New GM, New Philosophy

ChanOverChin

It seems as though D. Whaley has scoured the waiver wire and the practice squad of every team looking for good young talent to help improve our overall depth. I love it!! I think it's something that needs to be done to be able to compete with the best.

Here is a not so short list of players currenlty on our 53 man roster who were brought in AFTER the final cutdown in Sept. 2013:

1. QB T. Lewis - Has potential

2. RB R. Wingo - Has not played

3. FB E. Rodriguez - Has not played

4. OG A. McClain - Has not played

5. M. Asper - Has not played

6. OT/OG JJ Unga - Has not played

7. K D. Carpenter - Has been outstanding

8. P B. Moorman - Has been solid

9. DT S. Charles - Nice potential

10. OLB T. Powell - ST player

11. CB B. Smith - Has not played

12. FS J. Leonhard.- Has been very good.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I even heard Whaley repeat a Nix sentiment: its a game of big men, and we want to get bigger.

I think that was Marrone, regarding the Unga signing. Could be mistaken, though. In any case, you are correct that it's an almost verbatim Buddy Nix quote as well.

Every year we seem to get one or 2 players that we get from other teams that are really consistent players Craig Urbik, is one & Rhinehardt was another so we have always been active in picking up players from other teams PS or WW .

I think that with this years draft class & the few that we may have found if for nothing else but good depth players & if we hit next year in the draft like we did this year OMG !!

Yeah, this doesn't seem at all different from in-season roster management under Nix. Remember Scott Chandler, Kraig Urbik, and Erik Pears?

Chad Rhinehardt

I agree.

Probably just have more of these moves now since we have a new coaching staff with new schemes in place.

I'm not even sure there's more now. During the Gailey/Nix years, it seemed like the Bills signed or cut a practice squad guy almost every week. If there is an increase this year, it's not a huge one.

I know the Bills have made moves in the past to bring in depth, but not like this. Those past moves a lot of times were just to fill a roster spot because of an injury. This regime is cutting guys for poor play and bringing in replacements.

During the season we cut starting OG C. Brown, cut CB J. Rogers, cut P Powell and have made a shiittt ton of moves in season to get better. There are THIRTEEN new players on the roster today from when the start of the season and the practice squad has been nothing short of a revolving door.

These guys are constantly looking to get better.

I know the Bills have made moves in the past to bring in depth, but not like this. Those past moves a lot of times were just to fill a roster spot because of an injury. This regime is cutting guys for poor play and bringing in replacements.

During the season we cut starting OG C. Brown, cut CB J. Rogers, cut P Powell and have made a shiittt ton of moves in season to get better. There are THIRTEEN new players on the roster today from when the start of the season and the practice squad has been nothing short of a revolving door.

These guys are constantly looking to get better.

nix was on board for cutting our starting qb his first year. lets not act like its a total left turn.

you mention powell, who was replaced by moorman, but not that moorman was replaced mid season by the last regime.

Edited by NoSaint

I agree with many here on this new GM/Coach tandem -- it does feel different --- if only Brandon would give them some money to flesh out the roster over the off-season --- we need a couple FA's and another good draft and EJ to be good (doesn't have to be great) --- this could be a legit playoff team with upside in future years --- again --- Brandon HAS TO give them the money ---- otherwise, we'll be watching our talent leave ----

I'm not even sure there's more now. During the Gailey/Nix years, it seemed like the Bills signed or cut a practice squad guy almost every week. If there is an increase this year, it's not a huge one.

I would be curious to know how we compare to the league average.

On one hand, maybe bad teams make more in-season moves, because you are looking to get better at weaker positions. On the other hand, maybe all teams do this.

I would be curious to know how we compare to the league average.

On one hand, maybe bad teams make more in-season moves, because you are looking to get better at weaker positions. On the other hand, maybe all teams do this.

I think the 49ers are on their 13th third string QB this year

The Pats* cut a guy every week.

In short all teams do this