Will We Become The Lions ?

T master

At first i was happy with the Schwartz hire remembering that his D in Detroit had a edge to it that i thought would be good for the Bills to inherit , we need all the edge we can get .

But after a couple of days & like all of you reading as much as i can find about Schwartz i am starting to wonder if we will indeed be the Lions in Bills blue ?

The last time he had any really dominant defense was in 2010 in Detroit (but that wasn't real great) then in Tenn. which at least we have the Tenn. thing to fall back on as far as hope. But as with Pettine bringing a number of his coaches along with him to Cleveland if Schwartz does the same thing & brings a few of his guys along to B/lo will it be a step forward or back ?

We already have seen what the hire of the Lions ST's coach has done for us in the rankings , dropping us from #8 to #31 or so. Then add in the hire of the QB coach of which we need !! I just hope that Whaley & company see more than i do as a fan .

I'm not saying that i don't like the hire because i do , just after reading some of the stuff that undoubtedly you all have read too the doubt's have started to creep in so i'm looking to you all as the Bills faithful to pull me out of the funk that has started to over take the joy that was ...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing Schwartz's D while he was the HC to ours now (with Schwartz back as DC) is apples to oranges in my opinion. Look at what he did as DC in Tennessee.

And no mention of Crossman?

his tennessee stats and scheme are not wildly different than his lions ones.

Edited by NoSaint

Lions have primarily failed b/c Stafford is a horrible QB and grossly overpaid. I'd rather have no QB with the prospect of obtaining one than to be tied up to that mess long-term.

From what I heard this AM on the radio Stafford has broken / holds a lot of offensive records. (If those records actually mean anything in the NFL itself).

He is the 4th quarterback in NFL history to throw over 5,000 yards in a single season, including one of three in the 2011 NFL season (Drew Brees and Tom Brady).

Lions records

Stafford 100th career touchdown pass moved him atop the Lions' all-time list for career passing yardage.

Most Passing Touchdowns in a Single Season: 41 (2011) * I'll take that ANY season

Most Passing Touchdowns in a Game: 5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Stafford#Lions_franchise_records

The sad part about this....that would be an improvement if in fact it was the case...I don't WANT to be "The Lions" but considering their relevance of the last few years, prime time games, Franchise QB, and at least one playoff appearance since Bill Clinton reinvigorated the use of cigars...it would be an uptick in demonstrative performance.

Not to be rude but what exactly are you asking/implying?

Well i guess seeing as we have hired 3 of the Lions past coaches & the over all of their effort didn't have a very good result , the question i guess is ?

Are we bound to stay (with these hirings) the Bills as we have known them or will these hires actually help our team out of the hole they have been in for the past 13 years .

I for one hope the later of the 2 & that these guys learned from their past & put us in a better place as a team but Crossman has shown NOTHING to this point !!!

I would bet, looking at the "talent" Schwartz has had elsewhere...this is the best defense he has ever coached.

(If he could do what he did with his defensive line, and no secondary...he will have just that much more to work with in Buffalo.)

Not to mention, his defenses have always been good at stopping the run, as well as getting off the field on 3rd down.

At first i was happy with the Schwartz hire remembering that his D in Detroit had a edge to it that i thought would be good for the Bills to inherit , we need all the edge we can get .

But after a couple of days & like all of you reading as much as i can find about Schwartz i am starting to wonder if we will indeed be the Lions in Bills blue ?

The last time he had any really dominant defense was in 2010 in Detroit (but that wasn't real great) then in Tenn. which at least we have the Tenn. thing to fall back on as far as hope. But as with Pettine bringing a number of his coaches along with him to Cleveland if Schwartz does the same thing & brings a few of his guys along to B/lo will it be a step forward or back ?

We already have seen what the hire of the Lions ST's coach has done for us in the rankings , dropping us from #8 to #31 or so. Then add in the hire of the QB coach of which we need !! I just hope that Whaley & company see more than i do as a fan .

I'm not saying that i don't like the hire because i do , just after reading some of the stuff that undoubtedly you all have read too the doubt's have started to creep in so i'm looking to you all as the Bills faithful to pull me out of the funk that has started to over take the joy that was ...

probably but without the franchise QB and big WR.

The sad part about this....that would be an improvement if in fact it was the case...I don't WANT to be "The Lions" but considering their relevance of the last few years, prime time games, Franchise QB, and at least one playoff appearance since Bill Clinton reinvigorated the use of cigars...it would be an uptick in demonstrative performance.

If it's any consolation, the Browns are aspiring to be the Bills.

They went from 0-16 in 2008 to the playoffs in Schwartz's 3rd year. We don't have nearly that far to go. So I hope we do become the Lions, in that way. I see a lot of similarities between the Lions and the Bills, and not in the snarky way. They hadn't been to the playoffs since 1999. Losing culture. Lots of top draft picks. Lousy economy. They found a QB and a coach and finally a way to utilize all their talent and made it back to the playoffs. Now they are looked at as a contender instead of always assumed to be coming in last. Schwartz was fired as HC for a reason - they didn't sustain what they attained in 2011. They were 6-3 and looking very strong to start the season and then couldn't finish. They had every chance to make the playoffs this year with the way things played out. Stafford came in as a rookie and had some similar injuries early in his career, worse than EJ, yet became their franchise QB. I know many say he isn't, but whenever you go into a draft and there isn't any question about whether you need to draft a QB high, you have one in the mix. Not everyone is in the top elite tier of Manning, Brady, Brees, Rogers - all going to the HOF. You need a strong enough QB to win games and take you into the playoffs. You don't need an elite HOF QB if you have enough other pieces. That is why those 4 guys have SBs - they are elite - but they don't win every year. Because teams rise up.

Yes

I totally get this. IMO though.... the Lions were better than the Bills this year in all phases.