Sully throws SJ13 under the bus

PromoTheRobot

Two years ago he wrote a column shaming the Bills to extend Stevie Johnson. Now he's says the Bills overpaid him. Jerry's memory is a little fuzzy these days.

http://www.buffalone...stevie-20131211

But not really. Jerry knows he wrote a column in support of Johnson. But he doesn't care because, as he pointed out to me in an email he sent to me, it's his job to write about the moment, even if the moment contradicts what he wrote earlier. Years ago I wrote Jerry a chiding email over a column where he blamed Tom Donahoe for drafting that stiff Mike Williams. (The tackle, not the WR.) This even though Jerry lavishly praised the pick and Donahoe after that draft.

It irks me. Are you not irked?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years ago he wrote a column shaming the Bills to extend Stevie Johnson. Now he's says the Bills overpaid him. Jerry's memory is a little fuzzy these days.

But not really. Jerry knows he wrote a column in support of Johnson. But he doesn't care because, as he pointed out to me in an email he sent to me, it's his job to write about the moment, even if the moment contradicts what he wrote earlier. Years ago I wrote Jerry a chiding email over a column where he blamed Tom Donahoe for drafting that stiff Mike Williams. (The tackle, not the WR.) This even though Jerry lavishly praised the pick and Donahoe after that draft.

PTR

I agree with him in this article, so this answer is biased. But, it's gotta be tough to have every opinion you've ever felt forever out there on the internet.

I don't think he's implying that it was a mistake to pay him at the time, just that now it's potentially time to move on. At least, that's the overall feeling I got from it.

I think they should keep Stevie and try to draft a legit #1 (if Bridgewater is not around at our pick). But, I don't disagree with Sully's overall sentiment.

no it does not irk me at all

sullivan is not regarded as a serious nfl analyst or anything

he's just a beat writer that likes to stir the pot

you just take him with a grain of salt and realize it's his job to help sell newspapers

It is irking. But, that's the world of a sports columnist.

Sadly, I'm not down on SJ13. He has been great and a bright spot over the years. At the moment he is a scapegoat and once you've become a scapegoat on a consecutively bad team...sports columnists and fans look for blood--it just so happens it's SJ13's!

It is irking. But, that's the world of a sports columnist.

Sadly, I'm not down on SJ13. He has been great and a bright spot over the years. At the moment he is a scapegoat and once you've become a scapegoat on a consecutively bad team...sports columnists and fans look for blood--it just so happens it's SJ13's!

I'm not sure I'd label him as a scapegoat. SJ goes out of his way to bring attention to himself so it's only natural that when he has bad plays that are impactful on games that the attention is going to turn negative. You don't see Chandler getting all the negative attention that Stevie has and his fumble was just about as big.

Jerry tells it like it is. Don't like him, then don't read his opinion columns. Stevie has regressed since then, and continues to have attitude issues. Won't be suprised if he's not on the roster next season; one of the changes the coach has hinted at.

Jerry, is that you?

Sullivan picks up on the main whining around town, and rides it for all it's worth. It's not good writing, and not necessary to approach the job like that. Next column will be about Da'Rick, and how he is on his way to the Hall of Fame.

PTR

sounds like most Bills and Sabrs fans. One minute we love a guy next minute wanna run him out of town and help him pack his bags.

As much I like Stevie Johnson, I hope he plays well enough for the Bills to be able to trade him for a 3rd round pick. While he always has played hard for this team, I think his carefree, fun-loving, loose attitude is not a good model for the Bills young receiving core to emulate. Johnson needs to go to a team that isn't looking for him to be a serious team leader type.

Then I'd take either Watkins or Evans in the 1st round, trade the two thirds for a 2nd and use the two 2nd rounders on quality offensive lineman.

With Watkins/Evans, Woods and Goodwin then having a solid offensive line for the running game and pass protection, I think the Bills would be ready to finally have the makings for an explosive offense.

Edited by 1billsfan

PTR

Plenty here were pushing for the Bills to re-sign Jauron early after he went 5-1 in the last year of his contract. Then they were calling for his head by the end of that same season. They also claimed JP Losman was a great QB talent who just needed the right coaching...before they were screaming for his replacement. They fantasized about what Wanny was going to do with all the newly aquired D talent in 2012...until they were declaring him a dunce and a reject.

Yeah, not irked. It's the way of the world.

And where in the article does Jerry "throw SJ under the bus"? I missed that, unless you are inventing a new use for that phrase...

Edited by Mr. WEO

Who among us hasn't been wrong in our assessment of a player? Which NFL GMs haven't been wrong?

Who among us hasn't changed our views about a player? Which NFL GMs haven't changed their views of a player?

The only difference between a columnist and the rest of us is that they have to put all their opinions on paper (or the web) for all to see and dig up years after the fact.

My own opinion of Stevie has wavered over the years, but at this point he has minimized his own costly mistakes two weeks in a row, in fact is almost in denial about how those mistakes impacted the game. That is the antithesis of leadership. You could live with that occasionally if the Bills were in first place, but for a team still learning how to win, you simply can't have that from one of your highest paid guys. Stevie must be purged, and I believe he will be, at a time that's most advantageous to the Bills.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Who among us hasn't been wrong in our assessment of a player? Which NFL GMs haven't been wrong?

Who among us hasn't changed our views about a player? Which NFL GMs haven't changed their views of a player?

The only difference between a columnist and the rest of us is that they have to put all their opinions on paper (or the web) for all to see and dig up years after the fact.

My own opinion of Stevie has wavered over the years, but at this point he has minimized his own costly mistakes two weeks in a row, in fact is almost in denial about how those mistakes impacted the game. That is the antithesis of leadership. You could live with that occasionally if the Bills were in first place, but for a team still learning how to win, you simply can't have that from one of your highest paid guys. Stevie must be purged, and I believe he will be, at a time that's most advantageous to the Bills.

The problem with Sullivan isn't that his opinion's are wrong (necessarily), it's that they are almost always negative, and never insightful. The Bills sucked during most of Larry Felser's career, but his column wasn't a continuous complaint, or a guy trying to act like he is the voice of the fans.

Sullivan poses as the common Buffalo fan, but he shoots low, and it's actually an insult to the knowledgeable fans of Buffalo.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

PTR

Yea it does because Stevie is the only vet WR on the squad. The only one with 3 1000 yd seasons in a row in team history. The only one teams fear. One of the toughest to cover in the league.

The thing you have to ask is are the Bills a better team without him. That answer right now is no.

Jerry is tripping. Most of the time Jerry is right. not this time IMO. Until the Bills get somebody better than have to keep him. Period

Jerry, is that you?

Sullivan picks up on the main whining around town, and rides it for all it's worth. It's not good writing, and not necessary to approach the job like that. Next column will be about Da'Rick, and how he is on his way to the Hall of Fame.

The Da'Rick HOF jacket fitting column is being written here already in the oh no we cut the almighty Da'rick thread.

My biggest issue with SJ is he gets hurt alot. Between his durability and dropped passes, he has dependability issues and this team doesn't need that.

I am in the keep SJ13 crowd, but this irks me more than all the other stuff. Guy has had a bad hammy since 2010...WTF?

Having said that, dude can flat out get open, is one of our more talented players, and we need not get rid of those right now.