What coaches should be let go?

billsfan_34

You may be right, but it looks really bad for him after last week. The team has regressed as the season has worn on, there is a glaring lack of discipline, and they just got used by a team that had been left for dead (though admittedly has played much better over the last month). Worse, the team consistently chokes away would be/could be/should be wins in close games - that's generally a product of a team's mentality rather than talent. Some may disagree, but I see the team's collective mentality largely as a reflection of the coach. The icing on the cake was after Sunday's humiliation when he's talking about accountability and the players are making excuses.

To be fair, like EJ, he's a rookie. There are going to be growing pains. There's a good chance he'll learn from his mistakes, get control of the team, and turn the ship around. He may need another season or two to really build the team in his image with his guys. He's all but certain to get the chance. It just doesn't look good right now. And this isn't the franchise to expect patience from through multiple losing seasons of another so-called rebuild.

Agreed .

But hasnt it been that way for a decade or so.

I was patient last year but by the 3rd season a couple games in Gailey knew he had failed. It showed across the field and was painful Fire Chan.

This particular franchise and maybe the Browns really should employ patience this time.

You are right about the growing pains . He has clearly admitted his mistake with EJ . And even i can see that it was a coaching mistake asking him to call plays when he is still trying to learn footwork :doh: .

I especially agree with you about the team being a direct reflection on coaching and the Head Coach . and the penalties from the O line drive men to throw their hats at the TV. Marrone an Offensive lineman allowing this? He must being throwing more than his hat. His dog maybe ?

Go Unga !

Edited by 3rdand12

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed .

But hasnt it been that way for a decade or so.

I was patient last year but by the 3rd season a couple games in Gailey knew he had failed. It showed across the field and was painful Fire Chan.

This particular franchise and maybe the Browns really should employ patience this time.

You are right about the growing pains . He has clearly admitted his mistake with EJ . And even i can see that it was a coaching mistake asking him to call plays when he is still trying to learn footwork :doh: .

I especially agree with you about the team being a direct reflection on coaching and the Head Coach . and the penalties from the O line drive men to throw their hats at the TV. Marrone an Offensive lineman allowing this? He must being throwing more than his hat. His dog maybe ?

Go Unga !

I agree, but I don't expect the fanbase to be patient quietly. I've been almost as annoyingly optimistic as our resident equestrian up until this season. Even this offseason I supported every move, even if I didn't initially agree with it. But as I see the team wallow in perpetual suckitude I actually find myself getting angry and resentful of the organization. It makes me mad because following football is one of my favorite hobbies and it's really being ruined for me by the ongoing futility of this team. Even when we were losing it was still fun planning for next year and expecting we'd soon turn the corner, but it's starting to seem like that might not happen any time soon. I suspect others share my sentiment, hence the overwhelming negativity on display here recently.

That's why my real problem isn't with Marrone himself, but moreso with the decision to hire this type of coaching staff in the first place. For most teams looking for a change, a young upstart with promise is a great choice. Look at the Eagles. But for a team that has losing so engrained in its culture that no one on the roster or staff has ever experienced anything other than losing with this franchise, you need to bring in someone who knows how to win in the NFL and has proven it. Lovie Smith, for example, would have been preferable. No, he's not a sexy pick, but he's a guy that could at least build the team to a consistent .500 or better performer. Hell, if you're going to go with the rookie coach at least get him some experienced coordinators to help ease him in. Instead we have a rookie GM who hired a rookie HC overseeing a rookie OC running an offense with a rookie QB throwing to rookie WRs. WTF kind of plan is that?

That's not to say a rookie HC can't turn it around, I just think the odds are a lot better with a proven commodity. As of now, it's a toss up as to whether we're on course to repeat the 3 year rebuild cycle.

I agree, but I don't expect the fanbase to be patient quietly. I've been almost as annoyingly optimistic as our resident equestrian up until this season. Even this offseason I supported every move, even if I didn't initially agree with it. But as I see the team wallow in perpetual suckitude I actually find myself getting angry and resentful of the organization. It makes me mad because following football is one of my favorite hobbies and it's really being ruined for me by the ongoing futility of this team. Even when we were losing it was still fun planning for next year and expecting we'd soon turn the corner, but it's starting to seem like that might not happen any time soon. I suspect others share my sentiment, hence the overwhelming negativity on display here recently.

That's why my real problem isn't with Marrone himself, but moreso with the decision to hire this type of coaching staff in the first place. For most teams looking for a change, a young upstart with promise is a great choice. Look at the Eagles. But for a team that has losing so engrained in its culture that no one on the roster or staff has ever experienced anything other than losing with this franchise, you need to bring in someone who knows how to win in the NFL and has proven it. Lovie Smith, for example, would have been preferable. No, he's not a sexy pick, but he's a guy that could at least build the team to a consistent .500 or better performer. Hell, if you're going to go with the rookie coach at least get him some experienced coordinators to help ease him in. Instead we have a rookie GM who hired a rookie HC overseeing a rookie OC running an offense with a rookie QB throwing to rookie WRs. WTF kind of plan is that?

That's not to say a rookie HC can't turn it around, I just think the odds are a lot better with a proven commodity. As of now, it's a toss up as to whether we're on course to repeat the 3 year rebuild cycle.

Brother i hear every word you say. Honestly i do.

rookie this rookie that and rookie the other damned thing. Lets consider its a reasonable attempt to break the mold.

The mold of retreads and castoffs. None of these guys are that

except D crossman

But it's a bit of trying to break down the status quo with this team and trying something else. Bathwater and all have been tossed .

I am one of the folks who think some one ( Nate ) should study Gaileys offfense and then as Whaley gets the players to run between tackles as Marrone would prefer to be able to accomplish go for it.

But stubborn seems a good word here.

we are on a three year year full blown rebuild cycle as compare to the previous half assed 3 year rebuild cycle : )

Edited by 3rdand12

Im all for the OC AND ST coach.

Completely agree

The offense is way too basic and now they are scaling it back even more. I don't see any creativity in this offense and Hacketts inability to find ways to get his playmakers the ball shows how overmatched he is. Oh look another shotgun draw behind right guard for 2 yards

I don't get the lack of return game this year

You are so on with this it's not funny. I don't know if any of you remember, but I was all in on Lovie. My avatar was Lovie even. And that was the reason I wanted him. He knew how to win IN THE NFL. He comes into practice the first day and he's got heavy cred. He tells the players. "I want to get back to the SB and here's how we're gonna do it." AND he actually knows how to do it because he's done it.

He was also going to bring his entire staff with him from Chicago. We wanted something different? How about a real adult NFL coaching staff with a history of success?

Anyway, we are where we are. Hopefully Coach Marrone turns this thing around but it don't look so good right now.

I'd dump Crossman in a hurry. The fact that we got the fastest guy in the NFL returning kicks and we can't spring him for one past the 20 tells a lot. Our punt coverage team has cost us big time in a couple of games this year too.

It's a fine theory at it's core--rooted in sound principles...it's worth noting that no head coach has ever--in the history of the league--won a Superbowl with two different teams. That does make it a little hard to accept the proven-winner-means-proven-winner-here approach.

All hires are toss-ups...even the proven ones. I think of it this way: if a HC were truly a proven winner, what the heck is he doing available on the open market? Now I understand that every coach gets fired at some point; I'm just saying that there are no guarantees.

I do think the team would be further along right now had they hired an experienced OC...I can't, however, fault Marrone for going with a guy with whom he had familiarity.

It's a fine theory at it's core--rooted in sound principles...it's worth noting that no head coach has ever--in the history of the league--won a Superbowl with two different teams. That does make it a little hard to accept the proven-winner-means-proven-winner-here approach.

All hires are toss-ups...even the proven ones. I think of it this way: if a HC were truly a proven winner, what the heck is he doing available on the open market? Now I understand that every coach gets fired at some point; I'm just saying that there are no guarantees.

I do think the team would be further along right now had they hired an experienced OC...I can't, however, fault Marrone for going with a guy with whom he had familiarity.

I understand. My point was that for this particular team I'd have rather taken a safer path to getting to a reasonably competent football team before worrying about Superbowls, but generally I agree with what you're saying. At this point it's all academic anyway. We'll see how things go. I can see these guys making it work, it's just frustrating.