Bills need to poop or get off the pot.

That's a nice stat. When you ever see Cam run, are you reminded of EJ? Or vice-versa? EJ looks like he's wearing 30 lb shoes when he's evading pressure.

Then why isn't he far more polished than JM?

And, be specific, what off field issues concerned you most after the start of this season?

Finally, JM, who bested Newton's SEC records as a freshman (and freshman Heisman winner) had more media scrutiny (deservedly so) than any freshman QB in college history. He handled it mostly poorly. EJ, until the Senior Bowl, hardly anyone was ever paying attention to him. Who knows how he would have responded if anyone (at all) scrutinized him this was as a 19 year old.

I don't think Cam and EJ are similar players. The point is EJ isn't slow. And no when I see EJ run I don't think it looks like he is wearing lead cleats.

We're just saying things for the sake of saying things.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a nice stat. When you ever see Cam run, are you reminded of EJ? Or vice-versa? EJ looks like he's wearing 30 lb shoes when he's evading pressure.

Then why isn't he far more polished than JM?

And, be specific, what off field issues concerned you most after the start of this season?

Finally, JM, who bested Newton's SEC records as a freshman (and freshman Heisman winner) had more media scrutiny (deservedly so) than any freshman QB in college history. He handled it mostly poorly. EJ, until the Senior Bowl, hardly anyone was ever paying attention to him. Who knows how he would have responded if anyone (at all) scrutinized him this was as a 19 year old.

EJ Manuel also played for a national championship contender, found out his mom had breast cancer, and didn't tell a single person.

EJ Manuel also played for a national championship contender, found out his mom had breast cancer, and didn't tell a single person.

You are confusing him with the current FSU QB.

The 2012 FSU team finished out of the top 10 and were not contending for a national title

What's funny is that his critics here claim most of his yards are after screens and at the same time argue that he just threw big bombs for his giant WR to jump up and catch.

I've seen a lot of the latter. To answer your question, yeah, this kind of WR does help a QB get better. If you don't believe me, watch playoff QB Andy Dalton sometime. He is nothing special. His WR definitely is.

Not only do you have a WR that actually catches more balls thrown to him than, say, a TJ Graham, you have a radius of about 5" more to work with -- at least. It surely helps a QB keep drives going, which is the #1 problem the Bills have.

Johnny Numbskull has had a pretty nice college career. He has size going against him with Brees and Wilson as outliers. Maybe he shows how trends are changing and succeeds. Maybe he is a guy who has smarts akin to Jim Kelly but just knows how to play the game. Maybe he would do nothing more than EJ has with the kinds of weapons we've had here.

I simply don't want to court a QB controversy. You draft this kid, and you are hitching the wagon to him. There is no drafting Manziel and having an open competition. I don't get the sense that the Bills want to hand the keys to another rookie for a second year in a row, let alone a guy who just turned 21 and reportedly has maturity issues.

The 2012 FSU team finished out of the top 10 and were not contending for a national title

Finishing out of the top 10 doesn't mean you weren't contending all year. They were ranked #3 in week 5, and still were in the top 10 until the Fla loss.

http://espn.go.com/n...ading-no-1-pick

Looks like getting Johnny football is doable. Yes I can hear the wailing, rendering of hair and gashing of teeth from the ultra conservative posters who call for a 5 year plan."get a guard! a WR between 6 1 and 6 2! we may go to 7-9!"

He would bring a huge sense of anticipation and excitement to the Bills and yes sell tickets.

Is a same-o-same o CB, WR, TE draft going to do that? No.

But what if it backfires? So? This is entertainment, not war. No ones going to die if he didn't work out. But it sure would be a lot of fun in the mean time.

I would go 2 first's and 2 seconds

I agree with you that getting Manziel would be a good move. I mean he definitely was top 5 douchebag's of 2013 off the field but on the field there's just no way that anyone can knock how he plays the game. I like EJ, I really do but he doesn't play the position with the conviction or confidence that you need to have. Manziel plays with that confidence and that warrants respect against opposing defenses. I don't really care about how big he is or w/e, I mean anyone at any size can get hurt....it's the NFL. Another thing I don't understand is the concept of having to wait around for 3 years for a player to develop ALL THE TIME. It was our excuse for Losman, Edwards and even Fitzpatrick even though he wasn't a rookie. As I look around at the teams playing in the playoffs I can't name one team that would be willing to sit around and pass up on talent at QB if their QB wasn't showing progress from game to game. I've watched a lot of Texas A&M games this year and Manziel makes NFL type throws with no problem, he isn't as much of a run first QB as most people think either. He's just good at eluding pressure and sensing when it's time to run. On another note, people shouldn't be comparing rookie QB's from 2013-14 to QB's of the 80's, 90's and even early 2000's. It's a completely different game now, the QB's now have it a heck of a lot easier then those rookie QB's did. JMO. GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Lincoln Osiris

I agree with you that getting Manziel would be a good move. I mean he definitely was top 5 douchebag's of 2013 off the field but on the field there's just no way that anyone can knock how he plays the game. I like EJ, I really do but he doesn't play the position with the conviction or confidence that you need to have. Manziel plays with that confidence and that warrants respect against opponent.

That kind of confidence can evaporate against a real NFL pass rush and coverage scheme.

BS. They were as high as #3 and finished 10. EJ played through his mom's cancer. He's a man while Johnny is a spoiled little boy.

Yup, EJ has the intangibles of being a successful NFL QB. Unfortunately he struggles with the tangibles.

Agreed with this 100%. I also saw Marrone take one of the worst college Qbs I have ever seen in Nassib & make him get talked about as a first round pick.

Let's hope Marrone can do the same with EJ. It's impossible to know how much those injuries set him back this year.

Let me ask this: if EJ was coming out with this year's crop of QB's and we hadn't drafted one in 2013, would anyone be saying anything about the Bills drafting EJ in the 1st..or at all?

Personally besides Bridgewater (and he played in a bad conference), I don't think this is a great class and they all have their warts. As a total package, EJ still would be the top physical prospect but obviously he's not as polished as some of the guys like Aaron Murray.

Let me ask this: if EJ was coming out with this year's crop of QB's and we hadn't drafted one in 2013, would anyone be saying anything about the Bills drafting EJ in the 1st..or at all?

You don't remember last year when people were talking about the Bills taking Geno Smith (2nd round), Matt Barkley 4th round), Ryan Nassib (4th round) and Tyler Wilson (4th round) in the first round?

Actually, you do. One loss for non SEC teams means you are out.

Not true for Oklahoma and OSU

You don't remember last year when people were talking about the Bills taking Geno Smith (2nd round), Matt Barkley 4th round), Ryan Nassib (4th round) and Tyler Wilson (4th round) in the first round?

Last year was not the same quality and quantity as this year.

That's really a very good question. I'd guess that Manuel would be at best an afterthought.

The fact remains that people were talking about drafting 4th round QBs in the first round.

In your estimation, what round would EJ go in if he were in this draft?

No one would take him in the first. I don't know where he would fall. 3rd or 4th maybe.