Bills need to poop or get off the pot.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That kind of confidence can evaporate against a real NFL pass rush and coverage scheme.

Oh absolutely, I mean we see it every year. But that's why having that extra confidence means that much more. When I watch EJ, he seems to think about every step every turn of the head everything that he does, you know? It just doesn't look natural for him out there. It is still extremely early in his career though so I do take that into consideration.

Has anyone noticed that EJ runs like Scott Chandler? I honestly make that comparison every time he scrambles. Thad might be slower, but he's light on his feet and dances away from contact.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like fragile afraid of getting hit QB's either. But if Manuel runs at LBers like an awkward truck with no finesse, he'll keep getting hurt. That's my main knock on his game, asides from accuracy, footwork, throwing downfield, and staring down receivers.

Wait, why was he a first rounder again?

Also, EJ would be a third rounder at best this year. Big arm, looks the part but doesn't have the skill set or career of Murray, Manziel, Teddy, even guys like Boyd. Seeing as only a few teams in the top take QB's because they're starting over, EJ wouldn't even get a look until the 3rd

Edited by FireChan

Let me ask this: if EJ was coming out with this year's crop of QB's and we hadn't drafted one in 2013, would anyone be saying anything about the Bills drafting EJ in the 1st..or at all?

If Russell Wilson was drafted in the first round instead of the third would anyone be complaining that he was an unworthy draft pick? If Kaepernick would have been drafted in the first round instead of the second round would anyone be complaining that he was drafted too high? Of course not. If EJ turns turns out to be a franchise qb then the argumment that he was drafted too high has little merit.

The organization made a judgement that EJ was the best qb propsect for them in last year's draft. If they had a conviction on him then it would have been foolish to wait another round or two and risk losing him to another team. It seems to me that you are making a premature assumption that he is already a failed prospect. That makes little sense. Next year with an offseason to prepare and a rookie year behind him should be very telling about whether he has the talent to be a starter or just another flawed prospect.

This year, Nick Foles made a dramatic leap forward as a qb from his rookie year. Can EJ have a similar level of advancement in his seoond year? These early declarations of failure are unreasonable and unfair. Let's just wait and see.

You didn't get what I was saying. What if RG wins a SB for them in I dunno, 1215? Was it still a mistake? But you know he won't, so it's a mistake as you see it?

Just like you know EJ won't turn into a good QB? It cuts both ways. You say the Bills need to roll the dice, well they did...last year. Just because you lack the patience to wait to see what the dice come up as doesn't mean they need to roll the dice a second time.

The Bills need to add another QB but it doesn't need to be at 9 and they most certainly don't need to play fantasy football and trade up in the draft when they just used a 1st round pick on a QB last year.

I find it remarkable that many here wanted Vick the dog slayer at any cost but are concerned about JM signing some autographs and drinking some beer.

I forgot the big one-a 19 year old with fake ID. Pass, we don't need that kind of scum on the Bills.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with everything Mr. WEO has said.

Couple things not said that are contributing elements; Johnny Football still has a year of college eligibility. Quick, name the last college QB who came out early and will be a 1st rd pick. Sure, his parents voiced concern for the way their 19 yr old son was dealing with over night, Beatle-like adoration. I think it's a tribute to his coaches and advisors that he had no character concerns after the summer, and he's STILL very young. He's an undeniable spark plug who clearly backs his bravado with results on the field. I'd love to see him be a Bill. I like the Steve Young comparison, who's still a bit nutty -even after a HOF career.

But.. To the OP, no, I wouldn't give up 2-1sts & 2-2nds. What our new FO regime did with the draft last year was a phenomenal performance -never had a draft/UDFA haul like that in team history, so they deserve to have another Full Go at it again in April. I'd argue their BEST selection now starts for the still-playing Colts. -thanks a lot, Coach Maroon! (still have a drafted PK to figure out)

If he's there @ 9, make him a Bill. If not, I'll trust our scouting dept to deliver another bumper crop.

I hope very much my opinion of Manuel turns out to be wrong and I'll gladly eat crow. I don't believe he has a 'high-ceiling'. Nice guy, crappy QB. So was Trent, JP, RF, Holcomb, etc. etc. Johnny Manziel has shown nothing BUT excellent QB skills.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with everything Mr. WEO has said.

Couple things not said that are contributing elements; Johnny Football still has a year of college eligibility. Quick, name the last college QB who came out early and will be a 1st rd pick. Sure, his parents voiced concern for the way their 19 yr old son was dealing with over night, Beatle-like adoration. I think it's a tribute to his coaches and advisors that he had no character concerns after the summer, and he's STILL very young. He's an undeniable spark plug who clearly backs his bravado with results on the field. I'd love to see him be a Bill. I like the Steve Young comparison, who's still a bit nutty -even after a HOF career.

But.. To the OP, no, I wouldn't give up 2-1sts & 2-2nds. What our new FO regime did with the draft last year was a phenomenal performance -never had a draft/UDFA haul like that in team history, so they deserve to have another Full Go at it again in April. I'd argue their BEST selection now starts for the still-playing Colts. -thanks a lot, Coach Maroon! (still have a drafted PK to figure out)

If he's there @ 9, make him a Bill. If not, I'll trust our scouting dept to deliver another bumper crop.

I hope very much my opinion of Manuel turns out to be wrong and I'll gladly eat crow. I don't believe he has a 'high-ceiling'. Nice guy, crappy QB. So was Trent, JP, RF, Holcomb, etc. etc. Johnny Manziel has shown nothing BUT excellent QB skills.

So you agree with me in getting JM, but want to haggle over the price. What historically have Bills draft picks been worth over the years? About the same as a losing lottery ticket from last year. Dump them off for a player who can [may] single handly turn the team around.

Just like you know EJ won't turn into a good QB? It cuts both ways. You say the Bills need to roll the dice, well they did...last year. Just because you lack the patience to wait to see what the dice come up as doesn't mean they need to roll the dice a second time.

The Bills need to add another QB but it doesn't need to be at 9 and they most certainly don't need to play fantasy football and trade up in the draft when they just used a 1st round pick on a QB last year.

Roll the dice? Because they traded down from 8 to 16 to pick a player projected to go in the 3rd round? Woh that's brass balls.

Roll the dice? Because they traded down from 8 to 16 to pick a player projected to go in the 3rd round? Woh that's brass balls.

Actually, NFL Network's Mike Mayock--who has been approached by at least 2 NFL teams about their GM post--projected EJ as a 2nd round value that would be a 1st round pick.

So that whole "projected as a 3rd round pick" that some folks throw around is a myth

Actually, NFL Network's Mike Mayock--who has been approached by at least 2 NFL teams about their GM post--projected EJ as a 2nd round value that would be a 1st round pick.

So that whole "projected as a 3rd round pick" that some folks throw around is a myth

It's a myth because Mayock said it? Sorry but I have been informed by MANY posters here that they know more then anyone on TV or radio.

It's a myth because Mayock said it? Sorry but I have been informed by MANY posters here that they know more then anyone on TV or radio.

I'm not sure which point you're trying to make.

If the point is that Mayock projecting EJ as a 1st round pick doesn't mean that EJ was projected as a 1st round pick, well, go ahead and convince me of why that's true, because it sounds wrong.

If the point is that people on this board don't know more than the TV people, then that's remarkably irrelevant to this discussion.

Either way, what are you talking about?

The first time a DE picks up Manzeil and slams him to the ground he will be done. He will never be able to take the hits and they will hit him. His attitude will not help any team. We have lots of needs and to waste a pick on him is not smart. Time to move past this conversation.

Right, because none of the guys who slammed Maziel to the turf in the SEC the past two years could possibly compare to NFL players. He would obviously be a wasted pick.

Actually, I am still trying to figure out what happened with that pick.

If they thought that Manuel was a franchise qb, trading down was a huge risk, UNLESS they had another qb with a similar rating.

I'm not sure which point you're trying to make.

If the point is that Mayock projecting EJ as a 1st round pick doesn't mean that EJ was projected as a 1st round pick, well, go ahead and convince me of why that's true, because it sounds wrong.

If the point is that people on this board don't know more than the TV people, then that's remarkably irrelevant to this discussion.

Either way, what are you talking about?

Sorry I admit I did go off on a tangent there. It's just that so many posters here claim to know far more then anyone [even a SB winning HC] on TV that I was shocked to see you quote one.

Pretty much. People are dying to end the streak of missing the playoffs, but if we blow everything to get in and out quick its useless. Instead of 'we haven't made the playoffs in 14 years' it will be 'we've only went once in 15 years'. Not a whole lot better. We need a consistent winner that we feel has a chance to go all the way.

The next wail of anguish for Bills fans after we make playoffs will be "we haven't won a playoff game in 20+ years!"

PTR