We took Aaron Williams over Andy Dalton

boyst

Oh the memories

Guess we can't always get them right.

This is a reminder that we are all fans, not to polk fun at anyone or make anyone upset. We're all wrong at some point and we don't need to pile on each other but it really is something to be happy about. Time has passed and like someone said in the thread, lets wait a few seasons. We have!

Go Aaron Wiliams!

Edited by jboyst62

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will add this

2011 draft

Pick 33: NE Patriots, CB Ras-I Dowling

Pick 34: Buf Bills, CB Aaron Williams

Pick 35: Cin Bengals, QB Andy Dalton

We all know about pick 34 and 35. Did we all realize that Dowling is now on the practice squad for the Jets, a team so bad that they drafted a 1st round CB this past year that ended up being benched? A CB so highly touted that they said he would be the best of the draft.

It's a good point on not judging players too early, because A. Williams was a real stinker at CB. Still, I'd take an average starting QB over an above average strong safety at this point.

Agree. Is this thread sarcasm?

A. Williams...converted CB, now decent SS.

I will add this

2011 draft

Pick 33: NE Patriots, CB Ras-I Dowling

Pick 34: Buf Bills, CB Aaron Williams

Pick 35: Cin Bengals, QB Andy Dalton

We all know about pick 34 and 35. Did we all realize that Dowling is now on the practice squad for the Jets, a team so bad that they drafted a 1st round CB this past year that ended up being benched? A CB so highly touted that they said he would be the best of the draft.

Over a 10 year period ending 2011, the pats drafted the second highest number of pro bowlers and best draft grade by cold hardfootball facts

Not sarcasm at all, nor ill feelings. It is just a reminder that we are fans. We are too close to the team to look around the league and see other teams mess up, too. In our judgements we react quickly and impatiently, as we should do because we're fans.

While Sage is correct in his statement we could look at this further. If we drafted Dalton we'd still likely head in to 2014 needing a starting QB as badly as we do currently. The end result would be the same, more or less, with the position.

It's a good point on not judging players too early, because A. Williams was a real stinker at CB. Still, I'd take an average starting QB over an above average strong safety at this point.

No way. I think in a lot of ways having a guy like Dalton is the worst, because he's good enough to deter you from trying to get better, but I don't see him ever winning anything.

Over a 10 year period ending 2011, the pats drafted the second highest number of pro bowlers and best draft grade by cold hardfootball facts

It is not to discredit the Pats drafting. It's to say all teams miss, all teams guess wrong, all teams don't do perfect.

The Patriots talent and Pro Bowl selections are a whole other topic but they'd be nothing without luck. not Andrew Luck, but luck. That Tom Brady was pulled off the bench and rose to prominence is so remarkably ridiculous it should have never happened. He was never going to start, he was never thought of as more then a backup QB just like whoever backs up Brees, Rivers, Matt Ryan. Bledsoe had just been given a huge contract and was likely the starter for the next 6 years in NE. The Patriots nor the rest of the world would be able to realize at that point they had arguably the best QB in the history of the game.

Watching Andy Dalton has been painful today, and it's what I fully expected. The guy is not a good QB. Cincy is playing at home, with the better defense, better WR's, better TE's and they won't win. Why? Andy Dalton. The more the pressure built, the more he crumbled. For the NFL talent evaluators who said this guy doesn't have a good enough arm for the NFL were dead on. A couple of his INT's were a complete result of his ball lacking zip on those sideline passes. If I'm a Bengals fan I've seen enough to know this guy ain't getting it done. So far the playoffs are 3/3 with the better QB getting the W. No QB, No Shot, Bye-bye Andy

Not sarcasm at all, nor ill feelings. It is just a reminder that we are fans. We are too close to the team to look around the league and see other teams mess up, too. In our judgements we react quickly and impatiently, as we should do because we're fans.

While Sage is correct in his statement we could look at this further. If we drafted Dalton we'd still likely head in to 2014 needing a starting QB as badly as we do currently. The end result would be the same, more or less, with the position.

Maybe, but comparing him to the A williams pick doesn't make your point. If Williams never showed up for another game in Buffalo, few would notice.

No way. I think in a lot of ways having a guy like Dalton is the worst, because he's good enough to deter you from trying to get better, but I don't see him ever winning anything.

And the window will start closing quick once they have to pay dalton and green. You can stack a roster around a rookie contract qb- but once he's the centerpiece it's going to be tough for them to be great. Still good but...

Watching Andy Dalton has been painful today, and it's what I fully expected. The guy is not a good QB. Cincy is playing at home, with the better defense, better WR's, better TE's and they won't win. Why? Andy Dalton. The more the pressure built, the more he crumbled. For the NFL talent evaluators who said this guy doesn't have a good enough arm for the NFL were dead on. A couple of his INT's were a complete result of his ball lacking zip on those sideline passes. If I'm a Bengals fan I've seen enough to know this guy ain't getting it done. So far the playoffs are 3/3 with the better QB getting the W. No QB, No Shot, Bye-bye Andy

I agree with your entire post except that I don't think Dalton's problem is arm strength.

It is not to discredit the Pats drafting. It's to say all teams miss, all teams guess wrong, all teams don't do perfect.

The Patriots talent and Pro Bowl selections are a whole other topic but they'd be nothing without luck. not Andrew Luck, but luck. That Tom Brady was pulled off the bench and rose to prominence is so remarkably ridiculous it should have never happened. He was never going to start, he was never thought of as more then a backup QB just like whoever backs up Brees, Rivers, Matt Ryan. Bledsoe had just been given a huge contract and was likely the starter for the next 6 years in NE. The Patriots nor the rest of the world would be able to realize at that point they had arguably the best QB in the history of the game.

Well, then, this is why you draft the franchise QBs replacement before the guy retires or falls apart. It was wise of them to draft a QB (Brady was hardly an unknown college scrub). GB did the same thing when they took Rodgers.

Damn I'm freaking awesome.

How do I get a Front Office job in the NFL do they put GM jobs on Mobster.com?

And can this please still happen.

It's not too late.

Andrew Dalton is not on the shoulda, coulda woulda list.

Now will someone get that red head to the barber shop and have some black stripes dyed into his head in the same design as the Bengals helmet. Please Please Please have this happen.

Although after this game we may not be seeing Dalton too much except when holding a clipboard.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Damn I'm freaking awesome.

How do I get a Front Office job in the NFL do they put GM jobs on Mobster.com?

LOL

Actually most people in that thread agreed Dalton wasn't anything special and were ok with the Bills' pick. And it seems like there's been a "Dalton sucks" thread every year during wild card weekend. IIRC he was awful last year too.

Andy Dalton is a very ordinary QB, he has a lot of weapons, a good line, and an excellent defense to support him. Context is very important, and he is in a situation setup for him to succeed. We need to do the same thing for EJ. Clearly, IMHO he has more upside than Dalton. The context they play in is very different right now. Keep improving the team...get some more playmakers. You can improve the lines in FA.

Edited by 75Bills