Crossman Retained

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fair point; I guess I just don't fault Marrone for giving the guy a chance to right the ship. It's not like an offense or defense in which the coach brings a possibly intricate system that needs to be installed, so if Marrone has to can him after next season and bring in someone else, it won't be a major transition.

I generally can't fault him for that, but in this case, said coach has a pretty sizable record of futility to lean on. He has shown improvement in one of his 10 seasons, and regression in six of them.

So his best year at his previous two stops were his 1st. Yikes! :unsure:

Yeah.... that's not a good record.

His best unit was apparently one he inherited.

In my opinion, this is truly Marrone's first big mistake and does eat at his credibility. I do not see Crossman pulling out of his nose-dive next year as he has not done that elsewhere and fingers will definitely point back to Marrone and his apparent cronyism.

So the way I read this, assuming the WR coach was fired due to personal differences with Marrone, no one on the coaching staff was held accountable for this past season. Marrone must see it as growing pains. Or maybe he values continuity more than accountability. In any event I hope he has made good decisions for our sake as well as his.

So the way I read this, assuming the WR coach was fired due to personal differences with Marrone, no one on the coaching staff was held accountable for this past season. Marrone must see it as growing pains. Or maybe he values continuity more than accountability. In any event I hope he has made good decisions for our sake as well as his.

as someone else pointed out upthread (as a reason its not a big deal to fire him next year) continuity on special teams isnt much of a real thing. you have basic schemes and are plugging in guys week to week that may be coming off the street to fill in for injury depth or the like. that other coaches can do that, while he needs an even bigger arsenal than hes been given (id argue we have great returners, easley as a premiere gunner) than most coaches have in the nfl to get to the level of "bad" i am not sure what is expected to even reach average yet alone very good. if it were one year id be able to get on board for wait and see but its been a decade and last year was the standard result not the aberration

Edited by NoSaint

Can't say I'm thrilled. The Hilliard firing made plenty of sense, and this one would have too.

I guess the difference being: one is a positional coach, the other a coordinator.

The optimist in me expects Marrone to keep him on a tight leash, moving forward. Could be a bye-week castoff in 2014. But anyone rooting for that is rooting for the Bills to fail.

He's aleady fired....... the WR coach!

For God's sake, is that not enough to show you he has cleaned house??

Can't say I'm thrilled. The Hilliard firing made plenty of sense, and this one would have too.

I guess the difference being: one is a positional coach, the other a coordinator.

The optimist in me expects Marrone to keep him on a tight leash, moving forward. Could be a bye-week castoff in 2014. But anyone rooting for that is rooting for the Bills to fail.

The Hilliard firign would only make sense if he also fired the QB coach.

He's aleady fired....... the WR coach!

For God's sake, is that not enough to show you he has cleaned house??

The Hilliard firign would only make sense if he also fired the QB coach.

I disagree. I think it was clear that HIlliard didn't have his players toe the line to Marrone's expectations. Also, where in God's name is there evidence that the quarterbacks played significantly below their talent level, like the receivers did. One would argue that goal-line pick six not withstanding, the QB coach (Hackett, and I'm sure that's the point you were trying to make, which is equally invalid) having produced three wins with three quaterbacks with a combined 1 NFL start prior to the season should have been nominated for Bills' coach of the year!

as someone else pointed out upthread (as a reason its not a big deal to fire him next year) continuity on special teams isnt much of a real thing. you have basic schemes and are plugging in guys week to week that may be coming off the street to fill in for injury depth or the like. that other coaches can do that, while he needs an even bigger arsenal than hes been given (id argue we have great returners, easley as a premiere gunner) than most coaches have in the nfl to get to the level of "bad" i am not sure what is expected to even reach average yet alone very good. if it were one year id be able to get on board for wait and see but its been a decade and last year was the standard result not the aberration

Well I wasn't thinking of that continuity, but more of continuity of the coaching staff itself (except for the WR coach which was apparently unavoidable).

Well I wasn't thinking of that continuity, but more of continuity of the coaching staff itself (except for the WR coach which was apparently unavoidable).

i knew what you meant but week to week and season to season his third of the game doesnt expect any continuity. unless he is contributing elsewhere, im not sure the value of that continuity on the staff.

Epic failure on Marrone's part. Cuts Choice; fires Hilliard; yet retains Crossman.

That's not only the sign of an inexperienced coach ... it's the sign of an inept one.

I hope he knows something we don't.

Damn. I saw the word "Crossman"' and thought. Awesome they got rid of him.

Then I had to reread "Retained" a few times. I thought ""Retained" is not a term for **** canned, infact in means the opposite."

Yikes!

This is a major screw up by Morrone.

Relevant: how much credit does Crossman deserve for the dynamite year Carpenter had? Is there more to his position than coverages and return schemes?

Zero. Carpenter is a professional FG kicker.

I've generally warmed to Marrone as the season has gone along and I do think he has a chance to be the guy we have been after - but that's for other threads. The biggest red flag (no not another challenge we lost) against Marrone last off-season for me was the hiring of Crossman. His special teams in Detroit were horrible. I don't recall witnessing his handy work in Carolina, but I did see his Detroit team get burned on kick off and punt returns time and time again. Looking at those numbers makes me feel even worse about him. I was hoping that they were keeping their powder dry and hoping someone got released off another staff to bring in and make the change, but if they have confirmed he has been retained that is really bad news. Not good at his job.

Edited by GunnerBill

Coaches don't tackle. Players do.

You pretty much always have a response for everything huh. Well regardless our special teams was a joke and this guy is a clown who was fired from Detroit for being awful. Glad hes Marrone's buddy though. We will be doing another coaching search next year at this time I fully expect.

Relevant: how much credit does Crossman deserve for the dynamite year Carpenter had? Is there more to his position than coverages and return schemes?

carpenter was good, but hes had good seasons before. and he didnt spend the offseason with us. unless you think he reworked carpenters kicking in the week leading into the season, im guessing DC was just doing what he does in that respect. though where you might have unintentionally hit a homerun is "did he contribute to the failure of our punter"

Edited by NoSaint

Heard Jeremy White on WGR mention that Crossman has been retained.

Bad move on Marrone's part the whole accountability spiel is a joke.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that this is true, but, I'll wait until something official is announced to unleash my indignation.