Worst thing that could happen this offseason??

Oberyn

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Fox pregame they also had a list of potential coaches and Pettine's name was listed. However he was ranked as the #4 Def coord, alos listed 4 offense coord and 4 either x coaches or collage coaches likely to get interviews and/or jobs. So likely that would rank him overall someplace betwen #9 and 12. They also had only one college coach listed, OBrian from Penn Stat and only two ex-coaches. Likely by the time everything is said and done there will be a couple more suprising names showing up on lists.

Considering the team was 6-10, defense looked very good at times, but awful other times, I'd put the likelihood of Pettine going anywhere else as low.

Well, just so you know, it's not like this was something I came up with on my own. Was watching NFL network yesterday morning before the games and someone mentioned Pettine as a HC candidate. Plus, even though we in the Buffalo market are hyper-critical of everything this team doesn, nationally our Defense is getting a lot of respect.

Anyone who thinks that EJ needs all the snaps he can get to be any good apparently missed what Nick Foles did despite limited snaps.

Competition is very good.

Foles backed up a veteran QB who didn't need attention. He's had the luxury of learning from two very good offensive coaching staffs, who could focus their developmental eyes on him alone.

this was the plan here, or it should have been. maybe our front office wanted to sell us a new era so bad, that their heads were filled with visions of 1st year QBs running 'read options' - terrorizing defenses across the league. maybe they salivated over the opportunity to push Manuel into that role, and Kolb's concussion opened the door to rationalize starting EJ.

whatever the reason, one fulltime QB project at a time, please... and in keeping with the 'worst thing that could happen' topic, i'd add not getting a veteran QB coach added to the staff to take on our 'project'

Well, just so you know, it's not like this was something I came up with on my own. Was watching NFL network yesterday morning before the games and someone mentioned Pettine as a HC candidate. Plus, even though we in the Buffalo market are hyper-critical of everything this team doesn, nationally our Defense is getting a lot of respect.

The game yesterday is a great example. The Bills allowed about 375 yards to one of the top offenses in the NFL (ranked 7th in yrds/gm according to NFL.com) while forcing 3 fumbles and a muffed punt. Bills get even one of those balls on the ground, we allow even less yards to said top ranking offense and the score would have been quite a bit closer. But here on this forum no one cares that we held Brady to only 122 passing yards and all we are focusing on is Blount rumbling for 189.

Anyway, BringBackFergie does make a good point, and hopefully someone else can step in and continue what Pettine does should he leave. I'm just afraid that contination of a defensive system and getting buy-in from defensive players is the type of thing that is easier said than done, esp if the geniuses in the Bills FO decide to bring in a DC from another organization.

Wait...what??

Yesterday was an example of a D that was totally unprepared for what, given the weather, everyone knew on earth knew was coming. You see, THAT'S why "no one cares that we held Brady to only 122 passing yards and all we are focusing on is Blount rumbling for 189". That was the pats obvious gameplan going in and Pettine had absolutley no answer for NE running the same plays over and over again.

Yeah, don't make Pettine put that game on his HC job search resume.

Foles backed up a veteran QB who didn't need attention. He's had the luxury of learning from two very good offensive coaching staffs, who could focus their developmental eyes on him alone.

Yes....Mike Vick: accurate thrower, solid reader of defenses, legendary protector of the ball---he certainly didn't need any attention from the coaching staff.

this was the plan here, or it should have been. maybe our front office wanted to sell us a new era so bad, that their heads were filled with visions of 1st year QBs running 'read options' - terrorizing defenses across the league. maybe they salivated over the opportunity to push Manuel into that role, and Kolb's concussion opened the door to rationalize starting EJ.

whatever the reason, one fulltime QB project at a time, please... and in keeping with the 'worst thing that could happen' topic, i'd add not getting a veteran QB coach added to the staff to take on our 'project'

Foles had to learn two different offenses in two years. He had to compete against not only Vick, but also Matt Barkley who Kellly was familiar with and very high on from his years as an opponent.

So Foles was certainly not the sole focus of ANYTHING. He just flat out made the most of very limited opportunities.

EJ needs to be handed the starting job like he needs another knee injury.

Competition is uncomfortable but it brings out the best in athletes.

I agree that they need a QB coach......how they didn't hire one I can't understand.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Pettine proved his worth away from Rex so kudos to him but it's still all about the QB.

The worst thing would be to not bring another legit franchise prospect in to compete with Manuel and Thad.

Anyone who thinks that EJ needs all the snaps he can get to be any good apparently missed what Nick Foles did despite limited snaps.

In 2012, Foles’ first season playing QB in the NFL – he played in 7 games, completed 60% of his passes for 6 TDs and 5 INTs, lost 5 fumbles, had a QBR of 43.1 and a Rating of 79.1.

In 2013, Manuel’s first season playing QB in the NFL – he played in 10 games, completed 58% of his passes for 11 TDs and 9 INTs, lost 3 fumbles, had a QBR of 42.3 and a Rating of 77.7

Not much of a difference to me. Foles really took a step forward this year...so, was it competition or having a year or so to develop?

In 2012, Foles’ first season playing QB in the NFL – he played in 7 games, completed 60% of his passes for 6 TDs and 5 INTs, lost 5 fumbles, had a QBR of 43.1 and a Rating of 79.1.

In 2013, Manuel’s first season playing QB in the NFL – he played in 10 games, completed 58% of his passes for 11 TDs and 9 INTs, lost 3 fumbles, had a QBR of 42.3 and a Rating of 77.7

Not much of a difference to me. Foles really took a step forward this year...so, was it competition or having a year or so to develop?

It MOST CERTAINLY didn't hurt.

One of the big excuses for failure is having to learn a new offense and he had to learn two of them in his first two seasons.

Then he had to beat out two others for the starting position.......and lost.......and still was ready to take over when his opportunity arose.

Foles basically put up a historic season in year 2 and probably had not more first team snaps when he took off this year than EJ had at the end of this season.

Get EJ some competition and let the best man win.

One of the big excuses for failure is having to learn a new offense and he had to learn two of them in his first two seasons.

Then he had to beat out two others for the starting position.......and lost.......and still was ready to take over when his opportunity arose.

Foles basically put up a historic season in year 2 and probably had not more first team snaps when he took off this year than EJ had at the end of this season.

Where does Chip Kelly fit into this?

He was in the exact same position last year as Manuel was this year and they posted similar numbers. He posted tremendous numbers this year in his second season. There are a lot of reasons for that, such as maturity, practicing and playing at an NFL level for two years, staying healthy, playing one of the weakest (if not the weakest) defensive schedules in the NFL, etc; however, I don't see competition as one of them.

Edited by billsfan1959

He was in the exact same position last year as Manuel was this year and they posted similar numbers. He posted tremendous numbers this year in his second season. There are a lot of reasons for that, such as maturity, practicing and playing at an NFL level for two years, staying healthy, playing one of the weakest (if not the weakest) defensive schedules in the NFL, etc; however, I don't see competition as one of them.

I think you miss the point............the competition and lack of playing time didn't prevent him from making a huge jump.

And he had a number of obstacles that EJ is not going to have..........like having his coach get fired and having to learn a new offense in year 2.

Foles example absolutely blows up the notion that coddling is a pre-requisite.

I want a player who is focused on outperforming another player........not performing up to the expectations of fans and media.

Marrone was supposed to be a QB-whisperer of sorts himself.

I think Marrone and Hackett could learn a lot from what Kelly has brought to the NFL.

The Bills personnel is well-suited to run an offense like Philly's with better quarterback play.

I think you miss the point............the competition and lack of playing time didn't prevent him from making a huge jump.

And he had a number of obstacles that EJ is not going to have..........like having his coach get fired and having to learn a new offense in year 2.

Foles example absolutely blows up the notion that coddling is a pre-requisite.

I want a player who is focused on outperforming another player........not performing up to the expectations of fans and media.

I didn't miss your point. I just happen to disagree with you - on several points: (1) I do not think that "competition" is a prominent reason for Foles' jump in performance this year. (2) I do not agree with you on this idea that Foles was focused on "outperforming another player." I believe he was probably focused on the same thing as Manuel - being the best player he could be. (3) I do not agree with you on this notion that Manuel was coddled.

I believe that Manuel's performance this year was about what we could have asked for a rookie without the opportunity to practice and play consistently - which I think is more important than competition

I believe that Manuel's performance this year was about what we could have asked for a rookie without the opportunity to practice and play consistently - which I think is more important than competition

Well Foles is a prime example of that not being the case. He got few reps and lots of competition.

Well Foles is a prime example of that not being the case. He got few reps and lots of competition.

Foles backed up a veteran whose play eventually slowed to match the pace of the defenses he torched when younger. Vick is a fully functional QB with his fair share of warts, but there is little Reid or Kelly could teach him other than the play book.

as a rookie, Foles received the attention of Reids' staff as any promising drafted QB would.

this year he assumed the same role for Kelly, and has flourished in the starter's role when Vick went down.

Barkley is as ready as Tuel to play QB in the NFL. there was never a chance he was taking Foles spot. luckily for him, the talented Foles has executed Kelly's offense at a high level - that Kelly and his coaches had more time to attend to the Barkley project.

it's safe to say Foles will be on the Eagle roster next season, i wouldn't say the same for Barkley.

indeed..

Wow you're way off on this.

Foles was essentially a 4-year starter in college and threw over 500 more passes in college than did EJ.

Then as a rookie Foles threw more balls in his rookie season than did EJ in his rookie season.

You're exactly wrong: The one thing EJ needs to improve is more snaps.

BTW, I posted several times last year that I thought Nick Foles was gonna become a good QB.

My prediction was not exactly widely accepted.

However anyone who actually objectively watches rookie QBs (not you) could see Foles had the head for the game and simply needed more experience. It was obvious, at least to me.