Leodis McKelvin - Shutdown Corner?

LB3

This kid deserves a ton of credit for how he's played. He's been incredible. He looks more confident than he ever has. He's always been able to stay step for step with anyone but couldn't locate the ball well enough to defense the pass. He is now locating the ball really well. He hits like a truck too. When we signed him to his new contract it seemed like a lot for a guy who was a great returner and an average corner. Well I am now ecstatic that they did make that deal because this scheme fit's his press man ability perfectly. He's even played better than Gilmore. Pairing him with Gilmore (once fully healthy and acclimated) and Robey at corner and Williams and Byrd (please sign him long term next year FO) at safety I think we could challenge Seattle for the best defensive backfield in the league.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McKelvin has played well, and of that there's no doubt. However, I think that there's a fundamental problem with reasoning as to why he's playing well. Very simply, when your defensive line gets pressure and gets it quickly, it makes QB's rush their throws. Any QB in the NFL that's given time is going to be able to pick you apart. Geno passed for 331 yards in week 3 and looked all world. The Bills really didn't get to him much that day. Not the case yesterday. McKelvin has always been aggressive. It suits him well when the front four are doing their job, but will be a liability when they don't.

McKelvin has played well, and of that there's no doubt. However, I think that there's a fundamental problem with reasoning as to why he's playing well. Very simply, when your defensive line gets pressure and gets it quickly, it makes QB's rush their throws. Any QB in the NFL that's given time is going to be able to pick you apart. Geno passed for 331 yards in week 3 and looked all world. The Bills really didn't get to him much that day. Not the case yesterday. McKelvin has always been aggressive. It suits him well when the front four are doing their job, but will be a liability when they don't.

I really wish Leo didn't go out in the first series when we played the Jets the first time. He could have made a huge difference. I agree with your point that pressure helps corners as it definitely does, but that goes both ways. Take away receivers and the d line has more time to get the QB. Luckily, both of our units seem pretty solid to this point in the season.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I would like to hear what Leodis has to say about his improved play.

It's mind blowing in so many different ways. Most significantly, Leodis has always been horrible at tracking the ball or playing the ball in the air. Now, it's like the best part of his game. What changed?

when multiple things fall in to place it is funny how an entire structure can be solidified. We have a safety duo that doesn't have to always cover the MLB we have an MLB who can move in his lanes and scrape without being double teamed. We have a DL that can penetrate and move the pocket as well as cover the gaps that provide lanes. We have the OLB's that can cover the flats. That jist makes it that much easier for a CB to play his man.

Pettines system fits this unit perfectly and I believe that is a major reason he chose Buffalo.

I have a wish list id like to send him for Christmas. I want him to try a few things. Especially come NE I have been working on what I will do to beat them and stop that offense. I'll post stuff about it later but if we keep seeing this progression and develop a DE opposite Mario who can drop to pass once in a blue moon...Carrington can, then we will see Robey with some nickel back sacks. Also we have numerous ways we can generate pressure with fronts that result in coverage sacks on a 3 man rush.

I think the change is that we have a DC that adapted the defense to the players we had instead of forcing the players to adapt to the defense Wanny wanted. Byrd said yesterday that the players have a lot more options this year.

I guess I get your point from a "sake of arguement" perspective, but do you honestly believe Geno has the same stat line in week 3 with a healthy McKelvin and Gillmore? Have you ever heard the term "coverage sack?"

I guess I get your point from a "sake of arguement" perspective, but do you honestly believe Geno has the same stat line in week 3 with a healthy McKelvin and Gillmore? Have you ever heard the term "coverage sack?"

He may have. He had all day to throw in that first game. I only recall one time yesterday where he had a lot of time, and that resulted in the long completion to Holmes on that cross, on which McKelvin was covering. The pressure really rattled Geno yesterday.

It's a combination of factors I believe...

For one, the team is putting pressure on QBs, so the CBs don't have to cover for a half hour; that helps.

For another, for the first time in his career, Leodis isn't being asked to play a heavily-schemed coverage. He's lining up in man 90% of the time; that's what he's good at, and it shows.

McKelvin has played well but teams seem to be concentrating on Gilmore and considering his play I cant blame them

i really like Robey in the slot

I would say it's a good thing if it's a pick your poison type situation. They do seem to be going at Gilmore this year, which could be due to not being 100% yet. How many catches did Gilmore give up yesterday? I only remember 1 for 33 yards to Holmes.

Also, completely agree on Robey. He looks like a 1st round corner (based on his play and not his size) and we got him undrafted. It's nice to be the team that finds the gem and doesn't have to worry about how their scouting could be so wrong on a guy. I know we passed on him every round too, but we got him in the end.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

McKelvin has played well but teams seem to be concentrating on Gilmore and considering his play I cant blame them

i really like Robey in the slot

What kills me about Gilmore is that he holds on every play. He just mugs the receiver all the way down the field, and then, a lot of times, still is giving up the catch. There were several plays yesterday where he very clearly should have been called for interference or illegal contact, but really lucked out.

chicken or the egg??? Is the DL better because the coverage of the DBs or are the DBs better because we're getting better DL play? They really go hand in hand. Let's just be happy that we're firing in all cylinders at this point of the season.

chicken or the egg??? Is the DL better because the coverage of the DBs or are the DBs better because we're getting better DL play? They really go hand in hand. Let's just be happy that we're firing in all cylinders at this point of the season.

Marrone gave the DBs a lot of credit in his presser yesterday.

If the first read isn't there, then that extra tick to find the second is about all it takes for the Dline to get there.