List of Washington General moments by the Buffalo Bills

1B4IDie

Staba was the best. Is he still writing for the NF Reporter? I haven't read an article by him in several years now.

I agree...and I think the best parts were the reviews of the chicken wings wherever he watched the game.

I recall reading that he moved on from the NF Reporter to somewhere else, but even Googling has not revealed where. A Linked In account with his name doesn't reveal anything.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the slogan. What if you don't get a first down? Ever hear of clock management ?

PTR

How is a Kickoff return considered clock management? Watch how many seconds the next kickoff return takes? The clock is stopped in the last two minutes after a kickoff returner is tackled.

I watched the highlight before posting that. He caught it back peddling at the goal line and stopped at the -2. I would have taken it out too just to be safe

You know what, you're not called captain Hindsight for Nothing.

I couldn't find the video but that image has been burned in my memory. I do remember it looking weird, where he could have been worried that he caught the ball in the field of play and carried it backward in the endzone.

That actually would make a lot more sense to return it, in that situation.

So if that is the case, it's less of a Washington Generals moment. Although didn't he basically get picked up in the air by one player then stripped by another player? If so that would put the incident back into the Washington Generals category.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Let's not forget Flutie running it in for the winning TD for the Chargers after the Bills had decided that Rob Johnson was the franchise QB

Yes, classic Generals......people forget that Johnson had won that game for the Bills and all they had to do was cover the kickoff. AGAIN. 85 yard KOR later Flutie gets the ball and wins it.

That game got Johnson a SB ring because Gruden loved the way RJ seemingly willed his team to victory in the face of adversity. RJ was not too shabby in the clutch. It was just the rest of the game where he usually stunk. Flutie went on to lose like 14 straight or something ridiculous soon after that.....forever debunking his "all he does is win" moniker. Turns out they couldn't live with each other and they couldn't play QB in the NFL without each other.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

How is a Kickoff return considered clock management?

Here's how:

If there is 2:05 left in the game and you are getting the kickoff and you take the touchback, you are giving the opposing team an extra time out at the 2 minute warning. I don't remember how many time outs NE had left that game but let's say it was 1.

Bills take touchback: 2:05

Run 1st down play: 2:00 minute warning.

Run 2nd down play: 1:55 Pats call last T O

Run 3rd down play: clock runs to 1:15

Punt: Pats get ball with 1:10 left.

OR...

Bills run the ball out: 2:00 minute warning

1st down play: 1:55 Pats call last T O

2nd down play: clock runs to 1:10

3rd down play: clock runs to :30

4th down Punt: Pats get ball at their own 30 with :20 left.

Big difference, huh?

PTR

You guys have way better memories than I do. Once pointed out I remember the games mentioned in this thread vividly but if forced to come up with games on my own I could probably only come up with just a handful. I guess I repress those painful memories...

Here's how:

If there is 2:05 left in the game and you are getting the kickoff and you take the touchback, you are giving the opposing team an extra time out at the 2 minute warning. I don't remember how many time outs NE had left that game but let's say it was 1.

Bills take touchback: 2:05

Run 1st down play: 2:00 minute warning.

Run 2nd down play: 1:55 Pats call last T O

Run 3rd down play: clock runs to 1:15

Punt: Pats get ball with 1:10 left.

OR...

Bills run the ball out: 2:00 minute warning

1st down play: 1:55 Pats call last T O

2nd down play: clock runs to 1:10

3rd down play: clock runs to :30

4th down Punt: Pats get ball at their own 30 with :20 left.

Big difference, huh?

PTR

45 seconds would be the max with no first down.

I see where you're going.

So you think the coaches told McKelvin to run it out?

How is a Kickoff return considered clock management? Watch how many seconds the next kickoff return takes? The clock is stopped in the last two minutes after a kickoff returner is tackled.

You know what, you're not called captain Hindsight for Nothing.

I couldn't find the video but that image has been burned in my memory. I do remember it looking weird, where he could have been worried that he caught the ball in the field of play and carried it backward in the endzone.

That actually would make a lot more sense to return it, in that situation.

So if that is the case, it's less of a Washington Generals moment. Although didn't he basically get picked up in the air by one player then stripped by another player? If so that would put the incident back into the Washington Generals category.

It would have got them to the two minute warning! It was the right move to bring out the kick.

It's pretty difficult to win when you not only have to beat the other team, but also make plays to beat yourself. The culture of failure to me goes hand in hand in with not having situational awareness. Im sure a lot of us were thinking before the Leodis fumble on the KO against the Pats, whatever happens just dont get stood up, you know they are going to try and strip the ball. What happens, boom stood up, and fumble. How many times do you watch a receiver make a first down, espcially going across the middle and you say get down. Watch a guy like Welker, he does it consistently. Thats smart football. Or after you got the first down, have 2 hands/arms covering the ball. Or when its better to take a sack and keep the clock running, not get flushed out and fumble like JP did.

To me the culture of failure is real, and its combination of stupid play and poor coaching. If I'm Marrone, I devote entire meetings about situational awareness with film examples.

#5 - George Wilson drop. The Football Gods have evened this one out. On Sunday George Wilson, now playing for the Titans, dropped an easy interception which hit him in the numbers. The Colts held on to win the game.

But another, cannot recall the exact date but it was at the beginning of the Brady era in NE. The game tied in overtime the NE receiver catches the ball on the right sideline. A big hit by the Bills secondary jars the ball loose, The hit also knocks out the receiver. The ball laying on the ground is recovered by the Bills. But replay show the NE receiver's helment hit out of bounds and then his heel touched the ball meaning the play was dead at that point and NE maintained possession. A few plays later they kick the OT FG. Only play in league history were an unconscious receiver recovered a fumble as his lifeless body hit the ground.

I don't know hat he was lifeless...but that is THE classic example of the Bills misfortune over the years!

I may be wrong, but without that win, I think no playoffs for the Pats, no tuck rule game...maybe the whole last 13 years is different!

Too bad they didn't tell him not to get bullied by Pierre Woods.

He gave him an atomic wedgie and took his lunch money.

Running it out was the right play. Not dropping to the ground in a fetal position before Patriot* touches you is the mistake.

PTR

It is hard to believe the sheer volume of incidents where the Buffalo Bills players have committed amazing acts of self inflicted mistakes.

I am starting to believe that the games may be staged like the Harlem Globetrotters vs Washington Generals.

Let us recount the unbelievable mishaps that Bills players have made throughout the years that couldn't possibly have all been innocent mistakes.

1. 9/14/2009 - New England Patriots - For no apparent reason Leodis McKelvin returns a kick 8 yards deep in the endzone. The team was up by five points and only need to run clock. Leodis Proceeds to fumble the kickoff return, putting the Patriots in position for the game winning TD pass.

2. 10/24/2010 - Baltimore Ravens - In OT Shaun Nelson receives a pass close to FG range. Is gang tackled and push backwards, ~5 seconds after his forward progression is stopped, the ball is ripped lose. Ravens kick game winning FG.

3. 11/28/2010 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Stevie Johnson drops wide open pass in OT with no one near him.

4. 10/14/2012 - Arizona Cardinals - Did everything in their power to lose to the Cards in OT but somehow still won. (This is akin to the one win that the Washington Generals have. )

5. 10/21/2013- Tennessee Titans - George Wilson drops game ending Interception in 4th QTR when the ball hits him right in the numbers.

6. 11/11/2012 - New England Patriots - TJ Graham hangs a ralph when he was supposed to hang a Louie. Result is game ending INT.

7. 12/9/2012 - St. Louis Rams - George Wilson drops game ending Interception in 4th QTR when the ball hits him right in the numbers. (This is where it gets obvious, because this was a repeat from earlier in the "Season")

​8. 11/11/2013 - Kansas City Chiefs - An Undrafted Rookie Free Agent QB throws a 100 yard pick 6 - (Now this is where it gets too obvious, what NFL team would start an Undrafted Rookie Free Agent QB and why would he throw a pass to three Kansas City Chief Defenders - Washington Generals, much?)

9. 12/1/2013 - Atlanta Falcons - Not One but two fumbles in FG range one in the last seconds of the game that would allow the Bills to win the game. The second in OT. (Come on now, thats just too outlandish)

That is just off the top of my head.

I'm sure you all have some more moments that prove the NFL is rigged and the Buffalo Bills are the Washington Generals of the NFL.

I still blame Cancer Man for most of these events. He hates the Bills, has access to incredible alien technology, and is obviously still using it to thwart us to this day.

As long as he lives....

Thats not what the history books say.

S.Gostkowski kicks 72 yards from NE 30 to BUF -2. L.McKelvin to BUF 31 for 33 yards (P.Woods). FUMBLES (P.Woods), RECOVERED by NE-S.Gostkowski at BUF 31. S.Gostkowski to BUF 31 for no gain (J.Wendling).

McLovin ran it out to get the game to the two-minute warning so the Bills could run out the clock. It was the right move sans the fumble.

PTR

Correct - taking a touchback while obviously preferable to fumbling, would've given NE an extra 40 seconds. Running it out was the right move.

The Eddie Robinson blunder was an embarrassing moment in a lopsided game and a rematch of the much more frustrating "the Chad Morton game" who obv. went on to have a nothing career.

Edited by BuffOrange

But another, cannot recall the exact date but it was at the beginning of the Brady era in NE. The game tied in overtime the NE receiver catches the ball on the right sideline. A big hit by the Bills secondary jars the ball loose, The hit also knocks out the receiver. The ball laying on the ground is recovered by the Bills. But replay show the NE receiver's helment hit out of bounds and then his heel touched the ball meaning the play was dead at that point and NE maintained possession. A few plays later they kick the OT FG. Only play in league history were an unconscious receiver recovered a fumble as his lifeless body hit the ground.

That's when I really started to give up on football. An unconscious ball carrier can maintain possession of a fumble if any part of him lands out of bounds while any other part of him touches the ball.

Okay, yeah, I get it...it's still just silly.