WR's are three inches too short and a step too slow. What we saw tonight is what true talent looks like. Big, fast, and having lots of fun.

Still waiting for a response to the PM I sent you.

The only thing unbelievable about certain topics is how often folks say that "this topic is unbelievable" as they reply to it, thus making the topic relevant.

There is something to this topic. Fans often see one set of rules in the regular season of a sport that seem to be thrown out in playoffs or championship matches. This is true of hockey, and often true for football.

I think the lesson Bills football and hockey teams have had to learn the hard way is you build and coach your team for how the games are played in the post season. Personally, my preference is to let them play fast and hard all year. Nothing worse in my mind than a game turning into a zebra show, but if the application or non-application of the rules are not consistent it erodes the integrity of a sport.

Thank you for more eloquently stating the point I was making.

I have to say I thought i saw a lot of PI on Seattle's D that looked like it should have been called, but it wasn't much different from there play all season. My question about the officiating is this. On the Safety wasn't Denver called for a false start? Wouldnt that play b considered dead as soon as the ball was snapped. Should the safety counted?????

but if anyone out there doesn't think it is a bit odd how a cast of castoffs like the Seattle D has turned into maybe the most relatively dominant defense in the past 40 years then.......well I'm not surprised. For most of the PED era in baseball the majority of fans just thought that players were getting naturally bigger and stronger from improved training and genetics or that the ball was juiced.

Another thing I find odd about the Seahawks is that the players are super geeked up the whole game. Sure teams come out in big games and are fired up and chest thumping and chest bumping and pushing and shoving after the whistle. But once the game gets going they settle down. Not the Seahawks. Their intensity and geeked uppedness doesn't wane and even in fact gets stronger in the 2nd half. I've never seen another team that could maintain this for the whole game.

Maybe Pete Carrol is such a great motivator he can get his guys this fired up. But, given their history of adderol and steroid suspensions, it makes me wonder if it's all Pete Carrol mojo or maybe a little something else (pharmaceuticals) added in?

And it's only cheating if you get caught IS Pete's philosophy. As wells if you get caught, get out of Dodge before the hammer falls.

Edited by reddogblitz