Lewis to start / Manuel out

26CornerBlitz

If the Bills Beat NE IN Foxbough with a backup QB and with Stevie and A. Williams out... I will be impressed...very impressed.

But I doubt it will happen. NE needs game for next week off. I expect an ass -kicking from Brady this week. Maybe one of his last ones .

But for once I like the Bills to surprise me, ill take a moral victory this week lol.

We shall see if Marrone can coach this week. We will find out if things have really changed.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you the team doctor?

If so, please let me know as that is the only way I will read past what I bolded.

Just listen to Marrone - the decision to sit EJ is not a medical decision wherein the team doctor says he can't play. He is medically cleared to play. You don't have to be the team doctor, all you really have to do is pay attention

2-2 against playoff teams. I'll take it over EJ.

Thanks Mike Schopp. :lol:

Got any other:

"I don't want to get into the details of the game...because I don't know the details of the game",

or

"I have a show to run, and nobody wants to hear about the Xs and Os discussion...um...because I can't do it, so let's pretend I have a choice instead = I won't do it, and, in fact, let's project my views that "nobody wants to hear it",(read: my inadequacies), on all Bills fans."

analysis for us? :lol:

This board...is not about this sort of "scoreboard analysis".

Honestly, as someone who is still taking a "wait and see" approach to assessing EJ Manuel, and without knowing how serious his injury is, I almost feel like EJ is resting so there is no chance of us heading into the off-season with one of his not so good performances in our craw... just listening to Marrone, it sounds a bit, to me, that he is being a little too over-protective of Manuel. I find it hard to believe, if this was a meaningful game for the Bills (as in "win and we are in" type game) that Manuel wouldn't be starting this Sunday. If he was able to practice all week, and is saying he really wants to play, but Marrone is saying "his lateral movement isn't what I would like it to be, from where I am standing", then ir seems this is an upper-management/coach decision. I have no doubt that the Bills are committed to Manuel being their #1 guy next season (they are not taking a QB in the first 2 rds of the 2014 draft!), but perhaps they feel there is more risk in putting him out there and playing horribly, than there is the chance that he goes out and plays well, and beats the Pats.

EDIT: just saw post above....exactly what I think the Bills are trying to stop

Or, perhaps it's as simple as: I don't want to see a guy get re-injure himself in a game that means so little?

You know...common sense/logic vs. emoting?

EDIT: Not saying you are doing this...you are actually analyzing things, rather than thinking...linear.

Grahams a small wr that can't catch. Terribly small catch radius. if I was a qb I wudnt trust/throw to him either even if he was open because it literally has to be a perfect throw for him to catch

This is a perfectly good assessment of Graham. However, this past game? The balls were way off, or, were thrown into a 50/50 situation, and yeah, Graham didn't win. He didn't lose(i.e. interception) but he didn't win.

EJ Manuel is a China-doll, fragile, brittle QB being coached by a .500 college level coaching staff.

:death:

This is crap. You don't know this at all, and there's exactly 0 evidence that supports this "final conclusion". We aren't even close to having enough to even start the RJ argument, never mind delivering a final verdict on it. This is a perfect example for defining what "outrunning your coverage" means. No surprise considering the source.

OC,, I am agreeing with you on EJ. And, I think you are spot on about Thad too. He doesn't make all the reads, he knows where the ball is going (or where he wants it to go)...the problem is, EJ is much the same. Where I give Thad a slight edge, he will throw that ball no matter what, whereas EJ still hesitates a bit, to make sure the guy is open. Thad is also a bit more decisive when he chooses to pull it down and run the ball.

Call me crazy, but I still feel like EJ has a big chance to improve...I don't think he has come close to meeting his potential. I like Lewis as a back-up..no denying that he adds a sort of frenetic energy to the offense...his teammates seem to respond well to him. There are times when I think Thad gets a little "too excited", which contributes to some of his accuracy issues.

EJ is doing exactly what at rookie QB should be doing = going through every read, and being too slow at it...right now.

Thad, especially last Sunday, began by trying to go through his reads, failed at it, or, realized he couldn't make the throw that some of the reads required, so, he skipped them for the rest of the game.

This is what I saw when I was there, and, this is what I saw watching the game for the 4th time on Rewind.

If I have to get out the "fancy pics" and show posters....dare me. When whoever gets done talking? The above will still be true. So, they can keep talking, I have plenty of patience...but I also have a handy gif creator and my Rewind account is paid in full. :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

EJ is not RGIII, but as far as the coaching staff is concerned he is. Their success or failure is tied to him, so looking at it from their point of view, risking him in a meaningless game, against a team that needs the win to get an edge on home field advantage, would seem to be pushing their luck a little too far.

They're counting on him for next year, so aggravating the injury to go 7-9 instead of 6-10 doesn't make a lot of sense.

Let's all hope EJ stays healthy next year and progresses, or we'll be drafting a QB in the first round again.......

I am in the camp that a 1st round draft choice that has three knee injuries in his first season is a bust......not durible enough to play the pro game, either because of physical limitations, or he doesn't know how to protect himself. In any event, I am hoping the Bills staff is not so invested in the Manuel pick that they don't go out and get another QB...either in free agency or the draft. Lewis is a journeyman backup, and I would not mind seeing him on the training camp roster. I find it interesting that it seems to me that the Hackett seems to call a more wide open game when Lewis starts, than when EJ starts. In any event, the QB situation is the weakest link in this now improving team.

Hackett may call that game, but, as last game clearly showed, Thad can't execute that game.

Now, can Thad get better? Sure he can, but that = unknown.

Also did EJ get hurt because he stands in the pocket too long/doesn't read the blitz/get's himself auto-sacked?

No.

EJ got hurt running the football. We can't pretend that's the same thing.

I am fine if he wants to be coy. I just think its bizarre that the guy would make such a bold pronouncement. I don't think it makes him or the organization look good when you over-promise on anything.

Coy? Seriously? Coach said he was 110% confident EJ would be ready for NE. He obviously did not know at the time how serious the injury was. He made no promises. He wasn't being coy. He merely stated what he thought at the time. Why does this stuff get turned around to the point where people simply disregard what what said and start making up new meanings and begin over analyzing everything?

Coy!!!

Hackett may call that game, but, as last game clearly showed, Thad can't execute that game.

Now, can Thad get better? Sure he can, but that = unknown.

Also did EJ get hurt because he stands in the pocket too long/doesn't read the blitz/get's himself auto-sacked?

No.

EJ got hurt running the football. We can't pretend that's the same thing.

The Phins obviously respected Thad. They backed off after that big play to Woods, hence the success of our run game.

How did EJ get hurt in preseason?

Coy? Seriously? Coach said he was 110% confident EJ would be ready for NE. He obviously did not know at the time how serious the injury was. He made no promises. He wasn't being coy. He merely stated what he thought at the time. Why does this stuff get turned around to the point where people simply disregard what what said and start making up new meanings and begin over analyzing everything?

Coy!!!

Did you follow the back and forth of my prior post?

Someone made the comment that he should be coy like belichick. I said I would be okay with that, but I have a problem with marrone's approach-- which is far too open about injuries. And I have a real problem with over promising and making a ridiculous 110 percent comment.

Coy!!!

Yes, I would define Marrone as being coy the week after leading to this Sunday's game against the Patriots. A big difference from when he declared EJ 110% to go the week before.

Did you follow the back and forth of my prior post?

Someone made the comment that he should be coy like belichick. I said I would be okay with that, but I have a problem with marrone's approach-- which is far too open about injuries. And I have a real problem with over promising and making a ridiculous 110 percent comment.

The big difference between when Belichick is coy is that he is consistent and he never gives away too much information nor makes outlandish statements which contradict himself.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Disappointing

I don't think so in terms of winning this game, but I do agree in terms of EJ showing what he can do.

Honestly, I think that Marrone feels that Lewis gives us a better chance for a win. This of course does not make me "right." Call it a gut feeling. I openly admit that at this point, I think that Thad is a better qb than EJ.

No matter what happens, I hope that the Bills draft a QB in round 1 or 2. How about you?

Why is this even worth discussing?

Because it is a Bills board and not every poster here sucks up to every move that the Bills make be it good or bad. Some of us don't even freak about sportswriters who do not say that our team is great. Some even dare to think it is ok to complain about no playoffs for 14 years.

I for one am glad that Lewis is starting. To take it a step further, I think that the Bills can actually win this football game.

Who irks you more, the Patriots or Bills Fans?

Thanks Mike Schopp. :lol:

Got any other:

"I don't want to get into the details of the game...because I don't know the details of the game",

or

"I have a show to run, and nobody wants to hear about the Xs and Os discussion...um...because I can't do it, so let's pretend I have a choice instead = I won't do it, and, in fact, let's project my views that "nobody wants to hear it",(read: my inadequacies), on all Bills fans."

analysis for us? :lol:

This board...is not about this sort of "scoreboard analysis".

Or, perhaps it's as simple as: I don't want to see a guy get re-injure himself in a game that means so little?

You know...common sense/logic vs. emoting?

EDIT: Not saying you are doing this...you are actually analyzing things, rather than thinking...linear.

This is a perfectly good assessment of Graham. However, this past game? The balls were way off, or, were thrown into a 50/50 situation, and yeah, Graham didn't win. He didn't lose(i.e. interception) but he didn't win.

This is crap. You don't know this at all, and there's exactly 0 evidence that supports this "final conclusion". We aren't even close to having enough to even start the RJ argument, never mind delivering a final verdict on it. This is a perfect example for defining what "outrunning your coverage" means. No surprise considering the source.

EJ is doing exactly what at rookie QB should be doing = going through every read, and being too slow at it...right now.

Thad, especially last Sunday, began by trying to go through his reads, failed at it, or, realized he couldn't make the throw that some of the reads required, so, he skipped them for the rest of the game.

This is what I saw when I was there, and, this is what I saw watching the game for the 4th time on Rewind.

If I have to get out the "fancy pics" and show posters....dare me. When whoever gets done talking? The above will still be true. So, they can keep talking, I have plenty of patience...but I also have a handy gif creator and my Rewind account is paid in full. :lol:

OK .. I dare ya :nana:

Just because it sounds like you want to use that "gif creator" and get the most out of the account. :thumbsup:

This game in the big scheme of things is meaningless for us.

I don't know what you mean by the above CB. Do you mean to us as fans or to the team as an organization, or both?

I'll tell you what it means to me.....I am going to be in Virginia on Sunday to visit my daughter. She and her husband are taking me to a famous Bills Bar. I TOTALLY want the Bills to win this football game, and I think that they can do it. I also think that Lewis gives us a better chance and btw, a NE corner agrees. I heard this on Sirius. I am just short of predicting a Bills win. :)

Marrone has a lot to prove, and a lot to improve. My gut feeling tells me that he thinks that Lewis gives us a better chance to win this football game. If my hunch is correct, I praise him for making this move.

And btw, thanks for the dialogue. I hope that this wonderful forum never turns into a place where we are forced to agree with each other and talk in cliches. There is a reason why this board is SO good. The reason is dialogue.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I don't know what you mean by the above CB. Do you mean to us as fans or to the team as an organization, or both?

I'll tell you what it means to me.....I am going to be in Virginia on Sunday to visit my daughter. She and her husband are taking me to a famous Bills Bar. I TOTALLY want the Bills to win this football game, and I think that they can do it. I also think that Lewis gives us a better chance and btw, a NE corner agrees. I heard this on Sirius. I am just short of predicting a Bills win. :)

Marrone has a lot to prove, and a lot to improve. My gut feeling tells me that he thinks that Lewis gives us a better chance to win this football game. If my hunch is correct, I praise him for making this move.

And btw, thanks for the dialogue. I hope that this wonderful forum never turns into a place where we are forced to agree with each other and talk in cliches. There is a reason why this board is SO good. The reason is dialogue.

If Marrone feels the way you say he does, that says a lot.