What coaches should be let go?

billsfan_34

although i disagree with some of the WGR kid's conclusions, it was a real eye opener viewing just that small sample of undisciplined offensive play out of the TB game. i'd like to believe that the extent of it was due to the recently acquired 'lost season' mentality, but i'm guessing this is the heart of the team's problems in all phases.

we're talented, but soft.

Marrone had better find a way to motivate this bunch, or they'll sink him.

Edited by BackInDaDay

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im all for the OC AND ST coach.

That

They don't even have one season under their belts ... so none of them.

But ... why is no one calling for Pettine's head? First, allow me to answer my own question - "Because you heard of him before the Bills got him."

Now I'll point out that our defense is - BY FAR - the worst unit on this team. They can't stop the run. They can't stop teams on third downs. They can't defend the deep ball. They get costly penalties every single game. Oh ... and they give up a boat load of points.

But go ahead and point out Special Teams and Offense. Brilliant.

Back to Off the Wall, I go.

Well, more work required, but at least this D is doing some things right. MY contention is that with a competant offense on the field, the D would be much better based on not being on the field so much. And, they are still a lb short of being the machine we want. I think Kiko needs to move to the outside, and put a real run plugger in the middle....(see Chris Spielman)

Kiko is extremely talented, but he is more a tall rangy type, and at 240 about, he isn't quite right to get in there and mix it up with the big boys up front. Of course, we knew that Pettine's systems is agressive, and prone to get burned upon occasion on the best of days...but , it is happening to much yet. And, I hate to say, as I will generate hate replys, but we could use faster safeties. On the long run from scrimage at Tb last week (80 yards), Nigel Bradham, our lb, ran down and passed Byrd while in pursuit. That being the case, our man Byrd, interceptions and all, is SLOW and not able to get to the sideline as well as top safeties. He would be a loss, but he is only a B player, not an A players.

That

Well, more work required, but at least this D is doing some things right. MY contention is that with a competant offense on the field, the D would be much better based on not being on the field so much. And, they are still a lb short of being the machine we want. I think Kiko needs to move to the outside, and put a real run plugger in the middle....(see Chris Spielman)

Kiko is extremely talented, but he is more a tall rangy type, and at 240 about, he isn't quite right to get in there and mix it up with the big boys up front. Of course, we knew that Pettine's systems is agressive, and prone to get burned upon occasion on the best of days...but , it is happening to much yet. And, I hate to say, as I will generate hate replys, but we could use faster safeties. On the long run from scrimage at Tb last week (80 yards), Nigel Bradham, our lb, ran down and passed Byrd while in pursuit. That being the case, our man Byrd, interceptions and all, is SLOW and not able to get to the sideline as well as top safeties. He would be a loss, but he is only a B player, not an A players.

I don't get the bolded, the days of big plugging MLB's are dying (see Luke Kuechly).

The coaching staff this year has been a disappointment. At the least they should be told their work is unsatisfactory if they get fewer than eight wins, okay if they get six, and they are all on the hot seat with fewer than six. Next year's expectation is the playoffs and they had better sit down and give themselves a talking to as to whether they have the will or skill to make a run for it.

The coaching staff this year has been a disappointment. At the least they should be told their work is unsatisfactory if they get fewer than eight wins, okay if they get six, and they are all on the hot seat with fewer than six. Next year's expectation is the playoffs and they had better sit down and give themselves a talking to as to whether they have the will or skill to make a run for it.

yep

:thumbsup:

It would surprise me if any changes were made this off season, as this will most likely be similar to DC George Edwards blunder under Chan Gailey and his giving that moron another year to prove how bad he was.

Some fans thought Wannstedt would be a huge upgrade. Turned out, he was spectacularly worse.
As if the majority of the fans didn't already know he was a waste of space his first year, and wouldn't get better if given a decade.

Special teams coach the same thing, these guys are buds to Marrone, so it might be three full more years of this inane crud.

The only way I see any changes being made is if Whaley takes a stand with Russ Brandon and tells him he doesn't want to see his first round pick ruined by tools.

But ... why is no one calling for Pettine's head? First, allow me to answer my own question - "Because you heard of him before the Bills got him."

Now I'll point out that our defense is - BY FAR - the worst unit on this team. They can't stop the run. They can't stop teams on third downs. They can't defend the deep ball. They get costly penalties every single game. Oh ... and they give up a boat load of points.

Huh?

Huh?

In summary:

• Less than one season together too early to call for anyone's head.
  • I'm perplexed that no one is calling out Pettine, as our defense is horrible.
  • The Stadium Wall is full of really stupid threads and posts.
  • Off the Wall is far more fun.

I think the answer to your question is that pettine looks great because of who he replaced. Wannstedt had a lackluster doormat defense out there every week. So when we finally have a defense that hits and flies all over the place its exciting... Not to mention, the offense leaves the defense on the field way too long.

Offensively. .. we saw what essentially the same offensive personnel can do under a creative mind. And this ain't it. Yeah Levitre and Fitz are gone and Manuel Woods and Goodwin are new but. In comparison, this is a massive letdown

I love arrogant high post counts.

They can't stop the run.

4.2 YPC, which is middle of the league. The last couple weeks have damaged this.

They can't stop teams on third downs.

Ridiculously false. The Bills defense has been top 10 in the league in allowing 1st downs all season, and this is with facing the 5th most snaps in the league. The exception was just the Atlanta game, which is where this point started.

They can't defend the deep ball.

False, again. This defense is among the best in not allowing 20+ yard passes and in pass yardage allowed per play. This is a bit biased toward the Bills since they're a losing team and they haven't faced the best passing offenses, but still. Now I know that in the happy homerland box up there where you care about Marrone's babble and want to run 2 TE power sets, you don't understand that EVERY defense gives up big plays because that's the league now. Pass defenses can't do anything. Awful PI calls happen every game. It's not 1980 anymore.

They get costly penalties every single game.

Yeah, but all areas of the team are guilty of this. And that's not a Pettine thing, that's a Marrone thing. ACCOUNTABILITY.

Oh ... and they give up a boat load of points.

Not really, 16th in the league defensively. 21st overall in points allowed. And that's with defending the 5th most plays, again.

The Stadium Wall is full of really stupid threads and posts.

Off The Wall must be, also. Please go back there.

I think that Crossman is the most obvious answer and the 1st to go. He has proven himself inept at his job with multiple teams already. The Bills have a good gunner, kicker and return men and play bad special teams. In addition, they commit a million penalties. He will be (and rightfully so) the 1st to fall on the sword. Will it be this offseason? I don't know.

I am willing to give Hackett the benefit of the doubt he gets another year just because he is breaking in a rookie qb. Hackett is a rookie as well and learning on the job. I have to believe Marrone has a big part in the offense so if anything they are both to blame.

However, Crossman needs to go special teams have been bad all year. His body of work has proven he is not a quality coach so I am curious if Marrone is willing to fire his friend.

I think I agree with you, but I can't read your 5 point Helvetica Text. Sorry!

You are kidding, right?

theres always one

i agree D was awful. And if it was up to me i would can em all

The defense has been a bright spot this year IMO. Their play has kept the Bills in many games, and is a primary reason why the Bills won some games.

The Bills could have won the Falcons game if not for two offensive fumble in succession at the end of the game. The Bills could have won the Chiefs game if the QB doesn't throw a pick 6, and the WR holds onto the ball. Could have won the Bengals game if the Bills could make a first down by running when needed. Same thing against the Patriots if the Bills could run when they need to, to keep the ball away from Brady.

This years offense is #3 in rushing attempts, #5 in yards, and #18 in yards per attempt. Yet they can't make a first down by running when they really need to, or control the line of scrimmage, or control the clock. So basically this OC is running it more often with less success. Because the offensive run game isn't always successful, then the Bills OC then tries to force the rookie QB to carry the offense. If and when the rookie QB fails, then the game falls apart quickly.

Jets week 3, Browns week 5, that Browns game the Bills were winning until EJ went out and Jeff Tuel took over and the route was on, as the rest of the game went PUNT, PUNT, PUNT, PUNT, INTERCEPTION, DOWNS. Pittsburgh week 10, Tampa Bay week 14. The Bucs game was over before the first half ended. The offense was so inept it kept screwing the defense into bad field position punt after punt after punt.

NFL football is a team game and when one aspect of the team fails, it effects the other areas of the team. Under Chan Gailey it was the defense that failed miserably most every game, and for three long years. Under Doug Marrone it is the special teams and offense that is mostly letting the team down.

It didn't take 3 years for some of us to see the ineptitude in Chan Gailey's teams, and yet he got his three. We saw what happened when Gailey hired his inexperienced pals from his college days at GT, and his inept pals from his time with the Dallas Cowboys, his pal George Edwards, his pal Dave Wannstedt.

Now we can already see the problems arising with this new coaching staff. Marrone hiring his pal Nathaniel Hackett to be both OC & QB coach. His pal Danny Crossman for special teams. Besides not understanding how to properly game plan, and effectively utilize their players every game.

I've seen enough over the last 14 weeks to realize if things don't change over the next three games, then changes should be made in the coaching staff. Don't get me wrong as I like Doug Marrone. I just don't like his cronyism, and if this HC can't coach a team without his cronies...then find one who can.