Candidates to replace Marrone next January

BADOLBILZ

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh great. I see the board is getting back to the "I don't like the opinion posted and I'm a veteran poster, so I will insult the poster personally" trend again. There are at least 4 such posts in this topic by veteran posters. If you don't like a post, either skip it or debate the point, you do not need to insult the poster. Being a veteran does not mean you have a responsibility to be demeaning and a bully. Dazzle us with your knowledge and brilliance, not with your rudeness, arrogance and demeaning attitude.

I agree that ad hominem attacks and insults are inappropriate.

But you really don't see anything wrong with a topic entitled: "who will replace marrone as head coach in January 2015?"

It is topics like these that just drag the discourse (and reputation) of the entire board down.

I agree that ad hominem attacks and insults are inappropriate.

But you really don't see anything wrong with a topic entitled: "who will replace marrone as head coach in January 2015?"

It is topics like these that just drag the discourse (and reputation) of the entire board down.

No, it's not. Trust me. Been here since it was Hyperbills and I know why so many of the good posters don't post here any longer.

It's not because they hate speculation.

This is a message board. Some of you people think you are part of the media. Nothing wrong with discussing potential changes to the team here.

It's a forum for discussion about football not discussion about whether it is OK to discuss football topics. :doh:

If you have any question about that perhaps you should ask the person who started TSW.

No, it's not. Trust me. Been here since it was Hyperbills and I know why so many of the good posters don't post here any longer.

It's not because they hate speculation.

This is a message board. Some of you people think you are part of the media. Nothing wrong with discussing potential changes to the team here.

It's a forum for discussion about football not discussion about whether it is OK to discuss football topics. :doh:

If you have any question about that perhaps you should ask the person who started TSW.

I am sorry if I offended you and your thread. Not my intention. I have posted on here myself since 1999.

I just think this thread (which has an obviously negative undertone) crosses the line from legitimate speculation into banal hypothetical scenarios. What's next? A thread about who will replace EJ in 2016 after he flames out.

But to each his own, I guess.

I am sorry if I offended you and your thread. Not my intention. I have posted on here myself since 1999.

I just think this thread (which has an obviously negative undertone) crosses the line from legitimate speculation into banal hypothetical scenarios. What's next? A thread about who will replace EJ in 2016 after he flames out.

But to each his own, I guess.

Who cares if it is positive or negative?

The board is about discussion, not consensus.

The Browns just fired their head coach after one season.

Three coaches were fired yesterday who made the playoffs last season.

If you think speculating about Marrone's future 12 months from now is a "banal hypothetical scenario" then you aren't paying attention to your football news.

For reference.......were we not speculating on Chan's position 12 months before he was fired? Jauron's? These are legitimate topics of discussion on a football board whether you like it or not JR.

I like this thread. Did anyone read the Don Banks piece? It's worth reading in light of the topic of analysis here. I suspect Marrone gets three years, and if he turns it around next season he'll be here a while. But if the QB situation is bad and the Bills finish 4-12/5-11, I could see it ending quickly.

That's not being offensive to Marrone, btw - it's simply reflects what Don Banks says: if the QB position fails, you're out.

Also, as Badol points out, Chud lasted one year, but Schiano only lasted two. In both cases, the QB position failed.

Edited by dave mcbride

Why wait until January? Do it when the Texans did this year and get a head start? The Bills will likely have a losing record by then.

It all depends on Ralph. Marrone is a Brandon (Syracuse) boy and Brandon is a Ralph boy, so if those fellas are still in charge, there will be little point in changing coaches...they'll just get another Marrone clone.

If there is new ownership, everything opens up: Marrone is gone and one of the big boys comes in. It's hard to hope for new ownership because we all know what that means, but that is basically what meaningful changes in coaching will take.

I like this thread. Did anyone read the Don Banks piece? It's worth reading in light of the topic of analysis here. I suspect Marrone gets three years, and if he turns it around next season he'll be here a while. But if the QB situation is bad and the Bills finish 4-12/5-11, I could see it ending quickly.

That's not being offensive to Marrone, btw - it's simply reflects what Don Banks says: if the QB position fails, you're out.

Also, as Badol points out, Chud lasted one year, but Schiano only lasted two. In both cases, the QB position failed.

I agree with you on the 2 year life theory if Marrone and staff cannot turn around the QB/Offense situation. I do not believe Russ will have patience for a third year after 2 years of losing if that is what happens. This would actually be an interesting discussion. I think the original post is ridiculous. JMO.

I agree with you on the 2 year life theory if Marrone and staff cannot turn around the QB/Offense situation. I do not believe Russ will have patience for a third year after 2 years of losing if that is what happens. This would actually be an interesting discussion. I think the original post is ridiculous. JMO.

It's sort of built into the OP's premise, I'd guess. But, say the Bills pass on another rookie QB that lights it up, go all-in with EJ next year and he not only doesn't make the quantum leap forward but regresses badly. With the coaching carousel seemingly getting even faster now, then there may be an argument that Marrone and Hackett would be undone by a major EJ egg laying season (say a 2-14 season).

The Bills will need to be more than status-quo and business-as-usual to break out of their funk. Who knows if the above meltdown is likely or not. Do they let their best players go because the market price is "too high" and backfill with more Aaron Maybinesque draft picks? Or do they finally make decisions that add depth and increase the collective talent of the team?

This beats the daily franken' threads that suggest that adding parts like Megatron or Jimmy Graham clones will rocket the Bills to the playoffs. The Bills receiving corps has to be among the most underutilized due to qb mediocrity.

Voltron don't move without a head. And coaching is irrelevant without a professional qb,

No qb, no bueno.

Edited by Wayne Fontes

Man, can't we just see another year... see how the team responds. See if EJ progresses. Even a discussion to replace him is silly at this point.

We don't know yet... He could be the next Bill Cower or Vince Lombardi...or he could be the next Rich Kotite/Hank Bullough/Marty Mornhinweg.

What scares me is he could be Chan Gailey... just competent enough, but not great to get amazing results out of average guys.

Who cares if it is positive or negative?

The board is about discussion, not consensus.

The Browns just fired their head coach after one season.

Three coaches were fired yesterday who made the playoffs last season.

If you think speculating about Marrone's future 12 months from now is a "banal hypothetical scenario" then you aren't paying attention to your football news.

For reference.......were we not speculating on Chan's position 12 months before he was fired? Jauron's? These are legitimate topics of discussion on a football board whether you like it or not JR.

It doesn't feel like speculation on Marrone's future. It feels like another "Marrone sucks, is in over his head, and should be fired" post. If you are looking for legitimate discussion, then maybe ask a question such as, "Why do you think Marrone will or will not have more success next year (substantive analysis only)?"

This beats the daily franken' threads that suggest that adding parts like Megatron or Jimmy Graham clones will rocket the Bills to the playoffs. The Bills receiving corps has to be among the most underutilized due to qb mediocrity.

Voltron don't move without a head. And coaching is irrelevant without a professional qb,

No qb, no bueno.

It's even that way in college now. They were talking about it last night on one of the bowl games.

Mack Brown won a national championship and played in another championship game at Texas but his next batch of QB recruits falled and now he is gone.

You've got to be all-in on improving your QB position.

It's even that way in college now. They were talking about it last night on one of the bowl games.

Mack Brown won a national championship and played in another championship game at Texas but his next batch of QB recruits falled and now he is gone.

You've got to be all-in on improving your QB position.

You can see it in FL too. Since Tebow left the Gators haven't been able to bring in any top recruits at QB and have been on a steady decline while the noles have had progressively better QB's with a record to match. Mushcamp is on the hot seat while Fisher was just extended.

Edited by Acantha

I actually like this thread.

I can't find the post, but when Marrone was hired... The poster wrote a post dedicating the headlines will read, "Doug Moron gets fired!"

The poster predicted Marrone would be fired by year two and the Bills will be facing 16 seasons of lost dreams and hopes

Sadly, that posters prediction might come true.

But, I hope it doesn't!

What prompts me to even post in this thread is the fact that ST coach Danny Crossman is still with the team. 30th in special teams shouldn't be tolerated, and this assistant coach should have gotten the boot the same way his punter was cut during the season. This is very similar to Gailey keeping DC George Edwards and expecting different results, and then hiring Wannstedt.

So many mistakes in his first year that were blatantly obvious to so many posters here before they even happened. I kinda doubt this HC gets more then two years if his team fails again next season.

This off season should be very telling as to if this coaching staff will succeed in 2014, or not. Its not just about EJ either, as the QB's supporting cast and run defense are desperate for upgrading.

Edited by FeartheLosing