2014 Free Agent List

I would love to sign Veldheer and Alex Mack, cut Johnson and sign Nicks on the cheap. Our Oline will be the best in the NFL.

LT-GLENN

LG-MACK

C-WOODS

RG-URBIK

RT-PEARS VELDHEER

that's top notch.

Also in the draft I would take Austin Seferian Jenkins and trade back into the late first for Eric Ebron if he's there. Ej needs 2Te's and he will be lethal. With those additions our run game will be unstoppable which would open up play action for Goodwin and Tj to stretch the field.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt that that is what they would like to do......and likely will do.

Their cap situation however is so tenuous that one would have to assume that there is a reasonable chance that they won't re-sign Graham.

Cutting Smith and Harper would see them roughly at the 2014 cap level.

The FA losses they need to replace apart from Graham are starting players.......FS(Jenkins), RT(Strief), C(Puente), LB(Haralson), LT(Brown), FB(Collins)

With the injured LB(Vilma) as an additional FA......plus good role player/backup guys of DE(Johnson), WR(Meachem), FS(Bush), QB(McCown), OT(Harris), CB3(Carr)

Graham could quite easily find himself a legitimate cap casualty.

I don't know how often you've followed the saints but they really aren't considerably worse off than several seasons where they've still managed to be very active adding pieces. In this case I've got to ask do you really think they sign guys in the last 2 offseasons like bunkley (5m per) colston (7m per) keenan Lewis (5m per) and lofton (5.5m per) grubbs (7m per) with no clear plan to for graham - one of the most impactful players not playing qb in the entire game?

Last year they were projected 16m over for 2013 in dec 2012 and still added Lewis and resigned their guys.

They went into 2012 with only 6m in cap space and managed to keep colston, resign brees, add bunkley, add lofton and add grubbs to replace nicks walking

I don't doubt for a second that they have a plan in place for graham, and I think odds are it'll be less painful than most think. The Greer question marks will be big and unexpected though, which may make it slightly tougher but still agree with Kirby that it's 0.0%

Edited by NoSaint

I would love to sign Veldheer and Alex Mack, cut Johnson and sign Nicks on the cheap. Our Oline will be the best in the NFL.

LT-GLENN

LG-MACK

C-WOODS

RG-URBIK

RT-PEARS

that's top notch.

Also in the draft I would take Austin Seferian Jenkins and trade back into the late first for Eric Ebron if he's there. Ej needs 2Te's and he will be lethal. With those additions our run game will be unstoppable which would open up play action for Goodwin and Tj to stretch the field.

The second I read your post I knew this was you, brother. I agree wholeheartedly. The Bills' most important needs are OL, TE and WR. In that order. The only change I'd make is keep Mack at center and move Wood to guard. Unfortunately this isn't going to happen. Cleveland has a ton of cap space. Mack won't be going anywhere.

I'd draft a TE in round one. ASJ would be a great pick. Move down in the draft to get him and acquire another pick. Select a guard in round two. We can sign a free agent at receiver.

In free agency I'd go after:

Chad Henne as a backup QB

Zack Strief as a RT (if he'll come cheap)

Cory Wootton or O’Brien Schofield for pass rush depth

Josh Wilson for depth at CB

Draft:

Khalil Mack (or another OLB)

Jace Amaro (or another big TE since he's probably a top 20 pick)

Zack Martin or James Hurst (both college OTs) in round 3 to play guard

the thing about jones/boldin is that so far we have seen good things from woods and goodwin and stevie aint goin anywhere

True, but we run a lot of 3 WR sets.

Woods & Goodwin are making T.J. Graham irrelevant.

I agree that Stevie is not going anywhere, but he is still injury prone.

The addition of either Anquan Boldin or James Jones would be a tremendous upgrade at this position.

I agree that Stevie is not going anywhere, but he is still injury prone.

This shouldn't be a big deal. Stevie gets injured, but he still plays well when injured. In his entire bills career, this is the first season that he missed a game for an injury. Woods has missed more games to injury than stevie. Only reason WR is even on the list is because Stevie is our number (for now) and he is horrible in clutch situations. He is like the tony romo of wide receivers. Talented, good production, but in clutch time, bad things happen. WR might even be taken in the 1st round for us if there is one available. I think Graham doesn't have much time left with us.

I know he isn't a FA but would like to see a play made for Josh Gordon. Cleveland wants to rid themselves of him and he has produced in a horrible offense with 0 runnin game. he will want a big deal but its worth it.

well, i wouldnt say its a given they still feel the same. when first coming off the suspension they seemed to - but with the season theyve had.... itll be an interesting storyline.

I don't know how often you've followed the saints but they really aren't considerably worse off than several seasons where they've still managed to be very active adding pieces. In this case I've got to ask do you really think they sign guys in the last 2 offseasons like bunkley (5m per) colston (7m per) keenan Lewis (5m per) and lofton (5.5m per) grubbs (7m per) with no clear plan to for graham - one of the most impactful players not playing qb in the entire game?

Last year they were projected 16m over for 2013 in dec 2012 and still added Lewis and resigned their guys.

They went into 2012 with only 6m in cap space and managed to keep colston, resign brees, add bunkley, add lofton and add grubbs to replace nicks walking

I don't doubt for a second that they have a plan in place for graham, and I think odds are it'll be less painful than most think. The Greer question marks will be big and unexpected though, which may make it slightly tougher but still agree with Kirby that it's 0.0%

I wasn't implying that the Saints had no plan to sign Graham(in fact I said that re-signing him was the most likely outcome)......just that their cap situation is a lot worse than previous years, which may lead them to the decision not to re-sign.

Usually when teams are in tight cap situations, they use future money to pay for today's players. Teams can keep doing this for a while.....but invariably it catches up to a team's cap.

As example.....using the 6 players you have mentioned. (Brees, Grubbs, Lofton, Lewis, Colston, Bunkley).

Their combined 2013 cap figure is $34.11M

Their combined 2014 cap figure is $51.66M (Which is the main reason why they are very tight next season)

Their combined 2015 cap figure is $66.66M

The cap will start increasing again in 2015 so that should help them, but as it stands, re-signing Graham will make things extraordinarily tight for them, likely meaning the loss of several other good starting players.

I wasn't implying that the Saints had no plan to sign Graham(in fact I said that re-signing him was the most likely outcome)......just that their cap situation is a lot worse than previous years, which may lead them to the decision not to re-sign.

Usually when teams are in tight cap situations, they use future money to pay for today's players. Teams can keep doing this for a while.....but invariably it catches up to a team's cap.

As example.....using the 6 players you have mentioned. (Brees, Grubbs, Lofton, Lewis, Colston, Bunkley).

Their combined 2013 cap figure is $34.11M

Their combined 2014 cap figure is $51.66M (Which is the main reason why they are very tight next season)

Their combined 2015 cap figure is $66.66M

The cap will start increasing again in 2015 so that should help them, but as it stands, re-signing Graham will make things extraordinarily tight for them, likely meaning the loss of several other good starting players.

My point was that they knew the graham contract was looming and they pass on any one or two of those guys (obviously not brees) if it means the difference in keeping graham.

Short term you'll see will smith and roman Harper gone (in hindsight smith has been out all year and Harper most - would've been nice if they already were gone, but will cause zero drop off while clearing a huge portion of the dollars needed) and after next year colston likely gets moved freeing 7m a year which is most of Graham's money without really hurting the team badly.

Vilma hasn't contributed in years and will be FINALLY coming off the books too...

The bills just don't work the cap like it is done in many other cities.

My point was that they knew the graham contract was looming and they pass on any one or two of those guys (obviously not brees) if it means the difference in keeping graham.

Short term you'll see will smith and roman Harper gone (in hindsight smith has been out all year and Harper most - would've been nice if they already were gone, but will cause zero drop off while clearing a huge portion of the dollars needed) and after next year colston likely gets moved freeing 7m a year which is most of Graham's money without really hurting the team badly.

Vilma hasn't contributed in years and will be FINALLY coming off the books too...

The bills just don't work the cap like it is done in many other cities.

That is the strength of Mickey Loomis. He comes from an accounting background (not football), they will work their usual cap magic and let go of some of the dead weight (Smith, Harper, Vilma) on the defensive side of the ball.

Edited by Kirby Jackson