Stevie Johnson not playing this weekend

jumbalaya

Without trying to be morbid.... Stevie gutted out the Jax game even though his mother just died. Kudos for Stevie, but he really should not have suited up nor should the team have allowed it. Your head is not anywhere into a game. But he is still not playing two weeks later against the Pats because they buried her on the 27th, about 12 or 13 days after she died. I totally understand him not playing this weekend because he needs to be with his family and he will have missed a lot of practice, etc.

But isn't 12 days an unusually long time between death and burial? It's almost two full weeks. Does anyone else find this odd?

Without trying to be morbid.... Stevie gutted out the Jax game even though his mother just died. Kudos for Stevie, but he really should not have suited up nor should the team have allowed it. Your head is not anywhere into a game. But he is still not playing two weeks later against the Pats because they buried her on the 27th, about 12 or 13 days after she died. I totally understand him not playing this weekend because he needs to be with his family and he will have missed a lot of practice, etc.

But isn't 12 days an unusually long time between death and burial? It's almost two full weeks. Does anyone else find this odd?

No because it happened to me last year. It took that long to bury my father. Which surprised me.

most it has to do with funeral homes. Takes time for paper work to go through.

football, no matter how much money is involved and no matter how insane most fans are, is just a game. it's a job for these guys. and yes there are only 16 games a year, but they all dedicate themselves to this game and sacrifice a lot to do what they do. the loss of not just a distant relative, but a mother, and a very young mother at that, is tragic on a level that i am thankful to have no comprehension of whatsoever. not knowing anything about the circumstances, it seems not only devestating, but completely unexpected. i would really hope that nobody is questioning stevie's priorities right now.

It is sick to think about but we all know if the Bills were in the playoff chase Stevie would be playing. You can say it is just a game but it isn't. It is a very successful moneymaking business and it is a job.

I also think it is fair to say that anyone going through a loss can find work and being around friends a reasonable way to cope with grief. Sometimes being around family makes the grieving process harder. Everyone's family and coping mechanisms are different.

If he played he should not be criticized as uncaring and if he didn't play he should not be criticized for not caring about the team. There is no right or wrong.

No because it happened to me last year. It took that long to bury my father. Which surprised me.

most it has to do with funeral homes. Takes time for paper work to go through.

This, plus, she was a relatively young woman and died suddenly, it would not be unusual if authorities wanted a post-mortem to determine a cause of death and if the family also wanted the same, for closure.

He's not playing for three reasons:

1. He's devastated and greiving. Her death was unexpected.

2. The game has no real meaning.

3. See #1 above.

For all the talk about Marrone being a hard*ss and petty disciplinarian, he's doing the correct, compassionate thing.

I couldn't agree more. That is the right thing to do. 48 is so young. I was devastated when my mother passed 6 years ago and she was 71. I'm glad Stevie is not playing as it shows he has character and understands priorities in life.

We have enough talent at WR to win this meaningless game. I want to win badly as I hate the Patriots and would love for this team to feel as if they are creating momentum. To finish 4-2 in the AFCE would b e awesome.

Leave the man alone.

Fans should be concerned about his play on the field.

He's done plenty there to be praised and criticized.

If he's still a Bill next year, let's just hope this doesn't mess with his head like it apparently did to Marcel Dareus when his brother died.

football, no matter how much money is involved and no matter how insane most fans are, is just a game. it's a job for these guys. and yes there are only 16 games a year, but they all dedicate themselves to this game and sacrifice a lot to do what they do. the loss of not just a distant relative, but a mother, and a very young mother at that, is tragic on a level that i am thankful to have no comprehension of whatsoever. not knowing anything about the circumstances, it seems not only devestating, but completely unexpected. i would really hope that nobody is questioning stevie's priorities right now.

I believe that the OP is questioning only one thing. What is the 'normal' time between death and burial.

She was 48 years old and the death was a surprise. I would guess that Stevie had more resources than any of the other relatives so they relied on him. I'd also guess he's never buried anyone before. 12 days is a long time but not all that shocking to me.

Unfortunately I have buried several family members in the last few years, one of them extremely unexpectedly, and in my experience 12 days is an exceptionally long time. However given the fact that the game is meaningless, SJ13's chronic injury issues, and the fact that it was his Mom I have no issue whatsoever with him missing this game as well.

Leave the man alone.

Fans should be concerned about his play on the field.

He's done plenty there to be praised and criticized.

If he's still a Bill next year, let's just hope this doesn't mess with his head like it apparently did to Marcel Dareus when his brother died.

I was also going to bring up the Dareus bit. He tried playing last year and I think his play was affected for weeks, perhaps even the whole rest of the season. Stevie was obviously not effective on the field against JAX and wouldn't have been this week or last week. We just have to see what happens with him going into next season.

I'm not sure why, but I've been told that this amount of days is not unusual in the African-American community. I was talking to my secretary about somebody this past summer because I couldn't believe that the person wasn't buried yet, and she told me this.