Dan Dierdorf to Retire from CBS after the Season

26CornerBlitz

I actually think, all in all, Dierdorf was one of the best Sunday afternoon analysts in the game. I think a lot of people can only remember him from his MNF years (when the Bills were on MNF 2 or 3 times a year)...Dierdorf has admitted, himself, he never could strike the balance on MNF between overstating things, or over-hyping things...because of the stage of MNF, producers encouraged the color guys to be "over the top", and to put their imprint on the game.

Once Dierdorf moved to Sunday afternoon games on CBS, I think his performance was much improved...certainly one of the very best that CBS had to offer. Dierdorf knows the game as well as anyone...however, broadcasts now give color guys very little time to break down plays (something DD was excellent at), between advertisement, sponsership announcements, etc etc..so they often can't get their point made in an efficient amount of time...I think people were way too hard on the guy. CBS announcers, in general, are pretty bad...its' a pity, because back in the day (when the Bills were a nationaly relevant team) NBC had a great stable of play by play and color guys.

I know I am very much in the minority on this, but I will miss Dierdorf, especially given the alternatives.

Good post, I too will miss him. Who does CBS have that's better? Simms?

Is it just me or is our record when Dierdorf announces 0-49?

He did the 31-0 game!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, I too will miss him. Who does CBS have that's better? Simms?

Yeah. I think Simms is the best color analyst, even though he can annoy me, and I couldn't stand him as a player.

Even if you don't like what Simms says, he is never as loud as Dierdorf.

I think there are very different types of people on this board. No one I hang out with has ever voiced any kind of support for Dierdorf.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

@richarddeitsch

I spoke with Dan Dierdorf earlier today. Here's why he's retiring: http://nfl.si.com/20...sting/ …

Dan Dierdorf said he nearly didn’t work as an NFL broadcaster this year.

“The reality is, from a physical standpoint, it’s too much for me, especially the travel,” Dierdorf told SI.com from his home in St. Louis. “I have two artificial knees, two artificial hips, nerve damage in my legs, and it’s a struggle for me to walk. That’s the reality of it. Ask anyone who has seen me go through a press box.”

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He dumbed down the game for the the casual fan, using a self-assured blowhard's voice. It was the way he used his voice that annoyed me as much as the inane comments.

and not soon enough, I turn off the sound when he is doing games . . . drone, speak boringly, go on and on, talk at length; intone, pontificate; informal spout, sound off, jaw, spiel, speechify, bloviate, etc.etc. and usually about nothing of relevance

I agree with JR and MauradersMicro. I've considered him an Obnoxious Blowhard from the onset and I'm relieved I won't have to tolerate him anymore after the season.

I remember one particular instance when Dierdork was still on MNF and the Bills were on during the glory or post-glory years. He had obviously spent some time with some of our civic leaders earlier in the day or earlier in the week. Those hosts had clearly told him about some of the prouder distinctions of our area (ie - Buffalo is the birthplace of the grain elevator).

Dierdorf with obvious derisiveness and in a mocking voice, parroted many of the facts he had learned earlier that day in brazen disrespect to his hosts. His voice was dripping with sarcasm and he was practically scoffing when he repeated the items of interest about the area that he had learned.

It was the most classless display of broadcasting I have ever seen.

In later years, it always seemed to me that even when he said nice things about the area or the team, that his tone was patronizing and insincere.

His retirement comes as great news.

THANK GOODNESS! What a wind bag. Anyone who liked this guy....I question your ability to listen effectively. Not every popular player can be the best ever and that is how he seemed to comment whether on MNF or otherwise. Can he take Gumble with him?

I hope he enjoys retirement because I don't want him to rethink this decision. Congrats Dan.

Yeah. I think Simms is the best color analyst, even though he can annoy me, and I couldn't stand him as a player.

I think there are very different types of people on this board. No one I hang out with has ever voiced any kind of support for Dierdorf.

Listen closely to Simms. I disagree. He offers no insight at all, especially for a QB.

I don't know who is the worst, but he was more than bad enough (who do you consider worse?).

Obviously, everyone has their own taste, but it's just as obvious that he annoyed MANY, MANY people.

The NFL is more enjoyable without him.

Dierdorf is bad. It just seems like the game has passed him by, although he is not alone in this. I am sick of announcers like Diedorf who assume that any coach who does not kick a FG on 4th and goal from the 1 has a death wish. Gruden, however is hands down the worst announcer alive. He is the only one out there who can truly make a game unwatchable. I think he's killed any chance he might have had to get another HC job--not that he cares.

So after reading some more opinions about this matter, it remains crystal clear that "different strokes for different folks" rules the day. Some here have said that Gruden is the "absolute worst." So the NFL & ESPN keep employing the "worst" color man in the business for their premiere showcase, Monday Night Football!? WHY!? LOL

I'm with Buffalo Barbarian above.....I watch for the game & the teams playing, and rarely care and/or pay attention to what the announcers are saying. A "good" announcing team isn't going to make me watch the Jags vs. the Falcons.

Thinking logically, and seeing that Dierdorf has been employed for so many years, I guess the people in charge thought he was more often good, than bad. I would surely think that if they got enough complaints and negative feedback on the work he was doing, they would have replaced him. OR OTOH MAYBE, the bosses think like me, and realize it just doesn't matter who's calling the games, so they hire whoever costs the least.

I didn't hate Simms as a player, but IMO, he is far and away, the worst of the major color guys...ok, he and Jon Gruden...I am sure there are some just as bad doing lower level games....but man, he is remarkably bad, to me. The guy can't complete a thought and confuses himself half the time...like he can't manage two thoughts in one sentence...sometimes, I find myself shocked that he is still talking, and I really have no idea what point he is trying to make....and as goofy, and obvious as some of the things Dierdorf or Madden might say from time to time, they are rarely as blatently just flat out wrong as Phil Simms, on a consistant basis... Simms takes exception, it seems, to anything that falls outside the parameters of his old school mentality about the game...and he will harp on it, even after all the evidence in front of him says he is wrong.

Now, as bad as I think Simms is, I do enjoy him on Inside the NFL, which is more scripted...of the major color guys, I would take Aikman (if he didn't come with Joe Buck) and Collinsworth over him in a heartbeat...

Edited by Buftex

The guy openly rooted for us to lose week 1 against NE. Everything NE did was amazing. He also openly waited for us to choke in the KC game. I don't care if he's a nice guy he's a choad of an announcer who gets about as indepth as a 12 year old playing catch in a parking lot