DC candidates

That is what I am saying, and it's the only reason to keep the guy. Henderson had a year under Pettine, and now Henderson will be tasked in carrying out Pettine's same scheme. It's the reason you would keep the guy. If he tells Marrone that he would implement an entirely new defense, then it makes sense to shop around outside of the organization.

Yeah, that makes sense. But, do you have confidence Henderson (who spent time as a positional coach, not necessarily completely in tuned with why some defenses were called at specific times during the game) can just go ahead and run the defense?

Wouldn't you feel more confident if he were within this scheme for closer to five years at least? Seems like more of a risk than hiring another guy to me.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I am saying, and it's the only reason to keep the guy. Henderson had a year under Pettine, and now Henderson will be tasked in carrying out Pettine's same scheme. It's the reason you would keep the guy. If he tells Marrone that he would implement an entirely new defense, then it makes sense to shop around outside of the organization.

Yep. If Marrone wants to run the same D scheme, promote. That's what Seattle did last year. Worked for them.

That 2005 team that was 2nd in passing yards allowed was 29th in rushing yards allowed, on its way to a 4-12 season.

I see you point but nothing stays the same. You're either getting better or worse...pretty sure he's learned from his past stint in the DC role. If anything its worth a shot given the talent and for continuity sake. I also believe Jim O'Neil is a good candidate as well, he knows Pettine's system but he doesn't have any experience in the role.

I see you point but nothing stays the same. You're either getting better or worse...pretty sure he's learned from his past stint in the DC role. If anything its worth a shot given the talent and for continuity sake. I also believe Jim O'Neil is a good candidate as well, he knows Pettine's system but he doesn't have any experience in the role.

Very astute of you.

If im Marrone then Wade is my choice. You have a guy who is proven as a DC which means low risk high reward. Undoubtly he would be the assistand HC as well. Hiring from within is very dangerous as we have a very weak staff. That bein said its the Bills so we will do something overly stupid. Im sure Marrone has a Cronie somewhere needing a job also. This is going to get funny.

More important than Henderson's time with Pettine, was his time with Rex Ryan when both were position coaches under Mike Nolan in Baltimore.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, that makes sense. But, do you have confidence Henderson (who spent time as a positional coach, not necessarily completely in tuned with why some defenses were called at specific times during the game) can just go ahead and run the defense?

Wouldn't you feel more confident if he were within this scheme for closer to five years at least? Seems like more of a risk than hiring another guy to me.

I agree it's a risk. I also have no views on Henderson, since I have heard nothing about how much he knows this scheme.

The question is going to be what's riskier-- keeping Henderson/trying to run the same scheme versus getting someone new/changing the scheme?

Wade Phillips.

He's alreAdy stated that he would return to "any team" that he used to work for.

It would all come down to the facts of Russ is truly running the team or of Ralph is. If Ralph still has a say, then his fridge won't allow it. If Russ is, there's no better defensive coaching coordinator available.

All I know is last time the Bills made the playoffs Wade was on the sideline.

Enough for me right there.

All I know is last time the Bills made the playoffs Wade was on the sideline.

Enough for me right there.

That was also 14+ years ago. I'm not saying the NFL has passed Wade by but his best successes have come with defenses that took some time to build and assemble the talent for. That worries me.

If we look outside the org, I would like to see someone bright and innovative picked up - basically a Pettine with a little less pedigree.

I agree it's a risk. I also have no views on Henderson, since I have heard nothing about how much he knows this scheme.

The question is going to be what's riskier-- keeping Henderson/trying to run the same scheme versus getting someone new/changing the scheme?

Depends on who it is changing the scheme. Wade has had success at several teams of coming in, changing things, and turning a bad one into a good one in one season.

I hope Pettine stays, but if he doesn't I don't think we should get too hung up on keeping the same scheme. With the talent we have, a good coach should be able to make it work.