Trestman, Arians, McCoy, Kelly already providing dividends

..and the Bills and Marrone are regressing the development of their franchise QB by scaling down the offense. Marrone has been unable to develop or even show progress in development of a franchise QB in the 1st year and penalties have skyrocketed.

I find that very worrysome with the team fundamentals (we rank in the top tier in fumbles) and penalties

Marrone doesn't seem to know how to develop a QB IMO nor develop an offensive scheme to take advantage of their best players abilities (Spiller is the key one).

Trestman et al are in the 1st class of 1st year head coaches, Marrone is in another with the hires of Rob Chudsinki and Gus Bradley.

Wouldn't it be something if Bradley outcoaches Marrone next week? That would be quite depressing.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..and the Bills and Marrone are regressing the development of their franchise QB by scaling down the offense. Marrone has been unable to develop or even show progress in development of a franchise QB in the 1st year and penalties have skyrocketed.

I find that very worrysome with the team fundamentals (we rank in the top tier in fumbles) and penalties

Marrone doesn't seem to know how to develop a QB IMO nor develop an offensive scheme to take advantage of their best players abilities (Spiller is the key one).

Trestman et al are in the 1st class of 1st year head coaches, Marrone is in another with the hires of Rob Chudsinki and Gus Bradley.

Wouldn't it be something if Bradley outcoaches Marrone next week? That would be quite depressing.

This is a statement of opinion, not fact. "Dividends' is very subjective.

Trestman, McCoy, and Arians are working with veteran QBs - Cutler, Rivers, and Palmer respectively. Trestman's team was 10-6 last year and had a strong defense. They will do well to get to 10 wins last year and now have a terrible defense and a good offense.

Marrone, Bradley, and Chudzinski all inherited open-ended QB situations. Marrone is a step ahead of those guys in that he has identified his guy and will sink or swim. Bradley and Chud made the mistake (in conjunction with their GMs of course) that there was hope for Gabbert or Weeden. They will be drafting in year two.

Props to Chip Kelly - no question. He did inherit a very talented offensive squad but he has made Foles a highly efficient QB.

Trestman, McCoy, and Arians are working with veteran QBs - Cutler, Rivers, and Palmer respectively. Trestman's team was 10-6 last year and had a strong defense. They will do well to get to 10 wins last year and now have a terrible defense and a good offense.

Marrone, Bradley, and Chudzinski all inherited open-ended QB situations. Marrone is a step ahead of those guys in that he has identified his guy and will sink or swim. Bradley and Chud made the mistake (in conjunction with their GMs of course) that there was hope for Gabbert or Weeden. They will be drafting in year two.

Props to Chip Kelly - no question. He did inherit a very talented offensive squad but he has made Foles a highly efficient QB.

I think Cleveland decided early on that Weeden isn't the guy. Weeden was forced back into the line up by the legend.

None of those guys have had the Qb injuries we have had. If they were forced to start their 3rd and 4th string QBs like we have, there would have racked up a few more losses as well. The Bills played an unbeaten Chiefs team with undrafted rookie Jeff Tuel and outgained them by over 200 yards! That is a great coaching job and other fanbases respect that.

I'm all about perspective. We have started 3 QBs, 2 who weren't even drafted. IF I told you that before the season, what would guess our record would be? I don't know if Marrone is a good coach just like I don't know if EJ is the right QB. But it is completely irrational to make any solid judgements off year 1 with the mess we have had at QB this season.

And Foles did have a season under his belt learning from a very good QB coach in Andy Reid.

None of those guys have had the Qb injuries we have had. If they were forced to start their 3rd and 4th string QBs like we have, there would have racked up a few more losses as well. The Bills played an unbeaten Chiefs team with undrafted rookie Jeff Tuel and outgained them by over 200 yards! That is a great coaching job and other fanbases respect that.

I'm all about perspective. We have started 3 QBs, 2 who weren't even drafted. IF I told you that before the season, what would guess our record would be? I don't know if Marrone is a good coach just like I don't know if EJ is the right QB. But it is completely irrational to make any solid judgements off year 1 with the mess we have had at QB this season.

agreed. whats frustrating is that its such a mixed bag that its hard to get too excited, but its easy to excuse a lot of the issues too.

agreed. whats frustrating is that its such a mixed bag that its hard to get too excited, but its easy to excuse a lot of the issues too.

Personally, I think making Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel somewhat presentable NFL starters is the sign of great coaching. Like I said, I don't know if Marrone is the answer. But I'd love to see another season, after spending all offseason working with EJ, before I just cast him aside.

I think as fans were are so emotional about our team that it's hard to be rational at times. But I know a lot of outsiders who think the Bills are generally a well coached team (minus the stupid penalties).

Personally, I think making Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel somewhat presentable NFL starters is the sign of great coaching. Like I said, I don't know if Marrone is the answer. But I'd love to see another season, after spending all offseason working with EJ, before I just cast him aside.

I think as fans were are so emotional about our team that it's hard to be rational at times. But I know a lot of outsiders who think the Bills are generally a well coached team (minus the stupid penalties).

ill be one of the first to say that we were even functional for that stretch is impressive. i also know a young team, even without that, will have some clunkers along the way.... and there are some things to say next year could be better.... ive been going back and forth between even keel and cautiously optimistic since the hire, then when rounding out the coaching staff, free agency, EJ, etc... havent been fanatically excited too many times, but havent been terribly upset many either. I think we are trending the right direction but getting there is going to take some big steps at a few spots.

ill be one of the first to say that we were even functional for that stretch is impressive. i also know a young team, even without that, will have some clunkers along the way.... and there are some things to say next year could be better.... ive been going back and forth between even keel and cautiously optimistic since the hire, then when rounding out the coaching staff, free agency, EJ, etc... havent been fanatically excited too many times, but havent been terribly upset many either. I think we are trending the right direction but getting there is going to take some big steps at a few spots.

I agree. I have 2 good friends who are Jets' fans. They used to blame little Schotty (who I don't think is a good OC but he's about average) for the reason Sanchez struggled. Personally, I thought Sanchez just wasn't a good QB. he had a much worse rookie year than EJ. But if the Jets gave up on him after his rookie year, that would have been foolish.

So do we now think Marrone would still be sitting at 4-9 if he was hired by the Bears and inherited Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, and Matt Forte rather than EJ Manuel, Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods, and CJ Spiller?

Kelly lucked into Foles. He had to scrap his "Chip Kelly will revolutionize the NFL Offense" nonsense as soon as Vick predictably went down (before he could suck for another season).

So you are still of the "Chip Kelly's gimmicky offense can't work in the NFL" school of thought, right? Do you think the Bills made a better hire than the Eagles did?

Marrone is in another with the hires of Rob Chudsinki and Gus Bradley.

Chudzinski certainly seems to be clueless (witness his clock management at the end of the Pats' game), but I would argue that the Browns are in much better shape as a franchise than the Bills and will make the playoffs long before Buffalo will. They have a very talented defense, one absolute stud WR, another very good WR, and a rising star at TE. Although they have not identified a bona fide franchise QB, all three of their QBs (Campbell, Weeden, and Hoyer) are better right now than any QB on the Bills' roster. And they stole Indy's no. 1 pick this year for a useless running back.

And all those coaches have teams with better players than the Bills, and in some cases are only a couple years removed from playoff appearances unlike the Bills. As fans we may have become numb to just how bad this team is and how long it's been since we were good at all. Not saying none of them could be doing a better job, but there just isn't as much to work with as there is on those teams. I'm always amazed at how consistently people overrate the talent on this team, especially on Offense.