Where do we upgrade?

Virgil

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks as I watch College Football wind down and players emerge as first round picks. But especially after this game, I wonder what needs to be done to fix this wreck. The problem is, I have no idea. Honestly think about the positions we have:

D-Line - We have 2 Pro-Bowl players and 2 above average guys on that line. Dareus is no chump, but we can't stop the run.

CB - Byrd is a pro-bowlers, we aren't getting beat deep, Gilmore is considered a top tier CB, and McKelvin has maybe had 2 bad games. Williams and Robey have done great too.

LB - DROY in Kiko, Hughes has 6 sacks, but maybe better here....

O-Line - Haven't given up many sacks and we are top 5 in rushing

WR - Just drafted 2 guys with potential as our 2 and 3 WR. Stevie could go either way, but not a glaring issue

TE - Yup, need one.

QB - That's for debate, but I will say this. Besides the Pittsburgh game, what games has he lost? Left the Pats game with the lead, beat the Panthers, Lost the Steelers game, Crushed the Jets, wasn't great today, but was in FG with Stevie to win it and Chandler was close. You can knock him all you want, but I don't see where an upgrade gets us more than one additional win. I don't count the injury against him because that happens.

So seriously, one more LB, a TE, and maybe a WR? I just don't see how that's really going to be the difference. It's more inconsistent play and a loser mentality that finds a way to show itself. I think that's what makes this more frustrating because I have no idea what to do next

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks as I watch College Football wind down and players emerge as first round picks. But especially after this game, I wonder what needs to be done to fix this wreck. The problem is, I have no idea. Honestly think about the positions we have:

D-Line - We have 2 Pro-Bowl players and 2 above average guys on that line. Dareus is no chump, but we can't stop the run.

CB - Byrd is a pro-bowlers, we aren't getting beat deep, Gilmore is considered a top tier CB, and McKelvin has maybe had 2 bad games. Williams and Robey have done great too.

WR - Just drafted 2 guys with potential as our 2 and 3 WR. Stevie could go either way, but not a glaring issue

TE - Yup, need one.

QB - That's for debate, but I will say this. Besides the Pittsburgh game, what games has he lost? Left the Pats game with the lead, beat the Panthers, Lost the Steelers game, Crushed the Jets, wasn't great today, but was in FG with Stevie to win it and Chandler was close. You can knock him all you want, but I don't see where an upgrade gets us more than one additional win. I don't count the injury against him because that happens.

So seriously, one more LB, a TE, and maybe a WR? I just don't see how that's really going to be the difference. It's more inconsistent play and a loser mentality that finds a way to show itself. I think that's what makes this more frustrating because I have no idea what to do next

QB in round 1 would be a good long term decision. I haven't given up on EJ but the position is so important that you have to keep trying. If you switch the QB's for these two teams today then the Bills win this game by 6 TD's. EJ played well at the very end, he seems to find calm in the clutch, which is good, but his passing was awful. He threw at least 3 should have been picks and his deep balls were not catchable once again. The one longer completion he had to Woods he almost got the guy killed. He is struggling with accuracy right now.

The team needs to shed the players that continually come up small in big situations. I think SJ is a very good WR for 50 minutes of the game and one that chokes when the game is on the line. That's the type of player the Bills need to get rid of because just about all NFL games come down to the last few possessions. I'm tired of watching guys give the game away at the end and it's become all too common.

With all the talk of EJ's inconsistency from what I've seen so far is that he's the opposite of Stevie. When the game is on the line suddenly he's firing confident looking passes that gain chunks of yardage. That's a guy I want to see how he develops.

Needs, in no particular order:

QB (This could be EJ if he improves, but right now, not cutting it)

RB (only if Fred retires)

WR (we need a WR with size and speed, Goodwin is fun, but no real consistent threat)

TE (need one that can catch, block and hold on to the ball)

G

ILB (need another LB to complement Kiko)

CB (Gilmore isn't cutting it, he can be our 2nd or 3rd string guy)

FS (Byrd isn't long for this team)

Honestly, we have a lot of good players on paper. We just can't put it together. I say it's the fault of a poor coaching staff, but who knows anymore.

1. TE - Draft two next year. Cut Lee Smith at the end of the season.

2. WR - Graham needs to go. Give two first rounders for Larry Fitzgerald.

3. LB - Kiko was awful today. Not saying he needs to be replaced but he still looks too small to play MLB. I would be ok with another MLB and moving him to weak OLB.

4. Add depth to OL

5. Resign Branch and Carrington

3. LB - Kiko was awful today. Not saying he needs to be replaced but he still looks too small to play MLB. I would be ok with another MLB and moving him to weak OLB.

4. Add depth to OL

3 - did you seriously just go after Kiko?

4 - doesn't change anything

5 - isn't a fix

So again, two people fix all this? What about giving up 34 points to a team who lost 5 straight

QB - position's too important to ignore if you don't have a franchise player.

WR - We have no #1 receiver on this team.

DB - Our secondary got absolutely toasted today

TE - a need, but not most important if you have a franchise QB (which we don't at the moment).

Kiko's a beast. Probably the best defender on our team. Give him 1-2 years and his neck will be bigger than your thigh.

Edited by kas23

TE - Yup, need one.

Gilmore is a top-tier CB? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? He's looking like Aaron Williams 2.0 at CB and, at this rate, we'll have to convert him to FS to take Byrd's spot.

Gilmore is a top-tier CB? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? He's looking like Aaron Williams 2.0 at CB and, at this rate, we'll have to convert him to FS to take Byrd's spot.

I agree. I'm just saying what's being said about him. I don't know if it's the injury or what, but he's taken a serious step back this year

The Bills could use a true #1 wide receiver with some height and a pass catching TE. On defense, another CB or two would be helpful. But the real need is an above average QB. I hope EJ is the guy, but if we draft high enough this year, I would still take a QB in the first round. Below average to poor QB play has plagued this team for years. It needs to end.

We need a new owner. Until then, nothing else matters. Save your ticket money.

I don't understand the owner talk. Did ralph fumble the ball twice. Did he miss a block. Did he miss open receivers? Did he blow his coverage on a receiver for a TD? Should he be flipping the bird to the other team. Ralph doesn't sign the coaches, ralph doesn't sign players, ralph doesn't coach the team. Ralph just owns the team. Do you blame the owner of McDonald's when they put pickles on your Big Mac and you asked for none

4. Add depth to OL

OLBs in a 3-4 are basically pass rushing DEs. His size would hurt him even more when not protected by Williams and dareus

The needs of this team remain the same as they did at the beginning of the year....

- TE.....stop throwing afterthought at this position....resign Chandler AND draft a TE high.....a guy who is athletic....open when he is covered....flypaper hands AND can block

- LB....(and I have no problem flip flopping these in order now that our pick will be high) but we need lb's that will scrape and attack like monsters....I was expecting Bradham to be Kiko's running mate but that didnt work out......wanna stop the run? You need athletic linebackers that can fill.....

- LG......a road grating plow the road LG that can get to the 2nd level in the running game and open things up for our RB's

- ANY WR that replaces Graham.....who is an absolute joke of a starting WR

I have a tough time understanding why we our need for a QB is greater than the need for a TE. Could you explain that one?

Because while players like GIlmore have been up and down......we already know after less then a season that Manuel is a bust even though he has played pretty well for a rookie.

The run defense is still this teams biggest problem but I honestly don't know where to upgrade

I don't know if they need more of a run stuffer in the middle of the def line, another LB or if its scheme

Edited by Max997