Can we receive compensation from Browns for Pettine or possibly O'

Is their any precedent or hope that we will receive draft picks for losing Pettine to the Browns? Could we demand a draft pick to let O'Neil out of his contract?

I would imagine that these guys write some language into their contracts regarding promotions, and the option to exit the contract if these promotional opportunities present themselves.

Not sure though.

My understanding is that teams will not hold a coach back from a promotion with another team primarily because that would make them a less attractive option when looking to hire coaches in the future. The only time I've seen compensation exchanged for a coach was in the case where it was not a promotion but a lateral move.

Edited by Captain Caveman

I'm pretty sure we could demand a draft pick for Jim O'Neil, because he is still under contract in Buffalo.

I am not 100% positive on that though...and I don't think the Bills (Marrone) would have the "marbles" to do that to his buddy.

I don't think it has to do with marbles nearly as much as allowing coaches better opportunities and wouldn't want to be viewed as a location that stops coaches from getting better jobs.. If Cleveland wants one of out coaches as DC, would be shocked to see the Bill's stop particularly now that we nave a new DC hired. If Schwatz for some reason doesn't want O'neil makes it easier.

I also think if we did not allow someone to leave for a better position, likely we'd be gettign a cal lfrom Roger asking to explain.

I am not 100% positive on that though...and I don't think the Bills (Marrone) would have the "marbles" to do that to his buddy.

What goes around comes around. Do that to the Browns five years down the road their coaches may be coaching on six different teams, Bills are looking to talk with some coach and they make tell their management, screw them the way they screwed us.

That's why teams are running by professionals, not vindictive fans

I'm sure Schwartz can find a LB coach. I would just let the Browns wait a week to piss them off before giving them an answer.

Is their any precedent or hope that we will receive draft picks for losing Pettine to the Browns? Could we demand a draft pick to let O'Neil out of his contract?

I would imagine that these guys write some language into their contracts regarding promotions, and the option to exit the contract if these promotional opportunities present themselves.

Not sure though.

The NFL made it illegal to exchange draft picks and/or players for a coach. After the Grueden thing with Oakland and Tampa Bay they didn't want to see it happen again. There will be no compensation for any coach moving to another team.

The NFL made it illegal to exchange draft picks and/or players for a coach. After the Grueden thing with Oakland and Tampa Bay they didn't want to see it happen again. There will be no compensation for any coach moving to another team.

Herman Edwards was traded after Gruden.

I also think if we did not allow someone to leave for a better position, likely we'd be gettign a cal lfrom Roger asking to explain.

I don't think Goodell has any say in the matter.

http://www.prostarcoaching.net/library/NFL_Contact_Rules.pdf

Correct he doesn't have a legal say, but it appears it is a rule to allow coaches under contract to move on to HC positions, I always thought it was also allowed for position coaches to move on to coordinators positions without being able to stop them. From what I've read here this week ,teams can block that move. But I think if a team did block that, while Roger may not be able to prevent them, the team would likely be told that the NFL isn't pleased with their actions, and you really don't want to be in the NFL's doghouse not over something like that.

And as I also mentioned what goes around comes around so at some point the Bill's may be looking at another teams coach, as professional curiosities, teams don't appear to block these moves. With bringing in a new DC, I think the likelihood of the Bill's blocking any move goes down even more.

Huh? That makes no sense on any level.

Not sure though.

From what I've read here this week ,teams can block that move. But I think if a team did block that, while Roger may not be able to prevent them, the team would likely be told that the NFL isn't pleased with their actions, and you really don't want to be in the NFL's doghouse not over something like that.

And as I also mentioned what goes around comes around so at some point the Bill's may be looking at another teams coach, as professional curiosities, teams don't appear to block these moves. With bringing in a new DC, I think the likelihood of the Bill's blocking any move goes down even more.

I have seen nothing to indicate the first part of your post is true. This is something that has happened (rarely) in previous years, and it is every team's right. If Goodell even brought it up he would have to explain himself since it is expressly allowed according to the league's rules.

The second part of your post is part of the reason that coaches are usually allowed permission to interview for non-HC promotions, but mostly, it's because it reflects badly on the franchise when other coaches are deciding whether to come here. You don't want to have a reputation of not allowing your employees to move on to better jobs elsewhere.

Edited by Captain Caveman

I'm pretty sure we could demand a draft pick for Jim O'Neil, because he is still under contract in Buffalo.

Yeah, because denying a coach a promotion is a great way to get anyone worthwhile to come and coach here.