Greg Cosell: "Glennon is best QB in rookie class and it is not eve

YoloinOhio

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> However, the key is to know when to pull the plug.

Also agreed. As an example, the Carolina Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen's replacement one year after drafting Jimmy Clausen. Assuming Newton continues to be as productive in the future as he's been in the past, pulling the plug when they did was a very good move on the Panthers' part.

That's a very poor example of pulling the plug let alone showing the knowledge of when to pull the plug.

No team who drafts a QB with the 16th pick in the 2nd round has any real expectations that the QB will become their future franchise QB......if they did they would have drafted said QB in the 1st round.

Adding to that......the Panthers had the #1 pick and an extremely rare opportunity to obtain a super high potential draft prospect QB. Even had Clausen showed some promise in his rookie year they would have been crazy not to draft Newton.

Saw Glennon a few weeks back in Seattle and was quite impressed. Ran the offense well and threw crisp, accurate passes vs the vaunted Hawks D. Not the best second half though and Pettine would be wise to look closely at that film.

That's a very poor example of pulling the plug let alone showing the knowledge of when to pull the plug.

No team who drafts a QB with the 16th pick in the 2nd round has any real expectations that the QB will become their future franchise QB......if they did they would have drafted said QB in the 1st round.

Adding to that......the Panthers had the #1 pick and an extremely rare opportunity to obtain a super high potential draft prospect QB. Even had Clausen showed some promise in his rookie year they would have been crazy not to draft Newton.

> That's a very poor example of pulling the plug let alone showing the knowledge of when to pull the plug.

You forget to whom you speak! :P

> if they did they would have drafted said QB in the 1st round.

The Carolina Panthers didn't have a first round pick the year they took Clausen. They took him with the first pick they did have.

> Adding to that......the Panthers had the #1 pick and an extremely rare opportunity to

> obtain a super high potential draft prospect QB.

My point exactly. When deciding whether to draft a replacement for the "QB of the future" already on the roster, one of the factors to consider is the quality of the replacement prospect. As I'd mentioned in my earlier post. :)

My point exactly. When deciding whether to draft a replacement for the "QB of the future" already on the roster, one of the factors to consider is the quality of the replacement prospect. As I'd mentioned in my earlier post. :)

I very much doubt that the Panthers ever held much hope that Clausen would be their "QB of the future". They would have had some hopes as every team would have when drafting a QB that late......but they would also certainly have had the knowledge that his chances of becoming said "QB of the future" were very slim.

Blaine Gabbert

Weird-Squint.jpeg

Just because a particular player looks like he should be more of a winner than another player, doesn't mean he is.

OMG, where did you find that picture of Blaine Gabbert? I swear, he looks like he's selling aftershave...or maybe margarine.

Or overly tight jeans. Point is, he doesn't look "more like a winner" or leader to me, he looks more like male cheesecake.

Edited by Hopeful

Peyton Manning

peyton_manning2012-big-ver-upper.jpg

Blaine Gabbert

Weird-Squint.jpeg

Just because a particular player looks like he should be more of a winner than another player, doesn't mean he is.

No, but if he has shown to be more of a winner, that may mean he is.

Glennon college W/L 16-11 (including 1 Bowl win) NFL W/L 2-5

Manuel college W/L 25-6 (including 4 Bowl wins) NFL W/L 3-3

Glendon is a decent QB. Although I can't stand Schiano and live here, I like him moving on from Freeman to Glennon. He'll be decent. This team has been frustrating as Tampa is not as bad as their record in terms of talent. It's somewhat like Buffalo a year ago. Lots of decent talent and poorly coached. For christ's sake, the the Stache is a coach here. Do I say more?

But when my boys and I are at that game, I can't wait to see my defense crush the Bucs. I like the Bucs, but love my beloved Bills. No matter how long I live here.

Glennon streak of almost no pics will change on December 8th. I foresee a 4 sack day with th e announcers stating by the end of Q1, the highlight UNDER PRESSURE for Glennon.

These next few weeks are going to be fun. I can't wait to hear buffoons like Sapp on NFLN give their opinion when we rip off 5 in a row going into Foxboro.

Tim Tebow led his team to two BCS Championships, and two SEC Championships. As Skip Bayless pointed out, all Tim Tebow does is win.

Not sure what Tebow has to do with this, other than it is another thing Bayless likes to crow about in an obnoxious manner. The Tebow argument of a guy who was very successful in college who wasn't successful in the NFL would only hold water if there were not multiple examples of other QBs were very successful in both. Tebow did not "lead" his team to 2 BCS Championships, btw. In the 1st, he was a freshman who played in certain packages. Chris Leak was the starting QB.

He looks good, there's no denying that, he inspires confidence in the pocket, unlike Geno.

He certain looks like the real deal. NFL defenses are learning to neutralize the read option QB, but the legit pocket passer is not a fad and likely will continue to win into the future.

Edited by kas23

Not sure what Tebow has to do with this, other than it is another thing Bayless likes to crow about in an obnoxious manner. The Tebow argument of a guy who was very successful in college who wasn't successful in the NFL would only hold water if there were not multiple examples of other QBs were very successful in both. Tebow did not "lead" his team to 2 BCS Championships, btw. In the 1st, he was a freshman who played in certain packages. Chris Leak was the starting QB.

Thanks for the correction about the BCS Championships.

My reason for bringing up Tebow wasn't just to have an excuse to link to that song! Honest! I also wanted to demonstrate that, just because a QB leads his college team to a lot of wins, doesn't mean he'll be good in the NFL. Vince Young is probably another guy you could put in that category.

When evaluating college QBs, I'm much more interested in whether they've established themselves as pocket passers than in their teams' winning percentages.