The inconsistency of ref's in big games ruins the experience.

FireChan

The only thing unbelievable about certain topics is how often folks say that "this topic is unbelievable" as they reply to it, thus making the topic relevant.

There is something to this topic. Fans often see one set of rules in the regular season of a sport that seem to be thrown out in playoffs or championship matches. This is true of hockey, and often true for football.

I think the lesson Bills football and hockey teams have had to learn the hard way is you build and coach your team for how the games are played in the post season. Personally, my preference is to let them play fast and hard all year. Nothing worse in my mind than a game turning into a zebra show, but if the application or non-application of the rules are not consistent it erodes the integrity of a sport.

Just to be clear....you are saying the Seahawks got away with stuff that was called all year? Have you watched many Seahawk games this season? I've watched them all.

That game was called like every Seahawk game all year.

Edited by Bronc24

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing I find odd about the Seahawks is that the players are super geeked up the whole game. Sure teams come out in big games and are fired up and chest thumping and chest bumping and pushing and shoving after the whistle. But once the game gets going they settle down. Not the Seahawks. Their intensity and geeked uppedness doesn't wane and even in fact gets stronger in the 2nd half. I've never seen another team that could maintain this for the whole game.

Maybe Pete Carrol is such a great motivator he can get his guys this fired up. But, given their history of adderol and steroid suspensions, it makes me wonder if it's all Pete Carrol mojo or maybe a little something else (pharmaceuticals) added in?

And it's only cheating if you get caught IS Pete's philosophy. As wells if you get caught, get out of Dodge before the hammer falls.

Yeah they just don't ever seem to tire. They never go into conserve mode with regard to energy and the safeties are able to adjust to plays in front of them at an unnaturally rapid pace.

I can remember being just as impressed by the Patriots defenses of the early 2000's and their incredible awareness of what was going on and their ability to literally plug in just about anyone and continue to get dominant results.

Well, it turned out that their incredible awareness was in great part due to the fact that they knew what play the opponent was running courtesy of video taped signals.

Whatever the Seahawks are on I wonder if they even knew how big of a difference it could make. I think in retrospect they might find that they over did it and they will get caught. There is something blatantly unnatural about their performance.

Yeah they just don't ever seem to tire. They never go into conserve mode with regard to energy and the safeties are able to adjust to plays in front of them at an unnaturally rapid pace.

I can remember being just as impressed by the Patriots defenses of the early 2000's and their incredible awareness of what was going on and their ability to literally plug in just about anyone and continue to get dominant results.

Well, it turned out that their incredible awareness was in great part due to the fact that they knew what play the opponent was running courtesy of video taped signals.

Whatever the Seahawks are on I wonder if they even knew how big of a difference it could make. I think in retrospect they might find that they over did it and they will get caught. There is something blatantly unnatural about their performance.

So every time a team puts forth a dominant performance, it's cheating? C'mon, man.

So every time a team puts forth a dominant performance, it's cheating? C'mon, man.

Hardly. There are just some pretty obvious signs with the Seahawks and there has already been fire where that smoke came from. Sherman and Browner(their other dominant giant sized corner who emerged from exile in the CFL) have both tested positive for amphetamine use. Sherman claimed he accidentally ingested it drinking water out of a teammates water bottle.........I'm no pharmacist but I am guessing crushed up in a water bottle is not how adderall is prescribed. Wouldn't that be a convenient way to stay consistently jacked for about 3 hours? That extra energy is huge but I think there is probably even more to the story.

Hardly. There are just some pretty obvious signs with the Seahawks and there has already been fire where that smoke came from. Sherman and Browner(their other dominant giant sized corner who emerged from exile in the CFL) have both tested positive for amphetamine use. Sherman claimed he accidentally ingested it drinking water out of a teammates water bottle.........I'm no pharmacist but I am guessing crushed up in a water bottle is not how adderall is prescribed. Wouldn't that be a convenient way to stay consistently jacked for about 3 hours? That extra energy is huge but I think there is probably even more to the story.

Have you played the game?

I don't think I'd have any difficulty staying jacked up as I am dominating my opponent on the way to a Superbowl win. Saying this is unnatural is a ridiculous statement.

Have you played the game?

I don't think I'd have any difficulty staying jacked up as I am dominating my opponent on the way to a Superbowl win. Saying this is unnatural is a ridiculous statement.

I've seen the Seahawks play 6-7 times this season and they are ALWAYS jacked. This isn't news you know......they are the face of PED's in the NFL.

Unlike MLB, the NFL downlays PED use. Amphetamine use is nothing new in sports, it far predates steroids and may have contributed to some serious numbers of mid 20th century MLB'ers.

Like I said, with the Seahawks I think it is adderall and then some. When Barry Bonds was rubbing down with "the cream" and "the clear" there were nutritionists backing player claims that they could put on 30 pounds of muscle in a couple months using legal substances.

I believe the "Hawks have access to a hard to detect cocktail that is giving them an edge.

No I haven't played in the NFL. I have had a limited exposure to PED's like androstenoine so i have seen unnatural results from professionally banned substances first hand. Like 20 pounds of muscle in 3 weeks, zero recovery time, no pain etc..

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

I've seen the Seahawks play 6-7 times this season and they are ALWAYS jacked. This isn't news you know......they are the face of PED's in the NFL.

Unlike MLB, the NFL downlays PED use. Amphetamine use is nothing new in sports, it far predates steroids and may have contributed to some serious numbers of mid 20th century MLB'ers.

Like I said, with the Seahawks I think it is adderall and then some. When Barry Bonds was rubbing down with "the cream" and "the clear" there were nutritionists backing player claims that they could put on 30 pounds of muscle in a couple months using legal substances.

I believe the "Hawks have access to a hard to detect cocktail that is giving them an edge.

No I haven't played in the NFL. I have had a limited exposure to PED's like androstenoine so i have seen unnatural results from professionally banned substances first hand. Like 20 pounds of muscle in 3 weeks, zero recovery time, no pain etc..

I don't mean NFL. I mean football. I coach HS football...have for 20 years...and my players are jacked the entire game, as am I. Why does this have to be a drug thing?

Have you read about their practices? Have you seen their head coach? Do you have any understanding about how Carroll motivates these guys? He is as jacked as they are. Is he on drugs too?

Just to be clear....you are saying the Seahawks got away with stuff that was called all year? Have you watched many Seahawk games this season? I've watched them all.

That game was called like every Seahawk game all year.

It wasn't called like every Broncos game all year.

I don't mean NFL. I mean football. I coach HS football...have for 20 years...and my players are jacked the entire game, as am I. Why does this have to be a drug thing?

Have you read about their practices? Have you seen their head coach? Do you have any understanding about how Carroll motivates these guys? He is as jacked as they are. Is he on drugs too?

Recall if you will ,Carroll upon leaving the college ranks and all the issues/infractions/ sanctions against the team he left behind?

They won the game fair and square. But the drug use is rampant in professional sports and the NFL is slow to reign it in at best .

ps god bless you for coaching our youth and teaching kids good values.

Pop warner were some of the best formative years of my sons life. honestly. And Hey , i learned alot too .

Edited by 3rdand12

Recall if you will ,Carroll upon leaving the college ranks and all the issues/infractions/ sanctions against the team he left behind?

They won the game fair and square. But the drug use is rampant in professional sports and the NFL is slow to reign it in at best .

I'm not naive enough to say drug use doesn't exist, especially with the Seahawks. But to say they are jacked because they are on drugs is ridiculous. If the Niners made it and dominated in the same fashion...which is very possible....would we be having the same conversation?

ps god bless you for coaching our youth and teaching kids good values.

Pop warner were some of the best formative years of my sons life. honestly. And Hey , i learned alot too .

Thank you. Greatest part of my job by a landslide.

I'm not naive enough to say drug use doesn't exist, especially with the Seahawks. But to say they are jacked because they are on drugs is ridiculous. If the Niners made it and dominated in the same fashion...which is very possible....would we be having the same conversation?

Thank you. Greatest part of my job by a landslide.

:thumbsup: Thank you !!

So you missed the part above (in bold now) or just felt like arguing? Now I feel like arguing.

It's hardly just arguing. You call what the Seahawks do outright "cheating", but what the Broncos do "an 'interesting' way around the rules". They both are doing the same thing--as the second article I cited points out.

The distinction you make is not relevant except to display your bias for one team over the other--which doesn't make for a persuasive argument.

The pats were busted for taping defensive signals, not offensive.

Also, drugs like adderal are the PEDs NFL players chose to tell the public they were busted for when they don't want to admit it was HGH or testosterone or anabolics. It's more benign to the public and the NFL can't reveal the actual PED to the public, nor can they say the player is lying to the public.

Why do you like to argue so much? I don't get it. You can obviously see his point, I know you're not dumb. In fact I agree with things you've said in the past. I just don't understand why the constant need to fight.

I saw his point--and I called him on it. He labels the Seahawks cheaters and the Broncos clever rule benders--that's disingenuous. Why isn't it OK to point that out?

It's hardly just arguing. You call what the Seahawks do outright "cheating", but what the Broncos do "an 'interesting' way around the rules". They both are doing the same thing--as the second article I cited points out.

The distinction you make is not relevant except to display your bias for one team over the other--which doesn't make for a persuasive argument.

The pats were busted for taping defensive signals, not offensive.

Also, drugs like adderal are the PEDs NFL players chose to tell the public they were busted for when they don't want to admit it was HGH or testosterone or anabolics. It's more benign to the public and the NFL can't reveal the actual PED to the public, nor can they say the player is lying to the public.

I saw his point--and I called him on it. He labels the Seahawks cheaters and the Broncos clever rule benders--that's disingenuous. Why isn't it OK to point that out?

I think that last point was directed at me. As I'm sure you can see my point, but took great strides to "call out" whatever perceived bias that doesn't exist.

0 unnecessary roughness calls. 1 defensive PI.

I saw calls that have been called exactly in other games. Maybe they don't get called in Seattle. But when the 31 other teams play, those calls are made.

There was more than one PI call and there were zero clear shots to the head. Glancing blows, yes. Clear shots, no.

Referee inconsistency is downright idiotic. Half of the hits in the Superbowl would have been called unnecessary roughness week 10 of the regular season. Why do the refs do this and why do fans seem to like it? We crown Denver with the best offense in the league, then make them play the Superbowl under a different set of rules? Might as well have made them play soccer and wonder why they didn't score 10 goals against Man U.

I understand that people say they don't want calls to decide games. And I agree. So, 4th quarter or so, the refs should let them play. But this was such an insane difference from regular season football I couldn't even believe it. Even worse, an insane difference from the 49ers and Panthers game a few weeks back in the playoffs. They called about 10 penalties in the first quarter, mostly unnecessary roughness. Some of the calls were identical to non-calls in the Superbowl.

DISCLAIMER:

I am not condoning pass- and offense-happy rules. I'm just saying the rules should be the same in the regular and postseason or else what is the point?

I've been saying this for so long. The difference between how the game is called in regular season and in post season is night and day. Hockey can get this way too. In 2007 the refs had already gone back to pre lockout hockey which aided in the Sabres being handled by Ottawa.

This is why 'defense wins championships.' It's why the Giants took down the mighty Pats with the best offense ever in 2008. It's why Peyton's Colts looked like little leaguers every time they stepped into Foxboro. The main change is with PI/defensive holding. DB's are suddenly allowed to be way way more physical and mug the WR's. It's dumb, like the OP said, what's the point if you play the regular season one way and the playoffs another. The best solution is to be a balanced team, though.

Unbelievable topic. I bet you won't find 3 plays that should have drawn a flag. This was physical domination. The refs called a great, consistent game and were what they should be: a non-factor.

Of all the ridiculous topics posted on this board, you think THIS is an unbelievable one? Wow. But let's have five cut Stevie threads and five Da'Rick threads after every loss.

There was more than one PI call and there were zero clear shots to the head. Glancing blows, yes. Clear shots, no.

What about that hit that Saints' safety put on Percy Harvin in Seattle? Wasn't a clear shot, but it drew the flag.

I've been saying this for so long. The difference between how the game is called in regular season and in post season is night and day. Hockey can get this way too. In 2007 the refs had already gone back to pre lockout hockey which aided in the Sabres being handled by Ottawa.

This is why 'defense wins championships.' It's why the Giants took down the mighty Pats with the best offense ever in 2008. It's why Peyton's Colts looked like little leaguers every time they stepped into Foxboro. The main change is with PI/defensive holding. DB's are suddenly allowed to be way way more physical and mug the WR's. It's dumb, like the OP said, what's the point if you play the regular season one way and the playoffs another. The best solution is to be a balanced team, though.

Of all the ridiculous topics posted on this board, you think THIS is an unbelievable one? Wow. But let's have five cut Stevie threads and five Da'Rick threads after every loss.

Exactly. Would Denver be a historic offense if the games were played like that in the regular season? The Bills might not have scored an offensive touchdown until week 3 if teams were allowed to play like that all year.