Rosenthal bold face lies about EJ in an NFL.com…

1billsfan

There is no reason to believe he is telling a "bold faced lie" here. His opinion may differ greatly from yours and many hard core Bills fans who really Billieve Manuel is a "franchise", or at least a viable NFL starting QB.

Personally I have not seen much so far that leads me to believe Manuel is a slam dunk franchise QB. Or for that matter even a good starting QB. But the person earlier who graded Manuel as "incomplete" rings true with me. With the injuries (which are themselves reason for concern) and him being a rookie it really is too early to know what the Bills have in him. Which really does put the Bills FO in a bit of a bind when it comes to the upcoming draft.

And we can do is wait, hope and trust that the Bills FO ends up doing the smart thing, whatever that is.

: )

yep

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way he has been worse than Smith, Henne, Pryor / McGloin or the carousel of awful starters in Minnesota or indeed than either Campbell or Weeden in Cleveland. Other than that I struggle to find anyone he has outperformed. I think the "not remotely ready" comment is over the top though. He has looked exactly what he is - a raw rookie with a lot of the tools but not enough consistency. The thing is I think there is a top 4 - Manning, Rodgers, Brady and Brees then a group including Wilson, Big Ben, Rivers, Luck and (despite a down year) Matt Ryan and Eli Manning and then there is everyone else. And the everyone else is much of a muchness and I think EJ is already somewhere towards the back of that pack, but he can move up that pack in year 2 without question. If he doesn't then the Bills have to make a major decision and I think this new front office will.

Edited by GunnerBill

He really did not look all that ready in most of his starts. Sure, he didn't look particularly miserable in all of them but there was not one game this year where he carried the team on his back like a franchise QB is supposed to do every now and then.

Additionally, who the heck cares how Geno or Glennon have looked in comparison. Those are not our QBs. Just because they come from the same draft class does not mean that their play (or lack their of) has any significance when evaluating EJ.

Any analysis that does not compare EJ to other NFL rookie QBs is unrealistic. I'd pick Flacco and Eli Manning as they have recently won Super Bowls with their fans doubting they had what it takes and talking about replacing them right up until they did so. Now they eat near 20 million in salary cap space and may never have a team good enough to win it again. They both had rather unspectacular rookie years as well. EJ often looks indecisive and unaware, especially in shotgun sets. Rookies tend to look that way and some never grow beyond it. It's tough to know when patience ceases to be a virtue and becomes delusional but it's not during the first year.

EJ is better than Smith but behind Glennon (overall season stats). His injury in preseason slowed his progress. Game situations help rookie QBs. The injury in the Cleveland game further delayed his development. Give him the benefit of doubt and a full off season and preseason to improve his passing and get in sync with the WRs. The off hand remark at the end of the article can be ignored. I would agree if EJ had an in jury free year and looked liked he did in his last few starts.

The issue this year was never about Manuel being ready to be the guy. This was his year to prepare to be the guy.

The Bills, with an average QB, would have made the playoffs this year. So what. Making the playoffs is not the goal. Winning the SB is the goal. Average QBs hardly ever win the SB. Trent Dilfer is the exception that proves the rule.

For the Bills to made a deep playoff run next year, they'll need to do just as well with the next draft as they did this draft. They can't spare another 1st rounder on a QB, not when they need a killer LB and 3 offensive lineman. And I don't think the Bills are thinking QB in the first round. The Bills have convinced themselves that Manuel can be prepared and trained to be a SB-winning QB. OK, they're the pros, and their view is what matters. I would have a lot more confidence about this is they hadn't convinced themselves of the very same thing with Fitz not long ago. Granted the guys in charge now seem to have a clue whereas the guys a few years ago didn't. Still, I'm a skeptic.

To take that one step further I would even say that Glennon was in a nice position where he didn't start the season and got to sit behind a veteran for a portion of it

I don't think fans understand just how much that can help a rookie QB to get his feet under him.....EJ didn't have the luxury of that

Actually he's watched quite a few games.

…article.

"The Bills are in a tough spot with Manuel. He missed too much playing time and didn't look remotely ready when he started."

This is an article from nfl.com. This is not from some fanboy blog. What, there are no editors at nfl.com to tell Gregg that this comment on EJ Manuel was blatantly false? EJ has had FIVE games with a QB rating above 86. Three of those they won and a fourth game was the Atlanta game where he led the Bills on two game winning type drives that were blown up by receiver fumbles.

http://www.nfl.com/n...earend-rankings

This is what passes for quality writing at nfl.com? I won't even get into the silly rankings of the bottom guys who he considers better than Manuel.

I agree that statement in itself is pretty dumb...

I do think the Bills are in a tough situation though all things considered...Especially if EJ does not play Sunday...Tough to gauge his progress when he's absent this much... B-)

…article.

"The Bills are in a tough spot with Manuel. He missed too much playing time and didn't look remotely ready when he started."

This is an article from nfl.com. This is not from some fanboy blog. What, there are no editors at nfl.com to tell Gregg that this comment on EJ Manuel was blatantly false? EJ has had FIVE games with a QB rating above 86. Three of those they won and a fourth game was the Atlanta game where he led the Bills on two game winning type drives that were blown up by receiver fumbles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304038/article/quarterback-index-yearend-rankings

This is what passes for quality writing at nfl.com? I won't even get into the silly rankings of the bottom guys who he considers better than Manuel.

What exactly did he lie about? He stated his opinion which I completely agree with that EJ has not looked ready to play in the NFL

Basing ur opinion of EJ or defending him on his QB rating is ridiculous. He has simply not shown anything on the field especially on the road to make me think he is anything more then average

EJ hasn't shown any pocket presence at all which to me is something a QB either has or he doesn't. He struggles with accuracy, doesn't come close to completing his deep throws and somehow has a lot of trouble completing screen passes

Edited by Max997

…article.

http://www.nfl.com/n...earend-rankings

That's not a lie, it's an opinion. I disagree with him, but he's not lying by any means.

I really don't consider it the same thing......he watched them from a injured position which means he wasn't getting reps.....not even with the scout team.

Actually.....accuracy can be fixed if the problem is footwork......and that is EJ's main issue.

When EJ sets his feet....his accuracy goes up in a big way. He would really benefit from a QB coach

CodeMonkey you are right on. I don't see how anyone could disagree with you. He hasn't shown that he can become a good NFL quarterback nor can I say he is bust at this time. The bad thing is if he isn't the guy the Bills will have wasted the 2014 season and will have to start from scratch in 2015. After 14 seasons without playoffs I don't think Bills fans can stand to WASTE another year. Oh well it is what it is.

EJ gets an "I" for incomplete. we just don't know. and we will burn next season finding out. lets hope he is not Ponder 2.0. We shall see.