Are you scientifically literate?

Just Jack

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God I made some dumb mistakes, and I have a serious mental block against doing math in my head. I got 90%. I'm a multidegreed chemist, these things are usually fun for me.

Tom, you must not have small children, the only reason I got the nimbus question was because of Disneys "UP"...

God I made some dumb mistakes, and I have a serious mental block against doing math in my head. I got 90%. I'm a multidegreed chemist, these things are usually fun for me.

Tom, you must not have small children, the only reason I got the nimbus question was because of Disneys "UP"...

Of course I don't have kids. You've seen how I treat idiots. Can you imagine what I'd do to them in their larval state?

too much chemistry and biologoy for me to do any bragging (I never had a single course in either subject in my entire life). it there weren't so many physics and astronomy questions, I'd have done a lot worse than my humble 66.

I like that they try to trip you up on the final question.

Edited by Azalin

The way they worded the questions, there were multiple ways to answer the questions.

Like Fluorine being number 9 on the table, blah, blah blah about the other parts of the question. Same with oxygen being the most abundant element in the earth's crust. Yes, the question said crust, which would throw people for a loop, but they also said atomic number of 8... That has to be oxygen, just from memory. Same w/the question about which element is 16. Has to be sulphur, "yellow cyrstalline" structure gave it it away. Radon being the heaviest noble gas was a no brainer too.

So... Even if you didn't "know" the answer you could figure it out by process of elimination. Same with the answer Joule, with regard to the electrical question... I think the question was distance (1 meter) Ever read a surge protector, things are measured in Joules I am pretty sure. Same w/-nimbus, those are rain clouds, gotta be precipatating. Then there is just things that come to memory, like AM and amplitude modulation vs. FM which is frequency modulation.

It seems the whole test was like that, giving you many ways to come up with the answer, then your memory is jogged w/what you learned.

Like Jboyst said earlier... Test taking ability.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois