This team is better than past teams.

BmarvB

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they're not better. It's not like the Bills have been unlucky, they're a legit boring 6-10 team this year.

Offensively, they're significant worse than Gailey while their defense improved.

They're pretty much at the same level as the Jauron teams. Above average defense, lousy offense, no QB, team that irrationally loves their coach.

What are you talking about??

"Ms. Phoenix, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

Honestly though, anyone who can't see this team as drastically different than the previous 13 years is just either letting years of frustration cloud their judgement or chronically negative.

Prior to the beginning of the year, almost all of us would have expected a year that resembled almost exactly what happened. Ups and Downs, erratic rookie QB, no playoffs, but positive signs to next year.

Please refer to my earlier post and explain how the offense has regressed. This is based on nothing.

What I have seen as the ways the offense has gotten worse is CJ was utilized much less effectively, Freddie is a year older and as effective as he was this year, Father Time is undefeated. EJ looked every bit the rookie and can't stay on the field. I do see some hope for the receiving corps as Woods looks like a legit NFL receiver, Goodwin has flashed speed and could turn into a big play maker like we haven't had for a bit although Stevie remains Stevie. Gragg hasn't shown himself to be anywhere near as good as Chandler so we remain average there and as always seems to be the case, the offensive line is a mix of good and bad and blase. I pray for the year we have five legit NFL starters in the line. Playcalling, specifically as regards CJ is worse and I do think the OC has on occasion tried to get cute with the playcalling and over-thought the obvious.

These observations are what I see and very subjective and the numbers may show something else but never forget:

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics." Mark Twain

Yeah, don't let 14 losing seasons get you down!

Heck ....I have been actively watching the Bills since the early seventies....I watch them to have fun..looking for positive things to build on is surely a more rewarding experience than constantly looking for why things won't work.

i have built and sold one company and have built another which is taking off....if you don't discard the negatives and build on the positives you won't get anywhere in building anything successful.....yes it might take years....but thats what you do in life right?

Edited by baskin

No, they're not better. It's not like the Bills have been unlucky, they're a legit boring 6-10 team this year.

Offensively, they're significant worse than Gailey while their defense improved.

They're pretty much at the same level as the Jauron teams. Above average defense, lousy offense, no QB, team that irrationally loves their coach.

+100

Well, we have a chance to be 7-9... but in all likelihood we finish the season at 6-10. Same record doesn't mean "better" no matter what the moral victories are.

Defense has progressed, Offense has regressed. Same ole Bills story, really.

+100

What I have seen as the ways the offense has gotten worse is CJ was utilized much less effectively, Freddie is a year older and as effective as he was this year, Father Time is undefeated. EJ looked every bit the rookie and can't stay on the field. I do see some hope for the receiving corps as Woods looks like a legit NFL receiver, Goodwin has flashed speed and could turn into a big play maker like we haven't had for a bit although Stevie remains Stevie. Gragg hasn't shown himself to be anywhere near as good as Chandler so we remain average there and as always seems to be the case, the offensive line is a mix of good and bad and blase. I pray for the year we have five legit NFL starters in the line. Playcalling, specifically as regards CJ is worse and I do think the OC has on occasion tried to get cute with the playcalling and over-thought the obvious.

These observations are what I see and very subjective and the numbers may show something else but never forget:

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics." Mark Twain

The only thing I agree with is I think CJ Spiller has been most used. As for the rest, you really didn't answer any of the points I raised.

The offense, in games EJ started, averaged more points than the Fitz led offense and scored under 20 points 30% less of the time. Considering EJ is a rookie & we have a first year OC, how is it a regression when the offense actually improved? How does that possibly make sense?

The only thing I agree with is I think CJ Spiller has been most used. As for the rest, you really didn't answer any of the points I raised.

The offense, in games EJ started, averaged more points than the Fitz led offense and scored under 20 points 30% less of the time. Considering EJ is a rookie & we have a first year OC, how is it a regression when the offense actually improved? How does that possibly make sense?

An inability to stay on the field is a regression. Maybe not a regression of talent and a very small sample of one year but the only sample we have. Ej may never miss another game to injury in his career but at this point missing one third of the season/preseason to multiple injuries is troublesome. And since the QB and OC are both rookies was a regression not the realistic expectation? I do not discount the possibility next years QB play and playcalling will improve (in fact I expect/hope both to improve) but I refuse to use next year's potential to rose-color this years performance. As I said, I can't argue the numbers you put up, I can only express what I have seen. Inconsisent playcalling, QB unavailability and O-line holes are all steps back to me.

An inability to stay on the field is a regression. Maybe not a regression of talent and a very small sample of one year but the only sample we have. Ej may never miss another game to injury in his career but at this point missing one third of the season/preseason to multiple injuries is troublesome. And since the QB and OC are both rookies was a regression not the realistic expectation? I do not discount the possibility next years QB play and playcalling will improve (in fact I expect/hope both to improve) but I refuse to use next year's potential to rose-color this years performance. As I said, I can't argue the numbers you put up, I can only express what I have seen. Inconsisent playcalling, QB unavailability and O-line holes are all steps back to me.

Fair enough & I get that based on the last 14 years. But the consistency of us to put up 20+ points this year seems to point to the opposite direction. Hopefully, EJ stays healthy and takes the next step.

You know who really regressed in the NFL this year, Aaron Rogers. Guy is just terrible. Can't help your team with a sling on your arm.

"Ms. Phoenix, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

Well played sir!

Honestly though, anyone who can't see this team as drastically different than the previous 13 years is just either letting years of frustration cloud their judgement or chronically negative.

They're only different because their defense is very aggressive and fun to watch against inferior lines like Miami, especially compared to Jauron's Cover 2 style.

If it's about working hard and always being in games, etc... then no, I don't see it.

You know who really regressed in the NFL this year, Aaron Rogers. Guy is just terrible. Can't help your team with a sling on your arm.

The Packers are a perfect example. His inability to be on the field has definitely caused a regression in the Packers offense. I don't believe anyone could dispute that with a straight face. As an individual has Rogers regressed? Don't know, wasn't the discussion in any way form or fashion. The discussion was the offense, not an individual and having an absentee quarterback affects the offense.

And yes, I recognized the snarky tone but where you erred was in posting a statement that is not directly analogous (an individual's regression versus an offense's regression) but highlights a situation that, I believe, supports my position.

10-6 playoff team next year. We wont suffer the typical rookie mistakes of first year coaching staff and first year QB. We lost a number of games this year because of that, not because we arent talented enough.

On the flip side, they would have to figure out how to eliminate giving up consistently big plays on defense and their inability to get off on 3rd and long. The defense is also yet to figure out stopping the run *consistently*. They have given up 100 yard games to 3rd and 4th stringers and to teams that were @ the bottom rushing the football.

In 2012, they averaged 342.9 yards/ game and scored 21.5 points/game. This year, they average 334.5 yards/ game and 21.3 points/ game. I guess 8 yards less/ game and 0.2 points/ game is a major setback for some.

Furthermore, in games EJ has started, they averaged 22.3 points/ game and only scored less than 20 points 2 out of 10 games, 20%. Last year, they scored less than 20 points in 8 out of 16 games, 50%. Your point is not valid at all.

I prefer to judge what I see when I watch the games not what the stats say in the paper the next day

The offense this year took a step back from last years offense and anyone that watches the games can clearly see that

Try watching the games. You prob bragged that the Bills had one of the best offensive lines too just bc they didn't give up a lot of sacks with Fitz

Edited by Max997

In 2012, they averaged 342.9 yards/ game and scored 21.5 points/game. This year, they average 334.5 yards/ game and 21.3 points/ game. I guess 8 yards less/ game and 0.2 points/ game is a major setback for some.

Furthermore, in games EJ has started, they averaged 22.3 points/ game and only scored less than 20 points 2 out of 10 games, 20%. Last year, they scored less than 20 points in 8 out of 16 games, 50%. Your point is not valid at all.

True...

I'm not sure, outside of some really ill-placed (because after all he is just a Rookie) EJ hating, why folks think this Offense was somehow worse than it was in 2012...I'm not saying it was better either...Definitely is was much, much younger in certain areas, QB most notably...

I'm as skeptical as they come with this team...But let's wait and see how these kids progress in 2014 before we go and make any ridiculous assumptions about how things really are on Offense... B-)

Its interesting how Debbie downers B word about games and throw out stats until the stats don't suit them and then they throw the stats out.........

Its hard for me to blame fans about being negative after decade of losing.....but this years team IS better......both on the stat sheet and the eye test.......how many teams did we play off byes this year? Despite that

- We have beaten some teams that will be in the playoff

- We have a chance to be 500 in our division......its been a while

I want to see what they do this offseason with this offense