Worst thing that could happen this offseason??

Oberyn

Seriously started hearing this week that Pettine is getting some buzz as a head coaching candidate. Don't know about you all, but losing Pettine is the worst thing I could imagine happening this offseason. I know that via some statistics the Bills D was average this year, but this is the first time in a long time the Bills looked like a modern defense, and I only expect them to get better from here. Where the team ranked in Sacks and turnovers, as well as the league wide recogniztion shown by getting three defensive players into the pro-bowl, shows me just how far this defense has come.

Who's got something worse that could happen than losing Pettine??

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be surprised if Pettine got a head coaching job this year...he may and prob will get interviews but i dont see him getting a head coaching job just yet

the worst thing i could see is Marrone not making any changes to his staff saying something like they just need to coach better bla bla bla

Everyone talks about "coaching trees" and how this coach branched off of this coach, blah, blah, blah. Anthony Weaver (D Line coach) and Jim O'Neil (Linebackers) both coached with Pettine at the Jets. They already know his system. Pettine coached for Rex. So, in effect, Jim O'Neil and Weaver come from the same coaching tree as Rex. If Pettine goes somewhere, we still have coaches in our own ranks who are familiar with (and possibly more creative than) Pettine. If it happened, it happens. This is not our biggest concern (in my humble opinion).

Well, just so you know, it's not like this was something I came up with on my own. Was watching NFL network yesterday morning before the games and someone mentioned Pettine as a HC candidate. Plus, even though we in the Buffalo market are hyper-critical of everything this team doesn, nationally our Defense is getting a lot of respect.

The game yesterday is a great example. The Bills allowed about 375 yards to one of the top offenses in the NFL (ranked 7th in yrds/gm according to NFL.com) while forcing 3 fumbles and a muffed punt. Bills get even one of those balls on the ground, we allow even less yards to said top ranking offense and the score would have been quite a bit closer. But here on this forum no one cares that we held Brady to only 122 passing yards and all we are focusing on is Blount rumbling for 189.

Anyway, BringBackFergie does make a good point, and hopefully someone else can step in and continue what Pettine does should he leave. I'm just afraid that contination of a defensive system and getting buy-in from defensive players is the type of thing that is easier said than done, esp if the geniuses in the Bills FO decide to bring in a DC from another organization.

Seriously started hearing this week that Pettine is getting some buzz as a head coaching candidate. Don't know about you all, but losing Pettine is the worst thing I could imagine happening this offseason. I know that via some statistics the Bills D was average this year, but this is the first time in a long time the Bills looked like a modern defense, and I only expect them to get better from here. Where the team ranked in Sacks and turnovers, as well as the league wide recogniztion shown by getting three defensive players into the pro-bowl, shows me just how far this defense has come.

Who's got something worse that could happen than losing Pettine??

Pettine proved his worth away from Rex so kudos to him but it's still all about the QB.

The worst thing would be to not bring another legit franchise prospect in to compete with Manuel and Thad.

Anyone who thinks that EJ needs all the snaps he can get to be any good apparently missed what Nick Foles did despite limited snaps.

Competition is very good.

You know, it's funny - I remember when Marrone was putting together his staff, the only hire I could not understand was Crossman. I mean Hackett was questionable, but I read a lot of pundits talking about how he had buzz from a lot of other teams/HCs and not just Marrone for his offensive gameplanning ability. Crossman just straight made no sense and looked like a terrible hire, as he was awful in Detroit and was just about to be fired before Marrone gave him the chance to "be released so he could join the Bills staff" instead. Sadly, he has exactly lived up to expectations as the Bills have the worst special teams in the country, and, unlike offense or defense, there is no "learning curve" excuse to justify the pitiful perfromance of that unit, just horrendous coaching.

So Hondo, I can see your point. If Crossman is not let go, not only will it mean that the Bills are destined to have another year of awful special teams but it will tell us that Marrone, instead of really caring about winning, actually cares most about being a nice guy to his friends.

Edited by Oberyn

The game yesterday is a great example. The Bills allowed about 375 yards to one of the top offenses in the NFL (ranked 7th in yrds/gm according to NFL.com) while forcing 3 fumbles and a muffed punt. Bills get even one of those balls on the ground, we allow even less yards to said top ranking offense and the score would have been quite a bit closer. But here on this forum no one cares that we held Brady to only 122 passing yards and all we are focusing on is Blount rumbling for 189.

i love the job Pettine has done here - creating an aggressive D that forces opponents to account for how and when we might attack them. in this current NFL, i think it's an absolute necessity. the problem with yesterday's game is that the Pat's OC (McDaniels) came up with a gameplan that kept our D on it's heels - using our observed tendencies against us. the Pats rushed over 40 times, and our D-line took part in less than 20 tackles. to me, that means our LBs were out of position to keep things stacked up near the LOS. i don't think it's a secret that a Ryan D bites hard on whatever keys their opponents gives them, but when they crossed us up, our D coaches didn't pick it up quickly. the rain didn't help, but yesterday it seemed that getting to our second level was far too easy, for far too long.

oh sorry, back to the point of the post.. i think drafting another QB this spring would be counter-productive

Edited by BackInDaDay

I hope to see the following occur - in no particular order:

• Fire Crossman, get a proven ST Coach - DeHaven would be an upgrade. Where's Bobby April? Someone of that ilk. (I like Marrone, but I will be VERY disappointed if he doesn't replace Crossman.)
  • Re-sign Byrd to a L-T Deal.
  • Get a run-stuffing LB.
  • Get a tall/fast receiver
  • Upgrade at left guard
  • IF they are unsure of Manual, bring in another QB until they are sure about someone!

I hope to see the following occur - in no particular order:

• Fire Crossman, get a proven ST Coach - DeHaven would be an upgrade. Where's Bobby April? Someone of that ilk. (I like Marrone, but I will be VERY disappointed if he doesn't replace Crossman.)
  • Re-sign Byrd to a L-T Deal.
  • Get a run-stuffing LB.
  • Get a tall/fast receiver
  • Upgrade at left guard
  • IF they are unsure of Manual, bring in another QB until they are sure about someone!

Bobby April is currently the Special Teams coach for an Oakland team who's ST unit is ranked worse than ours. Imagine that.

Marrone and Manuel being back for year 2, I can't think of a reason to be less excited about next year than that!

Yup!

Brittle, fragile, skills-challenged, injury-prone QB EJ Manuel + .500 college level head coach in Doug Marrone, et al, does not = success!

:bag:

Edited by PearlHowardman