Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as HC

thebandit27

His track record with Flacco isn't great either-- Flacco and the Ravens offense regressed pretty bad. I don't think the Ravens even offered to keep him on.

If I am Caldwell, I have to got to think about finding a superstar defensive coordinator to just run that defense without his involvement; too bad Lovie got the TB job, because he would have been a good fit there.

Well, Flacco was money after Caldwell became the OC last year. But agreed. What a bonekiller hire for Lions fans.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this is a bad hire for the Lions. It might not be a flashy name, but he ran the Colts offense for years under Dungy before becoming the HC. He is a no-nonsense guy who, believe it or not, the Colts were excited to replace Dungy. Very different personalty. He is known for working with QBs. I think he'll be a surprisingly good fit for Stafford, and the Lions. It was not a slam dunk that he would not be retained after they had their Manning-less year. It was an Irsay move that went along with the rest of his moves to clean house.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is the perfect example of bad teams being bad over the long haul because of bad decisions at the top. Any GM that so much as interviews Jim Caldwell for a HC position (unless it's to satisfy the Rooney rule) should be fired and never able to work in the NFL again.

This guy's as bad as it gets. Forget that he coached a team to a 2 win season. This loser gave up on an undefeated season. He may be the greatest guy in the world, I have no idea, but as a competitor and coach I have absolutely no respect whatsoever for Caldwell. He's garbage.

Edited by Rob's House

I don't think this is a bad hire for the Lions. It might not be a flashy name, but he ran the Colts offense for years under Dungy before becoming the HC. He is a no-nonsense guy who, believe it or not, the Colts were excited to replace Dungy. Very different personalty. He is known for working with QBs. I think he'll be a surprisingly good fit for Stafford, and the Lions. It was not a slam dunk that he would not be retained after they had their Manning-less year. It was an Irsay move that went along with the rest of his moves to clean house.

the personality certainly seems to be the anti-jim schwartz which probably went a long way for him.

still wouldnt like it though - not that i think hes the worst coach ever, id just have a hard time talking myself into thinking hes among the top 5-10 candidates in the world currently not employed as an NFL head coach (and by hard time, i mean i dont think i could).

Edited by NoSaint

the personality certainly seems to be the anti-jim schwartz which probably went a long way for him.

still wouldnt like it though - not that i think hes the worst coach ever, id just have a hard time talking myself into thinking hes among the top 5-10 candidates in the world currently not employed as an NFL head coach (and by hard time, i mean i dont think i could).

What is working against the Lions is what made Whisenhunt select the Titans. The geographic area, and organizational stability. It is the same thing that is killing the browns in their coaching search. What great HC canddiate is going to a losing organization who fires their latest coach after one year and live in Cleveland? The Titans had long leashes for both Fisher and Munchak (they offered Munchak an extension if he fired certain guys and he decided to leave). That in itself is very attractive, that they feel they have time to build something.

What is working against the Lions is what made Whisenhunt select the Titans. The geographic area, and organizational stability. It is the same thing that is killing the browns in their coaching search. What great HC canddiate is going to a losing organization who fires their latest coach after one year and live in Cleveland? The Titans had long leashes for both Fisher and Munchak (they offered Munchak an extension if he fired certain guys and he decided to leave). That in itself is very attractive, that they feel they have time to build something.

schwartz has had a pretty long leash.

i know id pick nashville over detroit but id pick the roster and GM over geography, easily. i dont think detroit is currently as manic as the browns situation, and what is even going on with tennessee ownership post-bud? i havent much followed that honestly.

schwartz has had a pretty long leash.

i know id pick nashville over detroit but id pick the roster and GM over geography, easily. i dont think detroit is currently as manic as the browns situation, and what is even going on with tennessee ownership post-bud? i havent much followed that honestly.

5 seasons does seem like a lot to Bills fans

5 seasons does seem like a lot to Bills fans

from a quick glance - he was about i believe the 10th longest tenured coach in the league. i think mike smith and marvin lewis were the only 2 at the job longer that dont have a ring. schwartz had a very talented team that underperformed and is undisciplined.

5 years isnt chump change in the nfl.

from a quick glance - he was about i believe the 10th longest tenured coach in the league. i think mike smith and marvin lewis were the only 2 at the job longer that dont have a ring. schwartz had a very talented team that underperformed and is undisciplined.

I also believe that I read that Schwartz had the worst record (in terms of winning percentage) of any coach over a 5-year period since the coach of the winless Tampa Bay team of the 70's.

This is the kind of "sick to my stomach" hire that Bills fans have gotten in the past, with such hires as Jauron and Gailey.

Caldwell is a fake coach, propped up by Peyton Manning running the entire organization. That the Colts imploded when Manning got injured is a pretty good indicator of who called the shots there.

I agree with this completely

You would think with all the talent there Detroit would hv been able to do better...then again I wouldn't want to move there no matter how good the job

I think his buddy Jim Tressel has a chance to be OC there... they are tight and Tress wants to coach in the NFL

http://www.landgrant...e-detroit-lions

I am kind of surprised, particularly since nobody seems to want to coach them, that the Browns aren't bendig over backwards to hire Tressell. Not sure if it would be a great hire for them, but he would, at the very least, be a popular choice amongst many Browns fans. Don't see how they are going to do any better at this point.

I am kind of surprised, particularly since nobody seems to want to coach them, that the Browns aren't bendig over backwards to hire Tressell. Not sure if it would be a great hire for them, but he would, at the very least, be a popular choice amongst many Browns fans. Don't see how they are going to do any better at this point.

The could do (and have done) much worse than Tress. I would be a very popular choice especially as they are trying to expand their fan base to Central Ohio and play a preseason game in Columbus. He would be just as good if not better than the last 4 coaches they hired.

It really did underperform.. I was looking at his records... bad

The could do (and have done) much worse than Tress. I would be a very popular choice especially as they are trying to expand their fan base to Central Ohio and play a preseason game in Columbus. He would be just as good if not better than the last 4 coaches they hired.

Any word around there about if they/he have any interest in eachother? When the Browns job first opened, I heard him mentioned, then it was "for sure" going to be the a-hole from New England...then he backed out...haven't heard much since. I truly empathize with Browns fans.

Any word around there about if they/he have any interest in eachother? When the Browns job first opened, I heard him mentioned, then it was "for sure" going to be the a-hole from New England...then he backed out...haven't heard much since. I truly empathize with Browns fans.

Tressel opened the door to say he would be interested, but other than a false Twitter report last week that he had been interviewed (it was quickly retracted), nothing from the Browns camp. They prefer to only interview coaches who have worked with HOF QBs (Josh McDaniels, Adam Gase in Denver) because clearly they have one of those in Cleveland as well and the transition would be so smooth. :wallbash: Edited by YoloinOhio

Tom Moore was the architect of the Colts offense. All Caldwell did was run that team into the ground. He's an awful coach. I'm actually feeling sorry for Lions fans. This is a God-awful hire, and the Lions are on track to win about 15 games total over the next 3 years.