Woods & Goodwin Top 2 Bills Wr's next year?

Jerry Jabber

I asked Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com about why Graham is being used more than Goodwin and my question made it to the Fan Friday post:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/12/27/fan-friday-12-27/

"5 – Chris,

I’m wondering why the Bills are using Graham more than Goodwin? IMO, the Bills are not effectively using Goodwin, as they continue to throw him an occasional deep pass to him every game. In the last Jets game, where Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods were out due to injuries, Goodwin had his best receiving game of the year as Goodwin was catching passes all over the field, and IMO, the Bills had one of their best offensive outputs of the season. I feel Goodwin can be more effective catching passes in the slot, and other parts of the field, besides going for the deep routes a couple of times a game. So far, Graham has proven to be very inconsistent as he has dropped numerous passes, and does not get the same consistent separation as Goodwin does. At this point, it seems EJ Manuel has more chemistry with Woods and Goodwin, than he does with Johnson and Graham. I would rather see Woods and Goodwin as the Bills top 2 WR’s, with Johnson in the slot as this could help Manuel’s development.

Thanks for all the hard work that you do covering the Bills!

CB: Goodwin has produced when given more time on the field. I think he has demonstrated dependable hands this season even in traffic. The slot might be an interesting spot for Goodwin to line up more often moving forward, though Woods could be effective inside too. The depth chart at receiver that you’re suggesting could shift in that direction going into next season. It’ll all come down to competition at training camp."

Goodwin has earned at least a top 3 spot on the depth chart based on his performance, but I can't see him being dependable enough health-wise.

I agree. It's all theoretical. The guy seems like he will always be banged up, like roscoe. Let's see him play 16 games before counting on him.

Say what you will about graham, but at least he stays healthy.

I agree. It's all theoretical. The guy seems like he will always be banged up, like roscoe. Let's see him play 16 games before counting on him.

I hear what you're saying about Goodwin, but in regards to Graham being healthy, what good it is if he's healthy but is barely effective?

What does top two mean in today's nfl? Most teams have a top three.

I've seen a lot of talk about drafting a WR earlier, I hope not. Personally, I think they are fine with who they have. I'd draft one of the stud TEs in R1 instead (amaro or Ebron, et al). I hope they keep chandler too. Imagine the red zone match up with 2 WR (sj and woods) and 2 TEs, chandler and Ebron, and FJ in the backfield?

The 2014 draft is loaded with TEs and OTs, I'd like to see them go with those two positions in the first two rounds.

How hard is it to stay healthy when all you do is run around all game? Lol

They still need a legit number 1 receiver and a real threat at TE. I like Chandler but they need an upgrade

I initially didn't think there was a chance Stevie wouldn't be here next year but the more I think about it the more I think we've seen the last of him in a Bills uniform. He clearly isn't worth what he makes and is always injured.

Edited by Max997

Good post topic. I'm fine w/ Woods. But Goodwin or TJ scare me as a #2. Neither are dependable enough due to injury and inconsistent play, respectively. We must add a WR either via draft or FA. Emanual Sanders from PIT would be a good add, we should have the cap space. Then cut TJ. He's the only FA WR I'm aware of as I have yet to check the list. Or grab Lee from USC if available in RD 1. We have a few huge needs, and I think adding a WR is one of them .

They still need a legit number 1 receiver and a real threat at TE. I like Chandler but they need an upgrade

I initially didn't think there was a chance Stevie wouldn't be here next year but the more I think about it the more I think we've seen the last of him in a Bills uniform. He clearly isn't worth what he makes and is always injured.

This is what I've posted for quite some time. An athletic tight end who has great hands, another bigger, taller WR, and then use Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin. Just about every team, but NE has at least one of their receivers as bigger, and taller, and typically an excellent TE. It would make EJ or the next draft QB so much easier. Dump Graham. He sucks. He's worn out his welcome, and keep as back ups Hogan, and maybe Easley due to ST.