The Atlanta Falcons week 13

YoloinOhio

One more point- after this Thursday the Falcons will be 2-9. they will be eliminated from the playoffs at that point.

Talk about a team with absolutely nothing to play for that came into the year as many peoples SB teams.

The only thing that stinks about this game is it is in a dome.

IF this game of all games was outside in December the Falcons would have little to no shot. They can not run the ball and have a very bad D.

The best thing is to allow the Falcons to get into short yardage situations because of their inability to run the ball. Over the past two seasons i can not tell you how many short yardage situations the falcons have to take to passing to Gonzalez.

Steal a page of Belichick's book and do not let Gonzalez off the line. Treat him lik eyou do a gunner on a punt.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that... wasn't that the game around Halloween that year, we were like 5-1 and then Fitz got his contract extension and we went on a losing streak?

Yeah, that was the game. Don't think we were 5-1, but maybe we bounced back after a couple losses (jets comes to mind)? Anyway, Fitz took a huge shot to his ribs and basically couldn't hit a pass the next few weeks. Anyway, the Toronto deal sux and there is no home field advantage for us. At least we get to play an NFC team (though we need them all at this point so it doesn't matter as much re: conference) and they're pretty bad right now. Particularly vs the run, but they've been burned by deep throws as well. The Falcons aren't a bad matchup for the Bills, really.

While this game scares me a little bit, it's really not that bad. Atlanta's defense has been atrocious. The Bills just walked through a Jets team that sacked Manuel 8 times in the first game. This last game was much much better. Simple stat here folks. Buffalo is +7 on turnovers in their 4 winning games overall. In the games they've lost, they're -6. If they take care of the football, they should win this game pretty handily. I do agree with the comments about the running game though. It's going to be pretty hard to run the table if they don't get that going.

Didn't realize they play Thursday.... so they have a mini bye week too. Of course.

Which was another point in the unfair schedule thread. I know they get 10 days off but the tolls of playing 2 games in 4 days will make their practices a little softer leading up to us IMO.

Edited by The Wiz

Yeah, that was the game. Don't think we were 5-1, but maybe we bounced back after a couple losses (jets comes to mind)? Anyway, Fitz took a huge shot to his ribs and basically couldn't hit a pass the next few weeks. Anyway, the Toronto deal sux and there is no home field advantage for us. At least we get to play an NFC team (though we need them all at this point so it doesn't matter as much re: conference) and they're pretty bad right now. Particularly vs the run, but they've been burned by deep throws as well. The Falcons aren't a bad matchup for the Bills, really.

We were 5-2 after that Redskins game... then went on to lose the next 7 and 8 of the last 9. Ho hum.

I went to the Seahawks game at Atlanta a couple weeks ago (won free box tickets). Atlanta looked pathetic. No control of the line whatsover on either side of the ball - they just looked like all the fight had been taken out of them. Running game was DOA and Ryan was running for his life much of the game. I realize Seattle is good this year but there was no contest. Then against Tampa Bay, same thing this weekend - Tampa gets only their second win of the year and easily has their way with Atlanta. By all rights we SHOULD win this game, but that fact alone scares me. I hope to God they don't announce in the papers that Mike Smith's job is on the line just prior to this game. It would be just our luck to have the Falcons give their best last gasp effort against the Bills in that case.

Ever game scares me at this point because they are all "easy"

And I remember looking at the Steelers early this year and thinking how awful they looked, our DL would dominate their OL, we would run all over them, etc.... and how disappointed I was when not only didn;t that happen but their WR who had been benched the week before came out and looked like an all-pro and made our "shut-down" corner look ridiculous. Every week is a test. The Falcons were 4 pts away from going to the SB last year. So, I am trying very hard not to get my hopes up. But one thing I will say is that it has been awhile since we were still in contention in December (next game is 12/1). Granted, that is mostly b/c of the AFC parity, but I'll take it!

I went to the Seahawks game at Atlanta a couple weeks ago (won free box tickets). Atlanta looked pathetic. No control of the line whatsover on either side of the ball - they just looked like all the fight had been taken out of them. Running game was DOA and Ryan was running for his life much of the game. I realize Seattle is good this year but there was no contest. Then against Tampa Bay, same thing this weekend - Tampa gets only their second win of the year and easily has their way with Atlanta. By all rights we SHOULD win this game, but that fact alone scares me. I hope to God they don't announce in the papers that Mike Smith's job is on the line just prior to this game. It would be just our luck to have the Falcons give their best last gasp effort against the Bills in that case.

I do not think Blank is that type of owner. He will fire Smith after the season. I do not know for sure if Smith gets fired or not. Bt if the Falcons finish 2-14 or 3-13 then chances are good he will be. The injury excuse goes only so far.

I do not think Blank is that type of owner. He will fire Smith after the season. I do not know for sure if Smith gets fired or not. Bt if the Falcons finish 2-14 or 3-13 then chances are good he will be. The injury excuse goes only so far.

Especially when they were 4 pts away from the SB last year? Maybe Dimitroff should be accountable too for not having the depth to overcome the injuries? SF has had a lot of injuries too (Willis, Crabtree) along with the Aldon Smith situation and it has affected them to a point but they have still managed to win the games they are supposed to win.... so I hear you. It feels like Smith has been on the hotseat every year because they would get to the playoffs and then it was they had to win a a playoff game, they finally did that and now this...

but Spiller has two weeks off... EJ will fall in love with him after the Falcons game

I think this is huge. EJ needs to continue playing like last week and we NEED CJ to be a weapon and with 2 weeks to prepare, i sure hope they find ways to get him ball alot more. He needs 20+ touches a week and will finally be healthy enough.

Hopefully the issues with OL and run game will get worked out during bye week cuz CJ is a game changer when he's on. Freddy is more a move the chains, gritty type runner and when CJ is "on" he makes Freddy so much more effective at what he does.

Also, with SJ13 and Woods back, we can finally have our 3 best WR's on field at same time with EJ which hasnt happened since week 1 and that lasted a quarter when Goodwin got hurt. He HAS to have finally fully overtaken TJ in 3 wide sets (if SJ and Woods are back). TJ has to slide down to #4.

I think our D will get 4-5 sacks and we will get at least 2 turnovers from Ryan. This should be a very winnable game and with next 2 games vs TB and Jax, we could very easily be a .500 team to close out year with 2 HUGE division games with Phins and hopefully a pats team that has its playoff slot decided so they have nothing to play for...

I've been a Bills fan and havent missed a game since i was 11 and now i'm 33... I feel as though being a Bills fan has easily taken a good 5-10 years off my life with the stress! Hopefully EJ can continue progressing cuz if not, this QB class is EXTREMELY impressive and will be very hard to pass up some of those guys if EJ doesnt come out and impress and WIN some ball games.

With the rest of the schedule, ended season at .500 should be a MUST and if we end up with a double digit loss season they need to rethink the QB situation

Especially when they were 4 pts away from the SB last year? Maybe Dimitroff should be accountable too for not having the depth to overcome the injuries? SF has had a lot of injuries too (Willis, Crabtree) along with the Aldon Smith situation and it has affected them to a point but they have still managed to win the games they are supposed to win.... so I hear you. It feels like Smith has been on the hotseat every year because they would get to the playoffs and then it was they had to win a a playoff game, they finally did that and now this...

You are correct about Dimitroff.

The Julio Jones trade as well as the Gonzalez trade have cost the Falcons depth.

Also Dimitroff has not shown himself to be very astute at picking linemen on both sides of the ball. His first rounder P. Jerry has been a McCargo type bust to this point.

S. Baker has been often injured and has not been good when in there at LT. The Falcons actually moved him to RT.

Also the Clabo signing and then his decline killed them coupled with McClure the center retiring after last season. Also Harvey Dahl who was the 'mean' guy on the Oline was allowed to walk.

Falcons are ripe for a Bills running over. The only thing which makes me a little nervous is that it is in a dome. Outside in Buffalo in December i think this would be a laugher.

I think we were 5-3 coming off a bye that put us at 6-3 and then we lost 6 of 7 I believe

Edited by matter2003